Interesting survey from USSF Referee Program

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Bubba Atlanta, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    ... in the inbox this morning. Focused entirely on our views of our own state referee administrations. Thoughts?

2. funsoccer12

funsoccer12 Member

Oct 23, 2016
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Clearly hoping to gain evidence to enable them to take more control away from state associations.

Law5, fairplayforlife and threeputzzz repped this.
  3. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    It doesn't even ask you which state you are registered in. I'm curious if the links we received are the same - did your link end in L6V9NZM?

refinDC repped this.
  4. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yes that is where you end up, but you are actually going to ussoccer.com with what looks like 100 digit hexadecimal number. I would guess that they know exactly who you are when you get there.

5. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    upload_2017-10-20_10-11-56.png

I am also offended that everything is a question, but the responses are of the agree/disagree variety. You may agree with a statement, not a question.

Battler and refinDC repped this.
  6. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was quite the survey. It doesn't really try to hide what they're looking for. I'm choosing not to do it since I registered in MN in 2017 and NC in 2018. I have better things to say about one vs the other, but I don't know what state the survey will go for/against.

7. Boots_McCoy

Boots_McCoy Member

Oct 14, 2015
    What’s wrong with the idea?

The fact of the matter is the State Referee Committees of a significant number of State Associations are comprised of out-of-touch, baby boomers who either never played the game or weren’t as successful back in their “glory days”.

It’s like this; let’s say a young referee - one who not only has a knack for the job but has also proven himself through the games he / she has done up to that point in their career - approaches a member of his SRC and expresses a desire to be a National or FIFA? How can somebody who has never gone through the process offer guidance on how to accomplish that objective given the one giving said advice has never gone through it?

8. Boots_McCoy

Boots_McCoy Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Who gets offended by that? Please explain to everybody how the purpose of a survey like this - one specifically design to measure a concept in a QUANTITIVE manner - is insulting?

This is Research Methods 101, bro. All surveys are designed like this. You can’t measure qualitative concepts which is exactly what you would have if the survey allowed for comment.

9. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point, with the way things stand now, nobody has gone through the process.

I've lost count of the times I've heard someone make a statement along the lines of "I'm a former FIFA official [insert other positions such as former MLS referee/current PRO employee/USSF national coach, etc. etc, as you see fit], and I can't tell you the right path for moving up toward (or maintaining) National certification is right now."

I won't quibble with the assertion that some state associations need reform because surely some (or many?) do. But the implication that more control from the federation is the answer, given the opaque nature of things at the top right now, is one that many people who deal directly with Chicago might take issue with.

So if this is designed to institute reform to benefit the masses--the 98% of referees who don't move up the ladder--fine. Honestly, given the fact that the federation is supposed to serve all referees, I've got no problem with that. But we shouldn't assume or pretend this is about streamlining the "National Referee Program." If it was, to begin with, this wouldn't be a mass survey. Moreover, if it was, the states aren't the big issue right now.

Geko, nylaw5, refinDC and 1 other person repped this.
  10. Boots_McCoy

Boots_McCoy Member

Oct 14, 2015
    You’re 100% right; it’s not solely about streamlining a process, National Referees, etc. I was merely using it as an example. I apologize for not clarifying.

Good contribution to the conversation / topic by you though!

11. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    From a design standpoint, the survey is not well designed. Insulting? No. Poorly designed? Yes. The first item is a question :"Do you believe that there is a general lack of oversight in the administration of your state referee association/program?" You cannot agree or disagree with that. Its a question. The answer is either "Yes/No/I do not have enough information to answer the question." Agree or disagree doesnt really make sense. In addition, most of the questions are "Do you believe something negative is going on?" They are written in a slanted way.

In reading the questions its seems clear they want evidence to back up their belief that something is wrong. At least that's what I took as first impression in reading the questions. There may or may not be something wrong, but they are fishing for evidence that something is wrong.

refinDC and Law5 repped this.
  12. camconcay

camconcay Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Feb 17, 2011
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not taking a side on being offended but in my opinion it was worded or designed the way it was to be confusing. The way I read many of the questions it seemed to me that you had to agree with a negative or disagree with a positive - no reason to do that. As it is if the results do not come back a certain way then they can reissue the survey saying it was confusing.

I am NOT saying anyone is trying to manipulate anything as I do not know, it just seems a very odd way to try to gather unbiased data.

13. Boots_McCoy

Boots_McCoy Member

Oct 14, 2015
    One more thing if I may; specifically, regarding the part of the link you redacted. What are the first and last characters? Mind look like this:

“gs=6e....e7”

Are yours the same or different?

14. djmtxref

djmtxref Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Offended is probably the wrong word for me, but Dayton Ref is correct. The ordinary use of likert type scales like this is to have a statement "(T)here is a general lack of oversight in the administration of your state referee association/program". Strongly agree ... strongly disagree.

Nine of the questions are negatively worded, the other three are in some ways more general. Questionnaires that are not design with an agenda usually have a balance between positive and negative statements.

The three questions that aren't clearly negative are:

Do you believe that your state referee association is in alignment with the U.S. Soccer referee Program policy?
    Do you feel that there is a clear and defined pathway for referee development and advancement in the current referee landscape?
    Do you believe that the current referee program in the country reflects the current soccer landscape of the United States?

If you think the National program is the problem and answer in that regard, how would anyone know?

15. camconcay

camconcay Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Feb 17, 2011
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that is what I was trying to say in my post - thank you.

16. Boots_McCoy

Boots_McCoy Member

Oct 14, 2015
    I actually don’t disagree with you. I highly doubt anybody at U.S. Soccer has a comprehensive understanding with regards research methods, how to formulate questions that are objective, etc.

17. Boots_McCoy

Boots_McCoy Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Fair enough.

18. Boots_McCoy

Boots_McCoy Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Agreed.

19. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the end goal of USSF? Anyone have any guesses? Is this all about streamlining the state/national track refs? Or is this something involving the 99%?

20. Boots_McCoy

Boots_McCoy Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Ever had a discussion about your State Referee Committee with a U.S. Soccer employee who’s first name starts with an “R” and ends with a “K”? Last name starts with an “E” and ends with a “Y”.

Needless to say, I have and the conversation and this survey tell me a lot about the U.S. Soccer’s end game.

21. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    About NC? Nope. I'm still too new to the state to have talked with anyone about or on the SRC.

22. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Do I dare ask what good ol' Ricky has to say about our SRC's?
    I unsubscribed from US Soccer Referee emails so I did not receive the survey email. Or any email since may.

23. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    Based on this thread it would seem Chicago has decided to assert more control at the state level:
    Source for 2017 LOTG
    This survey looks like an attempt to justify that approach.

24. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    What manner of email carried this link? Last Referee Program Update I have is Oct 1, but perhaps I'm not sniffing the same glue as you guys.

25. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Sorry everyone I'm married to a teacher who has to deal with poorly designed standardized tests and see overly stress kids trying to pass a test to be passed to the next grade when the questions are, well bad. When I see stuff like this I get really angry because this should have been easy to be good, not excellent.

Law5 repped this.