Interesting article about MLS salaries - link

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Colo-Chelsea, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Colo-Chelsea

Colo-Chelsea New Member

Nov 24, 2003
  2. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    Worth repeating...
    and again

3. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice find.

So is there even a salary cap now or is AEG just allowed to stock their favorite teams while other owners learn how to break the ever changing rules?

4. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    Some interesting quotes from the Ratings page:

5. Rei de Boston

Rei de Boston New Member

Mar 16, 2004
    I have to say that Whal's thoughts about the importance an owner can have cannot be overstated. Just look at RSL and Cheketts. They are putting together a great orginization, even if the team stinks. There is an obvious commitment there that is just not found in Rapidsland.

Kroenke is going about this all wrong if he really does want a winner in the Rapids. I am beginning to find myself in the camp with those who feel he only sees this as a real estate opportunity with the stadium.

On a good note it is nice to see that the Rapids did not rate anyone as being overpaid. That goes to the tight pursestrings of the owner and some credit to the GM and Clavijo. So good job there.

6. nowar99

nowar99 Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    This info is pretty interesting.

Clint Mathis has got to be the most overpaid player in the league. Of course nobody on the Rapids is overpaid, although an argument can be made that any money to Wolde Harris at this point of his career is overpaying.

7. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
  8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or Leo Cullen, or Eric Denton, or Ricky Lewis, or Zizi Roberts. Whoops, sorry about that last one, flashback...

9. Quango

Quango BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2003
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Hey, $1.5 million sounds familiar. Sounds like a uniform windfall of some sort. Are we team Adidas? Well at least someone is paying their salaries.

10. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    "Hey, $1.5 million sounds familiar. Sounds like a uniform windfall of some sort. Are we team Adidas? Well at least someone is paying their salaries."

Actually with $15M/FY between 12 teams it is $1.25M from the uniform supplier. That means to break even they have to sell 250K worth of tickets and stuff + cover the coaches salaries, rent at Westminster and Invesco and other overheads ... like those Puma balls. ;>)

11. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think the adidas money was actually cut up evenly.

12. nowar99

nowar99 Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Especially since it doesn't seem like all the teams are even in the Adidas jerseys yet.

13. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Giving Wolde a jersey for a weekend rec league team would be overpaying... :D

Wahl chose Luchi as underpaid among the Rapids. He could have just as easily chosen Cannon, as others have said, who deserves every penny for holding this franchise on his back.

I really do hope our low salaries are making room for more quality players (and starters). We have certainly reaped what we have sown in the standings...

14. Daksims

Daksims New Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Colorado
    Anybody notice who was considered most underpaid for RSL?

15. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    Yeah look up at one of my earlier posts in this thread

16. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    personally I think pablo should give 5k to each of his teammates with the obvious exceptions.

And right now i'd place Cooke as overpaid like Wolde ... but i'm hoping that proves to be incorrect since he had a nice last game.

i'm going out on a limb and saying the Rapids are pretty close to breaking even this season.

I can't belive i was a full 300k under my prediction of what their payroll was.

Oh, and seeing what Nkong makes ... he's not a bad player to have on your roster if you remove the fact that he's a SI.