(Insert Club Name) Will Never Be Relegated

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by eric515, Jan 6, 2006.

1. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just thinking about this last night, and thought it might make for a good debate. Which Prem clubs are almost certain to never be relegated? I think most everyone's list might look very similar, but maybe folks could make an argument for or against some of the choices.

Here's my three-tiered list:

Never
    Spurs
    Arsenal
    ManU
    Chelsea
    Liverpool
    Newcastle

Highly Unlikely
    Aston Villa
    Everton

Darkhorses
    Charlton
    Man City

Okay, so it's half the league, I know, but I was trying to come up with some less obvious choices. I feel like Villa and Everton just seem to have that Big Club ability to save their arses when the going gets tough, along with financial support. Charlton and Man City, of course, have both been relegated, but the Man City's move to City Stadium, and Charlton's re-developing of the Valley, along with a rabid fanbase, it seems like they could someohow stave it off for at least a long period of time.

Just a random thread, but what are your thoughts, BigSoccer Nation?

2. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Over the course of the Premiership I'm sure this list would have included Leeds, Blackburn and the Hammers.

Never be relegated: None

3. chrizzah

chrizzah Member

Aug 8, 2000
    DC

Apart from last year, Everton are perennial relegation candidates. If you look at the last ten years and assume clubs will operate that way into the future, only Liverpool, ManU, Arsenal and Chelsea could be considered as locks to always avoid or be in a relegation battle. I personally think that if Charlton don't right the boat soon, they will be in for a relegation fight this year.

4. musicl

musicl New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    I agree with your never list.

I dont see how Charlton are darkhorses never to relegated. They only came up about 5 years ago and they arent that good.

5. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    Everyone can be relegated.

Once upon a time Soton and Coventry were never relegated (or it seemed liked it for most fans)

But they were. All it takes is a few financial hiccups and you have a Leeds on your hands.

6. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just think its hilariously short-sighted to put Spurs, Newcastle, Charlton and Man City on any list of "never to be relegated".

Every team on that list, with the exception of Arsenal, Liverpool and Everton have been relegated in my lifetime. And I'm not that old.

7. sarabella

sarabella BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    But we always manage to escape, even if it is by the skin of our teeth.

8. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    ANYONE could be relegated. Just look at Leeds, CL semi finalists and only a couple of years later relegated. It all depends on finances, you would expect Man U not not be relegated because of the club they have become but money troubles could hit ANY club if they aren't managed right. WIth Liverpool and Arsenal moving into new grounds I wouldn't rule out money troubles for either of them!

9. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's why I categorized, I think Charlton and Man City are darkhorses. i.e., They aren't exactly powerhouses, but they have the wherewithal and resources to just avoid it, or hover in mediocrity forever.

Newcastle is more a matter of having one of the largest stadiums in the Prem, and a huge fanbase.

Of course, you can never say never. Who knows? Maybe Malcolm Glazer will F things up badly, and Man U will be in the Colaship in '09. :) Just thought a good hypothetical debate would be fun...

Kinda surprised no one's called me on Villa or Spurs yet. They are ones, on second thought, that could be considered shaky choices.

10. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Disco Stu says Nottingham Forest

Never is a long time

11. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only teams I don't see being relegated for a very, very long time are Liverpool, Manchester United, Chelsea, and perhaps Arsenal. Everybody else is really just a run of bad form or financial miscalculation away from having a scare.

12. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay...in our lifetime then... :)

13. musicl

musicl New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    I just think its hilariously short-sighted to say that Arsenal wont get relegated and Spurs could in your life time.

14. King-James

King-James New Member

May 27, 2005
    Leeds, even at their CL semifinal peak, didn't have anywhere near the financial support that clubs like Liverpool or ManU do. I don't think you can put those two in the same possibility realm.

15. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh, Spurs have in my lifetime. Arsenal have not.

16. musicl

musicl New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    Read the OP and you will see that he is talking from now on. Not the past. If it was what team will never get relegated from top flight English football then there is only one contender - Everton. (Except for teams who have never played top flight football).

17. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    why? they've been relegated twice.

18. sarabella

sarabella BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    Four times, actually, but not since the 1950s. We are the only club in English football to have played 100 seasons in the top flight, however.

19. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    And only spend 4 seasons outside it.

20. musicl

musicl New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    Then there is no one who's stayed in top flight always.

21. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  22. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    So did Coventry and Southampton.