Individual Training & Personal Fitness

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by Cantona's Eyebrow, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Cantona's Eyebrow

Dirty Leeds
    Togo
    Oct 8, 2018
    With training and matches put on indefinite hold, I was wondering if your young athletes were still carrying out their individual training? Something to keep them ticking over until normal practice resumes.

I thought this could be an decent place to share any personal fitness or individual training exercises that you've come across, so that others might benefit during these strange times.

I'll try and post a couple up tonight.

2. ppierce34

ppierce34 Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Yes they're juggling toilet paper in the States.

3. CornfieldSoccer

Aug 22, 2013
    Lots of clubs/coaches putting up drills on Twitter, as well as RTing their own players' videos here and there. Detecting a difference between the clubs my family and has been around and the really big clubs: Some of the latter using their alumni who are now pros the reinforce the train-at-home message.

My son's trying to rehab an MCL sprain, but the rehab sessions have all been "postponed," and his motivation now to do the at-home work that's part of that is mixed at best, unfortunately.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  4. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Young people think they're bulletproof. The struggle is real!

5. rustysurf83

rustysurf83 Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Our kids play for a Surf affiliate and, honestly, there’s so much content it’s almost overwhelming. Her own Club is doing daily challenges in addition to recommended technical work and conditioning. A lot of other Surf clubs are putting out content too, especially on Instagram. She does a free live workout with some coaches from LA Surf every day. BeastMode, Renegade, and Techne are putting out a ton of free content every day. Her team got a subscription to Techne and a lot of the players quickly figured out only 3 hours a day counts toward the leaderboard, lol.

6. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My son has been going to a baseball field and using the fence behind home plate to practice shooting (the ball often bounces back). He's able to train without other people.

7. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    I've been training my kid some. He's about to turn 6.
    He's stayed fairly active overall; his mom goes on bike rides with him. So his overall fitness is good.

We slowed down the soccer training during Corona but now picking back up. I try to go out about 5 days a week and either do drills or just 1v1 scrimmage (me vs him). He's getting quicker every month. I used to let him get around me 1 on 1 and run to goal, but now it's getting harder to catch him even if I try.

Other things we do to work on overall fitness / coordination - frisbee, throw football, basketball, chase/tag/wrestle/fight, any kind of riding (3 wheel, scooter, bike, etc).

My training approach with him - I come up with my own drills. I play alot myself and I am always trying to get better myself. Some things I teach him are things I'm also working on, fundamental stuff - getting better feel for the ball.
    For ex, instead of just passing back and forth statically, we'll do it from various distances; and I will pass slowly, medium, fast so that he learns to trap the ball based on how fast it's coming in.
    And then I have him pass it slow, then fast so that he learns velocity and also he understands how the ball moves on various surfaces. Usually the fields around here the grass is high so he is learning he needs to get it a bit more umph vs low cut grass (or indoor).

As far as moves, I keep it simple. Mostly we're doing "cutting" which he's getting good at. Just cutting left/right.
    He can do scissors at standstill but can't really do it during a game yet.
    He's doing some pullbacks in game setting.
    The newest move is a chop, which he seems to be comfortable with; so I'm focusing on that. It's very cool to see a 5 yr old do that! I've been playing my whole life but never learned the chop until I was in my 40s. Crazy!

8. smontrose

smontrose Member

Real Madrid
    Italy
    Aug 30, 2017
    Illinois, NW Suburb
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For my u16, emphasizing touch drills big time! Unfortunately he will only do this routine yhev4 days hes committed to training. They should be as habitual as basketballs fir breakfast!
    Having him play on a local court with regular ball.
    Not focusing on fitness until we know when things start up, plus on thev4 days hes playing pickup force to 4 hours.
    Also getting him to focus as an forward on like 3 key moves. Nothing fancy, on both feet.
    Also working on standing tackling(on court), hopefully this develops an "extra step" cutting downvdistancevto attackers.
    Besides that,trying to emphasize that in this time, he needs to learn self motivation and look at his personal development as his "craft", trying to get him to develop his own self feedback process, if that makes sense.

9. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    Fitness matters. Some say you should only practice with a ball at your feet and not do running only. I have gone back and forth but now I believe being in great shape can be the difference between good and great. Being in subpar shape can inhibit one's ability to use their skills to the fullest.

Let's say, for ex, a kid is on a fast break and has to run 40 yards and then take a shot on goal. If the kid is not in good shape, they might confidently dribble at top speed for 30 or so yards but then will not have the mental focus to make a good strike (ie they won't finish).
    But if the kid is in excellent condition, they can sprint the 40 yards with the ball and then will still have a clear mind and strike the ball with confidence.

bigredfutbol and SuperHyperVenom repped this.
  10. ppierce34

ppierce34 Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Does anyone have any good tips to gently nudge their kid into training a bit on their own? My daughter went gung ho the first month of quarantine but has slowed down. I'm sure its difficult to motivate yourself during these times. Especially not knowing when or if they will return to the field. Sort of like "whats the point of this"? Rather then "i need to get myself ready for a return to action June 1".

11. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Not my kid... I had her running last week and after 2 suicides she fell on her butt, leaned back and laid down and said "I'm screwed if I don't get back in shape!"

We're now getting her and 2 other mates together at our high school and letting them design their own workout. They seem to use a good deal of what they have learned from their clubs (2 different clubs between the 3). I really enjoy them working it out. For me it's fun watching them take something from their soccer experiences and developing it further on their own - while having a great time.

Parents social distance in the car with the windows down or just sit in chairs aroung the cars and keep an eye on them.

Very rewarding but I imagine this only may work for high school players.

12. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a tough one. As you say, it's the not knowing part that's the toughest.

Maybe set some skills-based goals?

13. CornfieldSoccer

Aug 22, 2013
    My son's in a similar boat. He had a fairly problematic injury right before everything shut down, and has fought a lot with the "what's the point?" hurdle. Letting him get on a field for some light, on-your-own work with two or three teammates twice over the past couple of weeks has helped a little. All they can really do "together" is knock a ball around -- and my wife and I have mixed feelings about letting him do this at all yet, though it helps that we know the other parents really well -- but the social piece is big for our son.

On a related note for those w/kids who hope to be playing HS ball this fall, any of them hearing from their HS coaches and, if so, what are they hearing? My son's head coach has sent one, brief email that essentially said that, so far, there are no plans to do anything. Hoping for a little more than that.

14. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    I would removed certain privileges unless they practice. I know some parent's don't agree but you can't expect a kid to always be self motivated especially with all of the distractions they face.
    Like, take away the internet, or games, or TV, until she gets in some practice. She might kick and scream at first but eventually she'll cave and she'll be better off for it.

15. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By the way, how old is she?

Could you just go out with her and kick the ball around so at least she's working on her touch?

16. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    There are many skills that can be worked on in small spaces like a living room. Various moves, ways to change direction, many drills working on inside and outside of foot and bottom of foot too. Soccer is all about feel and angles. Work on the small space stuff now. It will increase feel for the ball and make them a better player.

17. rustysurf83

rustysurf83 Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Our teams have been doing Techne Futbol. There are a lot of different incentives to motivate the kids to stay engaged. Weekly workouts, monthly challenges, “streaks”, sock levels, etc. We also do about 30’ of 1v1 a day whether it’s in the backyard or living room. I’m working from home so my oldest has started exercising with me most days in the garage.

18. ppierce34

ppierce34 Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Fort Wayne, IN
    It’s funny but u always hear about parents making kids practice piano, violin etc. but when it comes to parents making their kids practice a little
    Soccer they are “overbearing crazy soccer parents” “your kid will quit soccer if you do that” blah blah blah.

NewDadaCoach and bigredfutbol repped this.
  19. ppierce34

ppierce34 Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Fort Wayne, IN
    She’s 11 going on 15. The tween ‘tude is real so doesn’t want much to do with dad. She practices some on her own and goes to small group training so I’m not all that worried. Life revolves around friends and Snapchat right now.

20. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like you're doing just fine. :)