Infants at Games

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Ch(Elsey), Apr 1, 2014.

1. DhamphirLoki

DhamphirLoki Member

Nov 4, 2008
    We had a similar issue a few games ago. My wife was carrying the same bag she had every other time, and they stopped us from going in. We eventually had to talk to the head of event staff who checked the bag, laughed, and let us in, while the security guard who stopped us glared at us the whole time. Seemed like someone wanting to abuse his power a little bit, but interesting to see that it wasn't only us.

NUFC Fan repped this.
  2. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't go to a Buckeye game then....

No wonder folks are staying home at many sporting venues (see the WSJ article discussion).

3. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weird we had no trouble getting in with a our diaper bag, what gate are you guys going in. We enter the gate at the Tent.

I wonder if you had problems because it is a Backpack and does not look like a traditional diaper bag. Also was it the short guy with a mustache? That guy has a power trip.

I can't remember what game it was but they were making everybody lift up their shirts to see your belt, made a lot of women very uncomfortable, I did noticed at the next game it stopped for women but all males had to still lift up the shirts.

4. NUFC Fan

NUFC Fan Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    Cbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    We enter through the southeast gate, not sure the number. It's been two separate people stopping us, one checked with the supervisor, the next I talked passed. Belt checks have been standard since game 1 this year. (Not of the toddler)

KG, I get the posted rules in other venues. If the rules had changed for crew stadium I assume some publication of said rule. I've already reached out to my ticket rep. It was more of a PSA to other young families here.

5. Shamrock Rovers

Oct 4, 2007
    Lima, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So We were wondering they reason that they made us lift up our shirts and check our belts. What is the reasoning behind this?

6. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Try to hide something (bottles, smoke bombs) under your belt/shirt.

7. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Getting frisked doesn't make me want to return for a game I can watch at home.

Aaron d and fidlerre repped this.
  8. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also looking for concealed carry holders.

9. invalid

invalid Member

Apr 2, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I thought this thread would be about HSH hiyoooo!

10. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was a thread a few years ago documenting similar issues. One of the CSC guys at the gate was a little too "grope-happy" to the point where if people recognized him, they'd head to the other gate.

11. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny. I've never had problems there. In fact, I've taken in *very minor* stuff rather easily.

I *have* head stories of people that used to take stuff in like crazy. Apparently, back in the 60s/70s, it was a completely different story. Of course, that was also before my time. In another story, national sports broadcaster Scott Ferrall told a story where Ohio Stadium employees (maybe CSC? he didn't elaborate) busted him after he unveiled an IU flag, complete with flagpole inside the stadium. And there was the "Viva Rodriguez" banner a few years ago.

12. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The couple of times I was at ND games, it seemed like everyone had a bottle. But times have changed....

13. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Back in the 80s all the students took in bota bags of rum to mix with the coke sold at the stadium.

14. Swellster

Swellster Member

Jun 26, 2011
    Dallas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I spent a couple of decades smuggling a flask in my sock into Bama games. Since 9/11 they've clamped down. Bin Laden f'ed up everything.

15. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    You Auburn fans are all the same.

16. Swellster

Swellster Member

Jun 26, 2011
    Dallas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You wound me sir. If this were dueling days I would be slapping you with my glove.

Flyer Fan repped this.
  17. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After OSU beat ND back in the 90's, my wife, two buddies and I drank shots in the middle of the field after the game.

Things certainly have changed.

18. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not fish??

19. NUFC Fan

NUFC Fan Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    Cbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Just to follow up with the directions I got from my ticket rep. (From the website)

Permitted bags may not exceed 14” x 6” x 14” and include:

- Camera bags

- Cinch Sacks

- Computer bags

- Diaper bags

- Purses

20. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    #120 fidlerre, Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
    Do they SELL a diaper bag that's only 14" x 14" - anyone that has a kid (or god forbid two) knows that's nuts...

patricksp repped this.
  21. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This kind of goes with what I said in one of the other threads. If you were not already an avid fan, would you even bother next time? This kind of stuff actively drives fans away.

I understand the need for security, if I take my kids and a diaper bag, I have no problem with the bag being searched, but this seems ridiculous.

22. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm not fond of CSC either--but there are a lot of places that are worse. You get body frisked in Europe, for example. NFL rules are far more restrictive. No bags (or even purses)--period. Cleveland's arena has metal detectors (and now Nationwide as well). What I would like to see is them handle things politely. You don't have to treat everyone like a criminal to have proper security.

23. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, your last two sentences are what I was trying to get at. I do understand the need for security, so I don't mind restrictions and I don't object to having bags checked. I do think restricting purses is going a bit too far. A small bag is not an unreasonable accompaniment. And perhaps I'm reading too much into these few posts, but they seem to intimate that it hasn't been in the most polite fashion.

24. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Security work is what it is. You can't always find the most polite, customer service types to do a sh*t job for little pay. It's not necessarily a reflection on the club, more like a reflection on the individual.

I had an instance this summer at a major theme park where a security guard asked me to get my daughter out of her wheelchair so she could walk through the metal detector. Not the brightest group of individuals.

25. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    The security threat is overblown but if they really worry about terror attacks, why not have some mobile metal detectors that people walk through like at government buildings? I'd much rather walk through a metal detector than be groped.