(Int'l Friendly) Frankreich gg. Deutschland 02.06.13 [R]

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by ForeverRed, Feb 3, 2013.

1. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I'm definitely for Badstuber as opposed to Boateng. Boa is a fine defender, but on the left Badstuber is the best at what he does and I'm not surprised Loew agrees with me.

Schmelzer has great pace and is intelligent enough to know when to burst forward, but he needs protection and I'm just not sure if he gets it with our style of play. In 2010, he would have made a great impact but now, he needs to know how to defend 1 v 1 and rely on himself to get the ball back. With BVB its more of a combined effort, thats the difference. I'd welcome another defender just because I don't feel Schmelzer is good enough.

2. squad

squad Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Götze will be Germany's best player by the next world cup.

Dhajj repped this.
  3. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Squid is that you?

4. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I actually think that Boateng would be a better partner for Hummels, because he is athletic enough to cover behind him when he makes one of his forward tackles.

5. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Well - he will definitely have spawned the most teenage haircuts by the next worldcup

I swear every boy in germany tries to look like him :D

6. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That thought has crossed my mind as well.

7. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Kid's awesome, but I doubt it, IMO he'll still be behind Ozil and Reus for sure, and probably behind Schweini, Khedira and Hummels.

Agreed, Boateng doesn't have Badstuber's passing range, but his vastly superior athleticism makes him a better fit in a highline with Hummels. Especially with the way he's broken out this year next to Dante, who is very Hummels like as a defender.

8. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hummels and Boateng also formed a very effective partnership on the Germany U21 team as well.

9. squad

squad Member

Jan 15, 2013
    That is true. But he is still the most talented German player out there and if he keeps improving at the rate that he has been doing in the past 2 years he'll be the best player.

The most striking thing is his confidence. When he emerged it went against the "loser" mentality they had at BvB. Guys like Sammer and Riedle said he was the best German talent in two generations and I think they are right.

10. fleckes

fleckes Member

Sep 16, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Boateng played with Höwedes as his CB partner. I also think that Höwedes should be in the mix to form a CB duo, but somehow Löw doesn't seem to like him. If I recall correctly Höwedes has not once played as CB for Germany. Just as RB (or LB in the friendly against France)

11. Hendrik

Hendrik Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Deutschland
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    No love for Kroos anymore? He was like your favorite player ever a while back.

Lahmfan repped this.
  12. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He moved to FCB so squid's love of Kroos disappeared along with that move. I love that I'm not the only one here that thinks this "squad" guy is just squidward 2.0.

13. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    My mistake. I forgot that it was initially Höwedes and Hummels paired up, but Hummels was such a disaster at CB that he was benched after the group stage, and later played as a DM in the semifinal and final.

14. Dr Faust

Dr Faust Member+

Jul 12, 2010
    Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I would like to see a Hummels-Höwedes partnership at CB (followed by Hummels-Boateng and Hummels-Badstuber, in that order) and I think Götze is the most talented German player outside of Özil.

15. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I wonder why so many rate Höwedes as a CB. He can't even beat out Matip or Metzelder for a starting position as CB in Schalke.

16. Raumdeuter

Raumdeuter Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think the following year, Hummel Howedes paired in CB and we were demolsihed by Iceland 4-1

17. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That's not accurate and it's not why he's deployed as fullback.

18. squad

squad Member

Jan 15, 2013
    ?

Götze > Kroos in terms of talent. Not even Bayern fans can deny that.

odd1234 repped this.
  19. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    He's more athletic but thats about it, he can amend for his mistakes with his athleticism but as an all around defender he's just not as good as badstuber is. Badstuber makes clean tackles, minimal fuss and usually just prevents the striker from getting the ball, Boateng is a lot messier.

This could all change after injury though. Badstuber being out for a year does him no good in 2014.

20. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Then why is it? I really don't know why he's not a centerback for the club he's so mediocre going forward.

21. Fussballer

Fussballer Member+

Liverpool FC
    Sep 18, 2002
    In my head
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The guy on the bottom?:ROFLMAO:
    [​IMG]

22. Dr Faust

Dr Faust Member+

Jul 12, 2010
    Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yes. I think the guy on the bottom is more talented than the guy in the bottom.

Vasu, squad and Cris 09 repped this.
  23. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Reus seems to me to be slightly more complete than Goetze in my eyes right now. He is more clinical, has a better shot, has a bit more stamina and workrate, and can dribble more naturally and easily IMO. Goetze has better passing and vision, more creativity, better technique, and bigger potential.

24. Leinad

Leinad Member+

Jun 13, 2006
    Düsseldorf
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Reuus can dribble more naturally and easily than Götze, what? Götze is already one of the best dribblers in europa, especially in tight spaces while Reus needs a lot more space for his "dribblings" which are more about using his pace than trickery.
    Götze is the player that comes closest to Iniesta and I'm certain that he can reach his level.

25. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Pace works and often it is what makes or breaks dribblers, it is the rare dribbler that can dribble multiple defenders and truly be great at dribbling without it; Ronaldinho, Figo in his later years, Zidane, etc. Messi, for example, rarely beats his man through "trickery", although he is absolutely capable of it, don't get me wrong, but just through sheer acceleration, phenomenal close control, and changes in direction. Götze, I've never really seen anything that truly wowed me in terms of dribbling, whereas Reus seems to be better at beating his man. Götze compared with Iniesta? That's a pretty serious comparison, unless you mean simply stylistically. Götze is extraordinary, but Iniesta is practically already a legend, and although Götze COULD reach Iniesta's level, he needs to surpass the likes of Özil-Fabregas before we can even make comparisons between Götze and Iniesta.