Inter vs Sao Paulo: Libertadores Finals [r]

Discussion in 'Copa Libertadores / Sudamericana' started by SoccerScout, Aug 4, 2006.

1. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Hmm.. You don't seem to be too mad about Sao Paulo eliminating you guys, do you? :rolleyes:

2. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Internacional wasn't intimidated about playing on foreign turf, as I expected them not to be. Credit to Rafael Sobis for scoring his team's goals - the first was a brilliant play; the second was an opportunistic, well-timed shot.

I will step out in boldness and say that the expulsion of Josue was well-deserved. He elbowed Rafal Sobis. Having said that, Jorge Larrionda erred in not issuing yellow cards to Inter on two occasions in the first five minutes... there were two very hard fouls committed by the Porto Alegre team's players on SPFC players that were worthy of cautions.

If SPFC wins this tournament, Internacional can track its defeat from Fabinho's slap. He had no reason to do that, and it was an infantile and unnecessary maneuver. Had he restrained himself, Inter would have carried its one-man advantage into the second half.

Rafael Sobis has a great future - he will be part of the NT. He singlehandedly shocked the SPFC fans with his goals.

SPFC, however, showed its pride and scored with EdCarlos. You know it's one of those nights when EdCarlos scores.

SPFC has to improve its passing for the second match. They were clearly nervous and gave away way too many balls. But they had a few good shots in both halves, and with a bit more luck, they would be headed to Porto Alegre with a draw.

The edge now belongs to Inter, but nothing is decided. A one-goal differential is not impossible to overcome. SPFC has won in hostile grounds before (Jalisco, Monumental de Nunez, Parque Antarctica) and it showed, through its efforts that came close to 2 goals after the second Internacional goal, that it can and will fight back.

Inter did great tonight. Nothing has been decided. Let's see next week.

3. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Who cried more because of Lugano's talk during the game last week... you or Bofo?

4. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    You have two options.

One, blame the CONMEBOL leadership for the rule changes that allow two teams from the same country to meet in the final.

Two, have other countries' teams advance to the final.

Otherwise... there's nothing retarded about this.

5. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Nah, I didn't mean it was "stupid".. All I was saying is that I find it less exciting when it's two teams from the same country.. That's all..

6. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    If it was Rio da Prata vs Boca Juniores would it be less exciting?

And if it was Rio da Prata carrying a 2-1 edge to a final match at Nunez, would you not be excited?

7. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    I've always been more of a country over club fan, but tonight that conviction was challenged.

SPFC was down a man, they held on; they went down 0-2 on home ground and fought harder for a redeeming goal after the second Internacional score.

Those of you who watched the game saw SPFC had a few chances on both halves that with a little more luck would have been goals.

WHy did Brazil not show either Inter's or SPFC's grit? Brazil's NT in Germany was infinitely more talented than either starting 11 tonight; yet these 2 teams showed far more heart and pride.

It's too bad.

PS: I want SPFC to win and believe it has a chance, but I will give credit to Inter (and to SPFC) for playing with heart. No one ever becomes a champion without heart.

8. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre
    Its very exciting to me!!

[​IMG]

9. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yup.. A lot less exciting.. I would prefer it to be one Argentine team, and one team from a different country..

Wait.. Make up your mind.. River or Boca? Boca is not from Nunez.. Anyway, of course it would be exciting.. I never said it wouldn't, specially if it's my team (River Plate).. But I don't think it would be as exciting to face Estudiantes de la Plata (or are you talking about Gimnasia de la Plata) compared to a Brazilian, Colombian, or Ecuadorian team for example.

10. Colorado_GAUCHO

Nov 16, 2004
    Porto Alegre-BRASIL
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    u r just jealous

SECADORES!!

INTER RULES!

11. Colorado_GAUCHO

Nov 16, 2004
    Porto Alegre-BRASIL
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    THANKS HERMANO!

12. olimpia84

olimpia84 New Member

May 22, 2006
    Bosque de Para Uno
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    Paraguay
    Jealous of what? I wanted Inter to win.

But then again it's Colorago Gaucho I'm talking to so.....

13. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    What does "secadores" mean? :confused:

And it seems that whenever Brazilian teams play against one another, they beat the shit out of the opponent. That first half yesterday was ROUGH. Excellent second half though.

14. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Secador is a fan of a rival team that watches the game and roots against the rival.

For example any Gremio fan was "Secando" Inter last night...

15. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Not only did Inter win...they dominated. It was a soccer lesson!

16. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It would never happen, as 'Rio da Prata' always chokes before the final. At any rate, assuming somehow they make it, it wouldn't matter. If Boca goes into Nunez 2-1 down, they'd still find a way to win. :D

Obviously (leaving aside superclasicos) it is more fun when teams from different countries dispute the trophy. But still I think it should be one hell of a match for anybody who loves football. 'San Pablo' has no choice but to go on the attack on the road, so it ought to be a wide open game.

17. fejas

fejas New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    Toronto, ON
    Sao Paulo got a big blow to their game plan after an injury to Mineiro in the 2nd minute that prevented him from playing 100% and then the red card to Josue (a fair sending off, by the way). Even when Inter was reduced to 10 men, it still managed to dominate the midfield and from there create more real chances.

Congratulations to all colorados, and may the best team win on Wednesday. So far there's no reason to doubt the title will escape from the gauchos, but one never knows with these things. Who could have guessed Olimpia would overcome the 1-0 loss at home in the 1989 semifinals? It's just one of the reasons why football is such a passionate sport.

--------
    Brazilian Futebol: http://www.brazilianfutebol.blogspot.com

18. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    I'm sure that if Rio da Prata won a Libertadores title by defeating Boca Juniores in the final 2 games you would not be excited. :rolleyes:

Inter won away yesterday, yes?

So if Rio da Prata won the first game at La Bombonera and was set to play the final match at Nunez, it wouldn't be exciting.

As for Estudantes da Prata or Gimnasia, it's too bad for them they aren't strong enough to advance far. Right now Velez Sarsfield looks promising for next year. Boca looks solid. I don't know much about Rio da Prata. But you guys better regroup - you didn't make it to the finals this year and it's supposed to be Rio da Prata's year when it ends in "6."

19. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Ahh.. My bad, you got me confused.. I thought you meant Estudiantes de La Plata, not River.. Anyway, of course it would be exciting.. And it's a superclasico so it would be really exciting.. But this is not the Brazilian superclasico we are seeing here.. So what's your point?

20. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    My point is that your claim that it's "retarded" that two teams from the same country meet in the Libertadores final is retarded in itself. I am not sure if you watched it yesterday, but that was one of the more competitive, exciting matches South American soccer had this entire year - and that includes our countries' roles in the World Cup.

The second half, I think, was as disputed as any Brazilian-Argentine confrontation in recent Libertadores memory (and there were quite a few... SPFC vs Rosario 2004; Boca vs. Palmeiras 2001; etc).

21. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    I found a few interesting statistics about Rio da Prata's performance in the Libertadores, and they're not too flattering. I'm not a Boca fan, so any disputes between Rio - Boca fans would be strictly material for me to enrich my knowledge of soccer. But, Rio da Prata fans have little to be proud of about their team in the Libertadores apart from 1986 and 1996.

22. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Estudiantes: Nah, they aren't that great of team. They just did good vs. Sao Paulo, but that doesn't mean they are that good.

Velez: Forget them.. They do not look at all promising for next year.. They lost their best players (Gracian, R. Zarate, Castroman -hes only injured though-, and Somoza). They were the reason that they had done so well in the Libertadores, and without them they are shit.. In fact, they lost 3-0 to Newell's last Sunday on their opening game.

Boca: Basically the same team as last semester, just without Abbondanzieri, Insua and Bilos, but with Bobadilla and Datolo. Yeah, I agree.. They do look solid.

River: Reinforced with Ortega, Belluschi, Lussenhoff, Marcelo Sosa.. This team looks strong.. In a few weeks, when everyone is fit, you will be seeing Gallardo, Ortega, Belluschi, Sambueza, Falcao, and Farias all starting together.. :eek: Not to mention a strong bench.. Last semester it was hard to win the Libertadores.. We had way too many injuries (Falcao and Figueroa out the whole time, and Farias playing on one leg vs. Libertad) and by the time the WC was over and we had to face Libertad again, we were left without our two key players: Santana and Montenegro. I didn't really expect to win this Copa, too much bad luck and a tiny selection of players.. It was just impossible.

23. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Then for your sake you better hope Rio Da Prata doesn't crash and burn like a certain team from Sao Paulo did, after gathering an impressive array of talents.

24. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I thought it was a great match.. But I just find it less exciting.. How hard is it to understand? You might love it, but I don't.. I still like it, I still find it exciting, but since I am not Brazilian, a Sao Paulo fan, or an Internacional fan, I don't find it as exciting as if it were Sao Paulo - Libertad, let's say..

25. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We'll see.. I have faith in this team.. In fact, we beat Lanus 2-0 with a good display of football/soccer last Sunday.. It might not sound that great to you guys, but we always have difficulties with Lanus.. Still, that doesn't guarentee a Sudamericana or a Libertadores, but atleast we are starting off on the right track.