International Champions Cup?

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by iride_mybike, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it'll surprise no one that I like this. It combines our marketing games and I love the teams we're playing. Marketing ploy, but I like it and hope that one day it turns into a real tournament.

This of course might be the marketer in me talking. ;)

2. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a pretty sizeable American/Turkish population in the US now so I'm not surprised at this. Being Turkish I would LOVE to see these two teams play one another and I'd take my dad to the match.

I'm wondering where Galatasaray will build their camp - NY, LA, Chicago and Toronto are where the Turks are.

EDIT: I just saw the New Jersey reference. Doesn't surprise me based on my note above. Paterson, New Jersey is "Little Turkey."

3. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not in SF - not a big population here (majority are connected through schools). In LA they are spread out. It's in New Jersey.

Wouldn't be surprised if they participate either.

4. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reaming teams announced:

[​IMG]

5. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My mantra for these 'tournaments':
    Don't get hurt, don't get hurt.

6. JBZTV

JBZTV Member+

May 10, 2009
    Getting mad at these things is like getting mad that the sun comes up and it might give you a sunburn. It's going to happen every summer and no amount of yelling will stop it. Most of what soccer is to me is a fun night out...so treat it as a fun night out where you don't care as much and get to see some famous dudes.

Berks repped this.
  7. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And one can always hope that there is enough of a market for ticket resale to take down the cost of my season tickets. I am all for soaking the rubes.

8. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    And the occasional good result in these matches, while ultimately meaningless, is often quite exciting.

Berks repped this.
  9. raymondleone

raymondleone Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LA Galaxy vs Real Madrid​
    August 1​
    Phoenix​
    West Semifinals​
    August 3​
    Dodger Stadium​

10. 100fyers

100fyers Member+

Aug 30, 2010
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Klein and Arena get anything from these meaningless friendlies, I hope they begin courting my dream signing CR7. I don't care what it takes get this one by any means necessary! Plant that seed, hell call beckham and get him involved in recruiting I mean I don't care like nike "Just Do It"!

Beirut repped this.
  11. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reaming? Freudian slip?

The Cadaver repped this.
  12. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perfect for Berks.

Berks repped this.
  13. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't like the sound of this.

14. LBHalos

LBHalos Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate these friendlies. All of the Eurosnob fans that supposedly "love" soccer but never bother to come to a Galaxy MLS game will ignorantly have the time of their lives and then tell all the Galaxy/MLS fans that they should be happy because they finally saw a "quality side" play, not the "crappy" Galaxy.

These friendlies dont build our brand at all. I have a Eurosnob friend that I started bringing to Galaxy games in early 2012 and he had fun at every game, excitedly wanting to go with me every time. But when his favorite team Real Madrid destroyed our team 5-1, he began to refuse to go to games and told me that why should he go to Galaxy games since he already saw "real team" and "the best in the world" play?

That being said, I have an intense hate for Real Madrid after the last 2 seasons of friendlies. At least that came out of it. Screw them.

Cyclonis and The Cadaver repped this.
  15. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm with you 100% on this. All I can say is LAG better be making BIG coin on this because if you are going to sell your credibility, you better get a good price.

(Not that travel across country and three additional games are going to hurt our pursuit of the Supporters' Shield or the Open Cup....:rolleyes: I don't EVER want to hear any LAG guy complaining about the tough travel schedule in MLS again, given what they are VOLUNTARILY subjecting themselves to, for essentially no benefit).

16. Estiv-0

Estiv-0 Member

Aug 15, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who do you guys think will come out to the Galaxy games? As in what squad will we see?

17. JBZTV

JBZTV Member+

May 10, 2009

Sounds like a douche.

Berks and Cyclonis repped this.
  18. Grillinnap

Grillinnap Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Downtown Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn it, Chelsea avoid LA again. Why oh why do they keep doing this?

So do you only need one ticket since both "2nd round" matches are on the same day?

19. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Exactly what are they Galaxy doing in a tournament with these superclubs with salaries in the $100s of millions? The odds of more ugly losses are quite high, and as we saw last season it can have an effect - big loss to Seattle followed the big loss to Madrid at home.

20. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, maybe we can pull a "Carolina Railhawks" on them. :)

21. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want to see us use the same line-up in these games that we used last night. Give Onolfo and the boys a chance to redeem themselves.

22. Cyclonis

Cyclonis Forza Juve

Jul 12, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I know it sucks that its a mid-season tournament and all, but at the end of the day, I want the Galaxy to win everything possible! So c'mon people! I'm looking forward to seeing Dodger Stadium filled with trendy LA soccer fans and the opportunity for the hardcore Galaxy faithful to show them what true fan support is all about! :D

23. Cyclonis

Cyclonis Forza Juve

Jul 12, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    BTW who effed up and accidentally invited Everton and Valencia to the tournament? More prestigious teams from South America would have been better.

24. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's how I felt about the Open Cup.

But if we are going to blow something off, this joke of a phony tournament is the thing to blow off.

25. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now this is what we should go ahead and deemphasize. Straight up. The Open Cup was the wrong tournament to deemphasize. This one here, go ahead and half-ass, I don't care because you're not heading to the CCL winning this dog-and-pony-show.