Influence of 1994 World Cup on growth of MLS, US Soccer.

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by terps, Jun 1, 2014.

1. terps

terps Member+

Dec 27, 2009
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting article, including the following tidbits:

Clint Dempsey:
    First MLS contract in 2004 had a guaranteed salary of $40,625.
    Four-year contract with the Seattle Sounders that will pay him a league-record $6.695 million this season

Michael Bradley:
    Was making less than $36,000 when he left MLS for a 10-year playing tour in Europe.
    When he returned in January, he got $6.5 million to play with Toronto FC.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/soccer/la-sp-us-world-cup-mls-20140601-story.html

2. Zxcv

Zxcv Member+

Feb 22, 2012
    The World Cup in 94 had to have some effect, to be sure. Im convinced its impact however ranks below cable, the internet and video games.

I have to laugh at that line: Pele, who tried and failed to help te sport gain a foothold... Why dismiss the influence of Nasl like that?

3. DC06

DC06 Member+

Oct 9, 2006
    Within amile of home
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The biggest by product of the 1994 World Cup to me was creation of MLS.
    The biggest by product of the NASL was the structure MLS had and has.

The former allowed MLS to happen, but the latter is why it did not fold in 2002. Having patience has allowed for generation to grow up with the sport and supporter culture and general interest to grow. Big moves such as smart expansion and DPs have accelerated the process. To me another World Cup (2026?) in the US would have an even bigger impact than 1994 did and could see MLS finally be in realistic discussions of being the fifth major sporting league in the US/Canada.

Cyclonis repped this.
  4. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    Indeed, if WC2026 comes to America everything will be different than in 1994.