International Champions Cup?

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by iride_mybike, Apr 15, 2013.

1. sikesy7

sikesy7 Member

Bayern München
    United States
    Aug 6, 2012
    Ellicott City, Maryland
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Berks I knew you were a Galaxy fan obviously, didn't know you were an Everton fan as well. Who do you choose between the Galaxy and Everton?

2. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are people actually excited by this? can't say I give a damn about these friendlies anymore. I laugh that a season ticket holder benefit I receive now is the "opportunity" to buy tickets ranging from $50-$300 for a stupid friendly.

Maybe that's just me though.

The Cadaver repped this.
  3. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I enjoy them, particularly with teams we haven't played before. Everton would be great. I really do not care to see Real Madrid again any time soon.

Berks repped this.
  4. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Galaxy. I like MLS better due to it's parity, players and overall atmosphere. And the fact I can watch games.

5. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Already bought tickets. Yes, we do exist.

6. Cyclonis

Cyclonis Forza Juve

Jul 12, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  7. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes it would be. An embarrassment for the money-grubbing promoters. But a gold star for LAG fans giving a big FU to this phony event. Don't go.

dashiel, Beakmon FC and WarGalaxy repped this.
  8. JBZTV

JBZTV Member+

May 10, 2009
    I'd be going if I didn't have a wedding that day. When did we turn into such snobs? It's a bunch of swell players in an amazing stadium, for a fun 5 hours of soccer in our home town. This is supposed to be fun. You can't enjoy the show, also without treating it as the most important thing ever to happen? Seriously, get a grip...you sound like the retarded cousin of the EPL fanboy who won't stop telling us about how terrible MLS is.

9. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    retarded cousin? Thanks a lot. I just don't see it the way you do, so I guess that makes me retarded.

And Dodger stadium, or any other baseball stadium, will be a crap place to watch a soccer match unless you enjoy getting a crick in your neck by turning sideways to watch a game.

10. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not shobbish to not want extra dates on an already crowded calendar.

We'll have played 43 (34 league, 4 CCL 12/13, 4 CCL 13/14 and 1 USOC) competitive first team matches between March 3rd and October 27th. For those of you counting at home, that's a game every 5.5 days, or roughly 4 games every 3 weeks. That's all before playoffs too. If we had progressed in the CCL and USOC this year, we could have added another 6 competitive matches and potentially 5 in the playoffs. I don't really care to add another game onto that.

I understand why we do it and can accept it for those reasons, but I'm not required to like it or pay way too much money to watch us try and not get hurt mid season (poor Alecko). Post/pre season? Go crazy.

jmaestro and The Cadaver repped this.
  11. JBZTV

JBZTV Member+

May 10, 2009
    We get it. It adds games. But they're games the starters maybe play a half in at 3/4 speed. Last year we had 3 games around these friendlies and won 2, then lost the cramp game in Seattle. Same thing in '11' 2 wins and a loss in Seattle in 3 games sandwiched around the friendlies. In '10 we won 2 road games, one in CCL around the Madrid game. At no point have the friendlies stopped us from qualifying in CCL or really hindered our league form at the time of the games. We've won loads of trophies the last couple of years while they have been happening. Yes, Alecko got hurt in one. Given what happened before and after with him, do you really think it wouldn't have happened in any other game the rest of that season?

I understand it's not for you. Nobody's forcing you to pay the money. In fact when they're part of season tickets, they can make you a nice chunk of change. It's just annoying how EVERY. SINGLE. TIME one of these are announced, people's heads explode and act like its the worst thing ever to happen to the club. They're dumb friendlies that some people enjoy going to, the players love playing in, and they make lots of money to pay the Robbie Keanes and David Beckhams of the world. Most importantly, they are going to happen EVERY SUMMER, no matter how angry you get about it. So why waste the energy? If we want to get mad and start screaming about something, there's lots I can get behind. Our ticket prices, food in the stadium, mid-90's jumbotron technology, signing shaky old euro goalkeepers...

12. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Oh, please do provide us with your authoritative list about those things we are allowed to get angry about and those things which we are not permitted to get angry about. It will make life so much easier if you would just tell us in advance what we are allowed to post about. Perhaps then I will not appear so retarded if I follow your authoritative instructions.

jmaestro and WarGalaxy repped this.
  13. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I said above, I accept these friendlies and the reasons behind them. My head did not explode when they were announced, I do not think they're the worst thing ever. I'm not mad, nor am I screaming. I think the financial rewards from these friendlies probably are worth the downsides at this point.

I can do all that and still dislike them knowing that they will probably always exist so long as MLS stays on a calendar year schedule (which is to say beyond my lifetime). I have the capacity to be actively against these friendlies knowing it won't change. I have the capacity to think in shades of grey. I can vote for a 3rd party candidate knowing that it won't change anything but my own vote.

You're the one who seems rather upset at someone else's opinion, so I'd probably take a page out of your own playbook and not waste the energy.

14. JBZTV

JBZTV Member+

May 10, 2009
    Much like I can have an opinion about a topic without feeling all offended someone disagrees with me. So probably best I just stop sharing this one.

15. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the problem isn't that you have a different opinion about this topic, but it's when you joined the discussion you said basically anyone who doesn't have the same opinion as yours sounds like a "retarded."

16. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nobody said you can't have an option.

Nobody called you any names.

Some people had the audacity to disagree with you, and I guess that isn't allowed in your world.

17. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feel free to share your opinion. I'd probably not feel as free to call people who disagree with you retarded, though. There's a plethora of reasons why not to, but if I have to explain them to you it's a lost cause already.

Grumpy in LA, hav77 and The Cadaver repped this.
  18. OC Galaxy Fans

Jul 30, 2009
    Placentia
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now included as STH bonus game c. Is that a sign of how ticket sales are going?

19. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just saw this. "Bonus Game C"

Way to screw those season ticket holders who were dumb enough to buy tickets already.

Way to screw those of us who have no interest in going to the games at Dodger stadium.

I swear, this season just keeps getting better and better......

mbar repped this.
  20. JBZTV

JBZTV Member+

May 10, 2009
    I'm on the record obviously as not being against this friendly, but that is CRAZY BS. Do they honestly think we're dumb enough to not figure out that it wasn't selling well so they figured we'd get in free so it wasn't empty? When STH who wanted to go probably already bought tickets? I know it wasn't her decision, but I wrote my rep a scathing letter she hopefully passes along. This stunt, along with me actually researching what other clubs charge for my seats for their STH is really making me want to not renew.

21. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Such BS. I have no interest in this game but now I've paid for he tickets. And only because thei original plan of screwing the season ticket holders who actually want to see this into forking over more money Wasn't going so well. Such a joke.

22. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still
    Not
    Going

23. cleschke

cleschke Member+

Aug 16, 2004
    Fullerton, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what's the resale value of these bad boys on stubhub? :)

24. forie

forie Member+

Sep 14, 2007
    Costa Mesa
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ICC Rosters:
    @LAGalaxyInsider: The rosters for the Guinness International Championship Cup have been announced. - http://t.co/zsOhh8XkMa

25. DRINGO

DRINGO New Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Ayup Fella's ! how goes it ? I'm an Everton fan from liverpool and was just looking at the internet to see how much exposure this tourny was getting ? and a couple of points :-

1. Didnt realise it was middle of your season! seems a bit strange though I know Man united had to do something similar a few years back in the middle of our season had to play a few games in Brazil for a world club tournament so happens to the best of clubs

2. I see most still look at us as a small team ? I wont talk about our history but think we're getting better again now and the footballl we play should be really good. Indeed Barcelona have let us loan out one of their best young players as they beleieve we'll play a similar style to them under Martinez and really looking forward to watching the lad Deulofeu ( the new Messi )

3. I know we're not champions this year but neither are most of the teams in it ?

4. Watch out for us blues we dont have any tarts playing for us ! and have sime skillful like Mirallas ! I think he'll take the prem by storm this season after a settling in period last year in which he still scored some great goals !

anyway I'm really looking forward to it ! good luck for the rest of the season and give my love to Landon ! top man !

GalaxyOne and galaxydeadhead repped this.