Indoor frustration!

Discussion in 'Girls Youth Soccer' started by ChrisK, Nov 6, 2006.

1. ChrisK

ChrisK New Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Ogden,Ut
    Ok so my daughters comp. team U-10 (I'm asst. coach) just finished their outdoor season and are now playing indoor for the winter.

We had finally got them playing a steady pace with good control and a solid passing game, for their age. Now we started playing indoor and everything they worked so hard for all went out the window and they are playing boot ball. This is 6v6 on a field about half the size they played on outside and with walls, ball is only out if kicked over the wall.

I realize that it is a different game but if they play like this all winter we will be starting all over again in the spring.

2. DamonEsquire

DamonEsquire BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 16, 2002
    Kentucky
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A good easy play is get lead ball carrier to head toward corner but be able to turn toward the box. If the player can juke a defender or bye some time. Put the ball across top box and watch the kicker score wide open. I used to do that alot until I was found out! Obiviously! I aint no girl but it worked in a slugfest...

3. RegionIIFutbolr

Jul 4, 2005
    Region 2
    Rule #1, no using the walls. Walls will be considered out/turnover.

4. wolfparent

wolfparent New Member

Nov 2, 2006
    I think this exact reason is why so many teams are moving to futsal instead of the traditional indoor with walls.

5. ClarkC

ClarkC Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Virginia
    Right. Tell the girls that, even though the walls will not be considered out when the other team uses them, you want them to pretend that the walls are out in order to become better outdoor players.

Next step is to send the message to your club that you would like them to change the entire indoor game next year.

6. RegionIIFutbolr

Jul 4, 2005
    Region 2
    Then play Futsol, but the only good thing about indoor is fitness, using the bang boards is teaching nothing. For Rec, ok, for Select, bad habits.

7. ChrisK

ChrisK New Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Ogden,Ut
    Ok so the coach wants them to use the walls. I try to convince him otherwise but he has the horrible gotta win attitude. During the outdoor season he hires a trainer who helped straighten that out but it is different now. The coach is not a soccer person doesn't watch/ play so he doesn't understand many of the things that I suggest.

8. DamonEsquire

DamonEsquire BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 16, 2002
    Kentucky
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The wall is fun part about Indoor. Why don't you recomend this? Stay of drugs and quit fellonies. Because if its in play; its got say MATH. You aren't suppose to help coach but listen to teachings. This can then help child in after practice mentalites. If you give different directions, some children will be confuse. This will cause a disturbance and they would want to stop play. That is not a good thing. It is a bad thing...

9. ctsoccer13

ctsoccer13 Member+

Mar 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess it would depend on what your coach is trying to achieve with the season. Is he trying to just keep them in shape and keep touches on the ball, or is he trying to win the games. Without using the walls, you'll probably lose the game. Tactically they are an advantage. Ever hear of a give-and-go? Only in indoor can you do that with one player. But if the goal is to develop the players, the less they "depend" on the boards, the better. I agree that if you can find a facility that has indoor soccer without boards, it's better in the long run.

10. ClarkC

ClarkC Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Virginia
    Thanks for your input. That was very enlightening.

11. RegionIIFutbolr

Jul 4, 2005
    Region 2
    I thought there for awhile I had to start doing drugs to understand Damon's post:confused: :eek:

12. Toxoman

Toxoman New Member

Mar 30, 2005
    Enlightning -- like Purple Haze.....

Or maybe some whacked out version of Yoda Speak!

13. ChrisK

ChrisK New Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Ogden,Ut
    Thanks everyone for the input and letting me vent.

Today we had practice and I think it may not be as bad as I was thinking. I had them scrimmage with the focus on control and taking time when available. I also worked in the option of dropping the ball back which was common outside but had dissappeared. During the scrimmage I was at midfield let the player know that they had the drop if they needed it, they droppped and I had a bad touch "own goal" and amazingly the other coach commended the thought. Part of the problem I think is the girls get overexcited and forget about making space for themself and taking time for good control.

14. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think indoor is great, esp because of the boards. The walls are fun and the best way to grow kids into great players is to make sure they have fun. Walls allow kids the chance to experiment,and that seems to be the theme of modern coaching: let the kids experiment and learn on the pitch without overcoaching from the sidelines. If a kid executes a give and go to herself, that's the first step. Then she can learn to do that WITH another teammate once she gets outside. The pace is faster and the balls run truer, but if your girls can learn to touch the ball to give themselves time indoor, they'll have eons of time when they go back outside. And ultimately, it is different, and that's a good thing.

I'd give anything to be able to get my girls indoor this winter, but we don't have the indoor space without driving an hour, so I'd count your blessings.

15. BallOfFire

BallOfFire New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    I couldn't agree more, Val1. Both futsal and indoor have their benefits. My personal thoughts are futsal is much better suited for younger kids, say U11 or U10 and below. Indoor is a whole different game, but somewhat identifiable (is there such a word?) to soccer.

What's important is this: It's the OFF Season, whatever the kids are doing should be encouraged, and hey, have a blast, while learning the traits of that "GAME". Don't pick apart the sport(indoor v futsal), don't pick apart the coaches thinking. Don't care, in the OFF season, if they win or lose. Know that the kids are getting their feet (hopefully plural) on the ball and kicking around on or of wall, out of bounds a lot or not, and having Fun.

They will benefit in the long run from both and by the way, NEITHER will carry over, as far as rules (walls) are concered on to the true outdoor pitch. Just seen both over the years, and the kids have fun and work at BOTH equally hard. (that really is what's important & they stay in shape in either game) my three cents worth! Have Fun!

16. Wildcatter Orange

Wildcatter Orange New Member

Jan 25, 2006
    Plus, indoor can give kids a real shot of confidence, especially those who might struggle a bit on a bigger field.

There's nothing like scoring a goal to help a U10 or U11 player feel good about herself and get re-excited about playing the game.

To me, the benefits of staying in shape, getting touches and building confidence outweigh any bad habits that might creep in.

17. RegionIIFutbolr

Jul 4, 2005
    Region 2
    Guys, I must admit, I have to remember that my daughter was once young before as well. Indoor is a fun game to watch and play for the little ones. Im not trying to say that you sud not play indoor. My daughter did and she enjoyed it. It is a fun game for the kids to play in the winter when they cant get out on the big field. same can be said for 3v3, Futsol and just plain ole training in a Gym. However, for the select side of things, our coach told the girls not to use the bang boards, and if they did, they were to treat the ball as out. At U8/9 or even U10, I say play as you want. Have fun.