Injuries due to plastic grass in MLS

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by jmeissen0, Sep 27, 2003.

1. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    -Jason Kries, ACL... Southlake, 2003
    -Josh Wolff, ACL... Naperville, 2002
    -Nick Rimando, ACL... Meadowlands, 2003
    -numerous instances of burnt, blistered feet... Southlake, Naperville, Meadowlands
    -players passing out (Galaxy and Metro player, 2003)... Meadowlands

others?

2. MD_05

MD_05 New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Ohio
    one of the crew guys (maybe Paule) twisted something a couple weeks back while training on turf prior to (edit) some game that was on turf.

3. MD_05

MD_05 New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Ohio
    ok, finally found it, it was in training prior to the chicago match sep. 6

4. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Artificial grass is getting closer and closer to become as real as real grass. Although never seen it myslef, I have heard field turf is almost there. I would imagine in the very near future, artificial grass will be better than real grass.

5. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Oh, come on...

I personally think that soccer should be played on real grass if at all possible, but sometimes this crap gets a little carried away. If a player suffers an injury on fake turf, then it automatically is blamed on the stuff. If a player suffers an injury on real grass, then it's just dismissed as an accident? The Denver Broncos have gone through running backs' knees like water and they play on (supposedly) the best possible real turf. There's no fake turf in the EPL, La Liga, or Serie A and every team has an injury list which includes knee injuries. The day may come when every MLS team has its own stadium with real green stuff growing in it, but until then, can we attempt to be a little more objective about the causes of injuries?

6. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Seriously, maybe there ought to be more research into making cleats that perform better on the new artificial surfaces.

7. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't remember a Galaxy player, but there was the noon midweek game between the Metros and the Wizards where Conrad had trouble.

8. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Re: Oh, come on...

True. The thread title is quite misleading.

I've played on Field Turf a few times, not often enough to provide anything more than anecdotes. It runs like real grass, none of the bounce you get off Astro Turf. But you can easily get your cleats caught in the gravel and I noticed that my feet started to hurt about an hour in. Plus, the dark gravel reflects heat, making it really hot in the summer.
    Otherwise, I forget that I'm playing on plastic.

Let's just say that it's nowhere near perfect and I prefer the real thing. But it's miles ahead of Astro Turf and I prefer it over an uneven or torn up natural field.

9. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    not much you can do about the amount of heat those fields kick out

i've worn some great running shoes for heat... but if you run on asphalt during the hottest part of the day in the summer... you're asking for it

just like you're asking for it with fake turfs in the summer for soccer

football is fine... they barely play 15 seconds in a row, it's more up and down... less lateral...

soccer... you can't do it... it's non-stop... all about...

10. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Artificial turf is an improving technology, which makes me fairly convinced that once they figure out some way to channel heat from the field (I imagine in the same principle that water is drained from some fields after inclement weather), someone like you will come back and figure out some new reason like to like artificial turf.

11. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For some reason the subject made me laugh. It sounds funny to me :D

12. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Artificial turf may be an improving technology, but that doesn't mean it's good right now. If they fix the heat issues, that will mean one of many problems is gone.

Are there any injuries that can happen on grass that can't happen on even new and improved turf? People often bring up Armas' blow out knee that happened on grass. That would have happened on turf too. Wolff blew out his knee on turf last year, and that would not have happened on grass.

13. SpongeBobSquarePants

Jun 18, 2003
    Silver Spring
    Re: Re: Oh, come on...

I play two games a week. One on the artificial turf and the other on natural grass. The natural grass field isn't all that good.

I don't know what it is about the artificial grass, but I always have swelling in my bad knee after playing there. The same does not happen on natural grass.

I think, perhaps, the artificial grass has too much grip when turning and stopping and ends up putting more stress on the knees.

Shoes, too, I have been told, make a difference. I do wear cleats on both and many have suggested I switch to running shoes for games on the artificial turf.

14. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Oh, come on...

I did my ACL on indoor FieldTurf-type grass, while wearing indoor Sambas.

15. Emre5

Emre5 New Member

Mar 25, 2003
    chelsea,the death of
    how can you be sure?

16. Emre5

Emre5 New Member

Mar 25, 2003
    chelsea,the death of
    My feeling is that playing on fieldturf can inflame your joints because the traction is very good.
    does any one have any actual studies depicting the injury ratios between turf, grass, and fieldturf?

Grass forever!

17. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    Anyone involved with Wolff and his injury claimed it was caused by the turf. While they may be wrong, they're certainly more capable of judging than you or me.

Armas' injury was a no contact, practically no stress injury. It could have happened while walking down the street.

18. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Injuries happen on the real stuff too. Thats why you need to collect injury data on a new type of artificial turf before you can say that its better or worse than the real grass.

Not saying that Articficial turf isnt a contributing factor, but before you start claiming that its the surface you have to get an idea of how many of these could just as easily happened on a grass field.

Hence this thread should really have a '?' at the end of the title, since we dont really know for sure if it was due to the turf, its just suspected it is.

19. chayes

chayes New Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Should we also make a list of players injured on grass fields?

Chris Armas
    Mathis
    Buciagra
    Whitfield
    Reyes
    (all ACLs on grass)

I'm sure there are more...

20. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not MLS, but Reyna.

21. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was Brian Ching's season-ending achille's heel rupture on grass or turf?

22. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    We would also have to count the number of player games on grass vs. turf.

23. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know if it means anything, but the Crew didn't even take Maisonneuve on the trip to NY last weekend because of the FieldTurf. Didn't want to risk his ankle, apparently.

24. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    The natural grass of Gillette Stadium. Sasha's injury occurred at the HDC. Chris Armas last year was on grass as well. Conclusions?

Turf: bad. Grass: better.

25. Speedball

Speedball Member

Feb 27, 1999
    Harrison Stadium
    [​IMG]

Sasa Curcic