Interest-Only Mortgage Loans

Discussion in 'Finance, Investing & Economy' started by Liverpool_SC, Mar 16, 2005.

1. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    What about an interest-only loan for us poor schmucks who live in LA? I figure the interest-only payment on a house I would like in my current renting neighborhood would be about $2,800 per month.

Let's say I commit to leaving that home in 5 years. Is it really then just a gsamble that the Miracle Mile area of LA housing market won't plummet?

2. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes.

Gamble that housing prices won't plummet (which has happened before) and that you can sell the house in time.

3. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah, that's what I figure. Do "real" banks actually offer these loans, or is it only internet banks, etc.?

4. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really banks would be happy to offer you this loan. They're just going to turn around, STRIP/repackage it, and sell it off anyway.

5. dc1955

dc1955 New Member

Jul 10, 2003
    Off the top of my head, interest only loans are offered by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and HSBC here in Virginia. Are you counting them as internet banks vs "real" banks because the have websites?

6. hokiesoccer

hokiesoccer New Member

Apr 30, 2004
    Ask someone who bought a house in Cali in 1990. They got crushed and probably did not get above water until the late 90's. It was brutal. Prices fell 20-40% in many areas.