Inform an Idiot (Buck Shaw)

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by JCUnited, Oct 27, 2007.

1. JCUnited

JCUnited Member

Oct 7, 2002
    South Bend, IN
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I live in Indiana, so my knowledge of California and San Jose is virtually non-existent. Are you Quake fans happy with this announcement of using the stadium at Santa Clara?

Is it close to San Jose geographically?

Thanks.

2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget that it's only for two seasons - three at the very most.

Anyway, judging by the planned renovations on it...

[​IMG]

... it looks like it'll work well for all but the biggest drawing games such as LA or Houston, of which McAfee Coliseum in Oakland (also temporarily) will likely be used instead.

The new, proper field size alone has gotten me absolutely ecstatic!

As for the proximity to San José geographically: it's practically near the San José - Santa Clara border. The proposed site for the new stadium in San José is just a little ways away, so all the nearby public transportation sites (a Caltrain station across the street and a Caltrain/Amtrak station about three miles away, not to mention the nearby light-rail and highways) will be just as applicable once the new stadium opens.

I hope that helped. :)

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

3. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    This is a solid interim plan...a great campus with a long and illustrious soccer tradition. Definately missing the big new stadium amenities but with the proposed upgrades, it will do nicely, I'm sure.

And yes, it's 5-10 miles from downtown San Jose...great location!

Go Quakes!

4. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, it's about 3-5 miles. ;)

-G

5. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go to Mapquest or Google Maps and look up Santa Clara University. You will see railroad tracks running close by. The other side of the tracks, between the tracks and the airport, is in San Jose and is where the Quakes intend to build their new stadium.

6. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to Mapquest, from San Jose City Hall in downtown San Jose, it is 3.7 miles driving distance to Santa Clara University.

7. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't the proposed location for The Ep even closer to downtown? :)

-G

8. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You could probably throw a rock into SJ from Buck Shaw.

9. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't that ignite an international incident? :eek:

-G

10. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Only the most obtuse fans would not be happy with this as a temporary venue. We've suffered thru 2 MLS seasons without OUR TEAM.

I'm sure some would be just as happy if they announced that they were going back to Spartan, but that just ain't happening given the breakdown of negotiations between Wolff and San Jose St.

Geographically, Buck Shaw is literally only a few hundred yards from were the new stadium will be. A half mile away roughly, depending on where they put the stadium on the parcel of land.

11. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually it's only 3 miles according to Google. And it's about 1000 feet from the San Jose city line.

12. chuckinca

chuckinca Member

Feb 17, 2003
    San Jose Bay Area
    Buck Shaw Stadium is a converted Baseball Field - soccer is played lengthwise along the former third base side. As is, the stadium's bleacher type seating is for about a 1000 people, has one small concession area, few restrooms and parking for the 1000 - not 6000.

San Jose State's Spartan Stadium, while having a narrow field which could easily be widened (for maybe a mil or 2 and about 4 months work)(what will be needed to upgrade Buck Shaw to 6000 seats), seats 25K, has concessions all over, restrooms and parking for the 25K.

Using Buck Shaw instead of Spartan is cutting ur nose off to spite ur face.

Looking at the picture, it doesn't look much wider than Spartan - the Centerfield wall pinches the width.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:SantaClaraStadium1.PNG

13. pwave

pwave Member

Jul 28, 2004
    ValleyOfHeartsDelite
    Spartan has parking for 16000, restrooms for 14000 and concessions for 12000 in all practicality.

14. Tone Capone

Tone Capone Member

Dec 6, 2005
    SF Bay
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    douche

15. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    I think you should take a look at the plans for Buck Shaw at soccersiliconvalley.com, in the blog. At this point I think that's a much better frame of reference than an old picture of the stadium, still showing a baseball infield, etc. I don't think the existing stands would seat only 1000 people. The small temporary stand that they're planning on putting behind the other goal is for 1000. The existing permanent stands look like they would hold 6x that or so.

The plan they are showing has a 75 yard field width. I don't think they are lying about it. The old outfield fence, if it's still there, will have to come down to accommodate the training field and temporary stands.

As for parking, it's an issue, but the plan shows about 1000 space in 3 different lots, and there are probably more around campus.

As for widening Spartan, that's great and all, but Spartan is SJSU's football stadium. You don't just go widening the field w/o their buy-in, and I'm not sure why they'd want it wider for football. And this gets to the main reason that the Quakes are playing at Buck Shaw. Their needs line up much better with SCU than they ever did with SJSU's. Yes Spartan is much better equipped in a lot of ways, but EQLLC feels like they can make Buck Shaw work as a small soccer stadium for the short term.

16. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The center field wall won't exist come April. Also the field will be shifted toward the turn in the existing grandstand giving it even more room.

As for Spartan, where do you see any room at Spartan Stadium to do any expansion of the field :rolleyes:

17. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    chuckinca, right now, as we speak, Buck Shaw seats 6k and change, expandable to 8,400. With the plans shown here, the stadium will seat about 12K. The field really is 75 yards wide, it's not crowned, and we won't be getting screwed financially either.

As for Spartan, yeah we had a lot of nice years there, but they want way too much money in rent. Also, you can't widen the field with out either cutting further into the west side stands (the nicer side), or completely tearing down the east side stands. Also, some were saying that any improvements to Spartan would necessarily have to conform to handicap access laws, and then you're into a completely new stadium. So I don't think we could make a few improvements to Spartan and get away with just a little.

This is a new era in San José soccer, it's time for a new stadium, even if it's only temporary.

GOOOO QUAAAAAKES!!!!! :D

- Mark

18. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    JCUnited, I see from your info there that you're 2 miles east of Jackass, IN. I'm from ArmPit, IN, myself, but a lot of people had another name for it, saying that if God wanted to give the world an enema, he'd stick it in there.

19. sj_oldtimer

sj_oldtimer Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Clovis CA

I believe you are misinformed. Even the Wikipedia link you posted lists the permanent capacity at 6800 (although the info has obviously been updated within the past week or so, but I know the 6800 number has not been changed). The NCAA Women's Final Four tournament was at Buck Shaw a few years ago and the capacity was temporarily upgraded to 8000 for that.

Parking is an issue. Most games will be on weekends, so there are thousands of nearby parking spaces that go unused on weekends. I would not be surprised to see some sort of shuttle service to the games. Not an insurmountable problem.

While the widening of Spartan Stadium seems like a good idea, that would not happen. There is a lot of opposition to that from the Spartan football perspective (and it is their stadium), not to mention the actual cost because of the need to tear out seats in the corners (and they would have to be replaced somewhere in the stadium to keep the total capacity intact).

This is a classic situation of some wanting things to be done NOW. It isn't going to happen that way. If everyone is unwilling to compromise a little, the Earthquakes would not come back, at least anytime soon. The classic "If you build it, they will come" probably does not work in San Jose (it's been tried a couple of times for Major League Baseball). Thankfully it doesn't apply with the Quakes because they are already here......that fact really puts positive pressure on those who will make the ultimate decisions.

20. tonyh01

tonyh01 Member

Nov 9, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On paper...but, I think if there was a crowd of over 100 at Spartan there would still be a beer line, and my fiance would be waiting in line for the restrooms for nearly 20 minutes.

21. Tone Capone

Tone Capone Member

Dec 6, 2005
    SF Bay
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I sold churros there before. we were the only stand making them fresh. we had a line from the start of halftime to what felt like the end of the game. we couldn't make enough for the vendors in the stands. we sold them till we ran out of sugar...except not really. they definitely weren't making contracts with enough vendors of with vendors who could meet demand.

22. zatopek

zatopek Member

Sep 10, 2007
    Lost in Webspace
    hello i am not so close to mls yet but very interested...
    so please inform me - is there a possibility to raise from 12 k
    to 15 k in changing seating places into standing places
    for "hardcore fans" ??

23. santeroatomico

santeroatomico New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    East End Houston
    Does this stadium has enough parking space for 12K?
    I looks that there are only 1200 parking space.

24. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they cut a deal with the office park and hotel across the street there are at least another 2000 parking spaces over there.

25. anticheese

anticheese Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Uncle Rico definitely could