Instead of expansion in Philly, bring the Mstars

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by soccerphan, Sep 9, 2004.

1. soccerphan

soccerphan New Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Philadelphia, USA
    what do you guys think of maybe just letting the Metrostars play a few games at the Linc each season. Soccer is a hard sell in Philly right now I think. I could be wrong though.

Anyway, the Metrostars would benefit by expanding their territory 80 miles to the south, we beneift by getting to watch Soccer live and on Comncast Sportsnet, and finally, the MLS beneifts by not having to worry about an expansion team failing.

I think it's a perfect fit. The Metrostars already do all they can to downplay the NY/NJ part of their name. The games could be split 70/30 or 60/40 between the Linc and Giants stadium (or the new one in Harrison, NJ)

2. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you seriously think Philly would cheer for a NY team?

3. soccerphan

soccerphan New Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Philadelphia, USA
    no doubt about what town you live in huh?? hahahaha,

under normal circumstances of course not. But the Metrostars really dont market themselves as a NY team per se. I'm just not sure an expansion team would do well. You know how Philly is.

I wonder how many of the Brits on the board would understand the Philly / New York thing

4. Danks81

Danks81 Member

May 18, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Just moved here I see. I hope everything went well.

As far as this idea working, no way in hell for the reasons Spartak mentioned.

5. soccerphan

soccerphan New Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Philadelphia, USA
    yeah, you're probably right. it looked good "on paper" though

6. Steve Holroyd

Steve Holroyd New Member

Apr 19, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd suggested at the beginning of the season that having D.C. play a few neutral site games here might make more sense...given Comcast's televising of D.C. games in the Philly market, fans would at least be familiar with United.

Plus, you avoid that unpleasant NY-connection. ;)

In any event...fans might queue up for the first few games as "tests" of the market for MLS expansion. Under no circumstances, however, would Philly fans "adopt" a perennial visitor in lieu of expansion.

7. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Probably similar to the London/Manchester thing -- or Liverpool/Everton.
    I'm not sure I understand the Philly/NY thing.

But you're right, Metro is more of a regional team -- TriState Metro is probably what the suits hope it is. Let us just hope they don't change the name in that direction! As a New Yorker, Metro feels like my team; I'm sure a JerseyFan feels the same. I'm not sure about any CT fans, the Revs being fairly close at hand, too.

Frankly, I wouldn't mind riding Amtrak south for a match out of the Swamp, once or twice a season. They should be MLS matches to get a handle on possible support in Philly, not friendlies..

8. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    my soultion would be to have dc and the metros play in philly twice, once when each is the home side....

no philly fan will root for any team NORTH of TRENTON!!

I do watch the dc united matches when they're on, just because it's soccer, but I really don't even root for any mls side...

I jsut look for good soccer, which means avoid watching colorado whenever possible!!

9. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Philly v NY thing
    Philly has a HUMONGOUS inferiority complex as the forgotten city on the Mid Atlantic corridor. The former capital situated between the current capital and the capital of the free world. Plus we never win when it counts. The Giants have done it, the Rangers have done it. I think that's one major reason why a lot of Philly soccer fans don't like an MLS team, they can't bring themselves to cheer for a NY or Washington based club.

I chose to focus my hate on the Metro and have been a DC fan since day 1, we had some great games in 96 that would have made instant classic status in a more watched sport.

10. soccerphan

soccerphan New Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Philadelphia, USA
    that about sums it folks. This is also the reason why, more than any other east coast city, you wont find Philly sports fans rooting for teams from other places. In Philly, you root for the Phillies, Sixers, Eagles and Flyers. That's it. You dont root for the Washington Redskins and the Baltimore Oriolesfor instance.

There arent two teams in each league to choose from like New York and even though we are VERY close to Baltimore and New York in terms of sports media markets (folks get NY tv in Trenton less than 30 miles away), you wont find many Orioles, Ravens, Mets or Jets fans in our media market

Now, having said all that...........for some odd reason, I dont mind rooting for the Metrostars. They are the closest MLS team so they're my home team. BUT, if Philadelphia ever got an MLS team, which I really really hope we do, I would switch allegiances in a heartbeat.

11. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They play in the Meadowlands; therefore no true Philly person would feel any shred of loyalty to the Metros. They do not represent the Philly metro region, but another (rival) metro region.

12. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    They should have an exhibition MLS match in Philly, but as a NYR supporter, Philly and the Broad Street bullies can go to hell. :)

13. Professor B

Professor B Member

Oct 13, 2000
    Grundy, VA
    It sounds to me like it would be an excellent promotion to bring the Metrostars to play in Philly once or twice . . .

. . .so all the Philly folks can come out and root against another NY team.
    ;)

Professor B

14. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those feelings are gladly returned. You can keep your filty Metrosexuals.

15. soccerphan

soccerphan New Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Philadelphia, USA
    I completely agree...........sorta. I live and die with the Phillies as much as the next guy, I live in a rowhouse in Oxford Circle and take the EL to work everyday. I wouldnt for one second expect anyone to pull for one of the New York teams we are born to hate. Everyone is posting based on the current environment. What I'm sugesting sounds weird as hell in the traditional sense. Some might even say it sounds outright crazy. Humor me and try to think outside the box (sorry, I hate those corporate catch phrases too, but it seemed like a good fit here)

The New York Metro region, media marker, what have you, is only 30 miles to the north of Philly.

My original suggestion was to make them TRULY Metro, bring em to the Linc for half their games for a couple of seasons......even an exhibition or two See if the Philly area bites at the soccer thing. It would open the Metrostars up to not only the 13 million people in the NY region, but the 7 million in Philly and the surrounding 9 counties. It would be the biggest MLS market BY FAR!! and the risk involved for the MLS is minimal

DC UNited could do something similar in Baltimore.

We aint talking about bringin the BLue Skirts to the Wacho Center to play home games, nor are we talking about letting the Jets borrow the Linc after they get kicked out of the Meadowlands. We're talking about the Metrostars. A relatively young company with an international roster of players, playing a game in which Philly has no team for it's rabid sports fans to align themselves with. Hatred of New York sports teams, in my opinion. is based upon my love of their Philadelphia counterparts. If I wasnt an Eagles fan, I would have no reason to hate the Giants. see what I mean? I think it would be a good experiment for the MLS.

this thread has been fun and interesting. thanks to all the replies. thumbs up

16. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    That's cool. :)

How original......:rolleyes:

17. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still sore because the Crew bitchslapped your Metros around all day Saturday?

18. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Actually, my jaw is still sore from the buck-a-brat night, but that's a good thing. :)

19. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mmmmm...nothing better than cheap over-processed meats.

20. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia
    I'm not sure this city has the right to talk smack about that....

21. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No Smack, I like the Buck-o-Brat Night!

22. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A Metro-DC game in Philly would be a good start, just to test the waters so to speak. I'd like to see just how many people would show up for an MLS game.

23. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    The big key would be how much advertising would be directed towards making the potential DC-Metro match known....

I'd suspect something around 18k would be the crowd...

now if ussf wants to get really creative, have a doubleheader, with the nats playing someone in a friendly and the dc-metro match and I'd say 50k+ would be likely.....

the dc matches on comcast might be of interest..if we consider the ratings...

saw dc last friday...and interesting to note the DC audience didn't come aboard until halftime was approaching...

24. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be interestng, but you would have to do more research to find out where the fans are coming from. many people from each city would travel for this game, as Philly is easily travelling distance for the fans. But something like this would be interesting...

25. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Oh, I think it's the best promotion in MLS. I just also think that this city has more than its fair share of bad processed meat. :p