Interesting season ticket sales information

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by okcomputer, Aug 6, 2005.

1. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    in the chat Greg Elliot had on MLSNET.

"Jenn from Austin
    It's pretty amazing that you have sold over 4,000 season tickets. Is that a record for the club??

Greg Elliott
    We've actually sold just over 5,000 and my standard is what the rest of MLS is doing. Right now, L.A. is twice where we're at and D.C. and Salt Lake are doing well. We've doubled our previous high but we're a work in progress. The new stadium is part of our future and our present. Our goals are to sell a lot more than 5,000 to make this a viable business so we're not as reliant on walkup sales. People need to see the park before they'll make a committment to it. As more people come into the park that number will grow. Our goal is to get to 8,000 - 10,000 season tickets. Chances are we won't get there this year but in the future I could see us leading the league in season ticket sales."

Sounds like LA must have near 10k season tickets a year. I was surprised not to see Columbus in there because I had always heard they had alot of season tickets. Maybe Andrulis caused people to cancel.

2. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Columbus had just over 10,000 season ticket holders in 1999 (year Crew stadium opened). Some of those were partial season plans though. It has fallen considerably since. My guess is 6500-7500 currently. You can look at the announced attendance for several of the later Andrulis matches and get an idea. There wasn't much of a walkup for those games. Advance single game sales were probably less than 1500.

3. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I know the Galaxy counts partial plans and then adds them (pro-rated?) into the overall figure.

So, 3x5packs = 1 season ticket equivalency
    3x10packs = 2 s.t.e.

4. chayes

chayes New Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    All teams do that.

5. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The "season ticket" measure has always amused me.

The number of season tickets sold is interesting but not nearly as useful to know as the dollar amount of season tickets sold-- or even advanced tickets sold.

5,000 seats behind the goal
    @ $11 per game
    times 30 home games (?) =
    ..........................$1,650,000

Move it up to $25 per game
    for touchline seats
    and magically that number becomes
    ..........................$3,750,000

I know I bought a single cheapy season ticket to support the SSV effort to save the Quakes this year. Will probably do the same at the end of the season.

6. ne plus ultra

ne plus ultra Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Depends what use you're putting it to. For my purposes, the number of season ticket equivalents is much more useful. I want to know how many people are very into MLS. I'm not as curious about how wealthy they are, which is what multiplying by price tells you. That's just me.

7. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    aside... and in my haste, I calculated for 30 home games. What a dufus.

That's a good point ne plus ultra... but I still think that money rules. How many times have we heard attendance figures of 15k when you know there were no more than 7k in the stands. And we justify it with "But that's tickets sold."

Tickets sold does not equal attendance, but revenues means the league can survive.

8. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Who is playing 30 home games????

9. cosmojado

cosmojado Member

Oct 18, 2002
    in sin
    There are season ticket holders for the HDC this year.

In what used to be the expensive seats for LA games, this year those seats were sold but sold by the HDC and the package was for Galaxy and Chivas games.

I don't know how or if those numbers are in the total.

10. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    cool...

11. cosmojado

cosmojado Member

Oct 18, 2002
    in sin

hahaha

those seat holders were not saying cool when Real Madrid came to town.

The LA FO bought tickets for galaxy season ticket holders, but those people that had the expensive seats were told "you have HDC season tickets, not galaxy season tickets", so they had to buy tickets as if they were the general public.

12. goatnutsgoal

goatnutsgoal New Member

Jan 29, 2001
    On the street gettin
    Crew Stadium is great I went to the all-star game and spoke withsome of the people that work there and asked why ticket sales are down. The team suck and the coach was the devil! I think once they etanother forward and a new coach they be fine. Tickets sales went up once they fired the coach.9,000 to 13,000 thats a good sign.