Indiana

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by hoosiercountry, Nov 29, 2004.

1. hoosiercountry

hoosiercountry New Member

Nov 29, 2004
    indianapolis
    What does everyone think of mike freitag and the job he has done in his first year as head coach?

2. osteng2

osteng2 New Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Looks like Freitag has done a good job with Yeagley's players. One win away from another College Cup.

3. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    I believe Frei did most of the recruiting.

BRF

4. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Maybe. But I credit the 4 back system they use now to Todd Yeagley, not Freitag. IMO, without Yeagley, IU wouldn't be where it is this season.

5. Damon

Damon Member

Jul 1, 2001
    Evansville, IN, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Todd and Mike have known each other for a long time. Obviously, Todd played for his dad when Mike was an assistant. They work really well together, and with Caleb and Sean as well. They ALL are a part of IU's success this season. I'm sure they ALL have played a part in the recruiting process with this team, and that they've ALL been a key to the tactical approach the team has taken on it's way to the quarters. That being said, Todd is a true student of the game, always has been, and is a very good teacher of the tactical side of the game. The way the back 4 plays, and the success they've had, is no doubt a credit to his coaching knowledge AND the skill of the players in place in the back. Let's not forget to credit Freitag for running the show, though. He is the head coach, his decisions are ultimately final, and he's done a great job. It's not always a foregone conclusion that the defending champ will have continued success the next season. He's done a great job mixing experience and youth. I'm sure that Mike would be first in line to credit his assistants though. Any soccer program will only stand the test of time when they have a quality support staff. And while we're at it, let's also credit trainer Joe Lueken and strength/conditioning guru Geoff Eliason for keeping the boys fit and strong all season long.

GO HOOSIERS!

6. Damon

Damon Member

Jul 1, 2001
    Evansville, IN, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will Freitag have someone specifically man-mark Tulsa's Ryan Pore, or will the d-mid and back 4 play zonally and "hand him off" as he leaves their area?
    Thoughts?
    I think the best plan may be to have Jed and Drew "tag-team" him and try to make him do as much running as possible w/o the ball. I doubt he's going to wear down, but if he's going to run, let's get him to do it w/o the ball as much as possible.

GO HOOSIERS!

7. Damon

Damon Member

Jul 1, 2001
    Evansville, IN, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's hoping there's a Yeagley involved with IU Hoosier Soccer for a long, long time!

8. osteng2

osteng2 New Member

Sep 13, 2004

Will IU be able to replace O'Rourke next year. Danny will shut down Pore Sunday.

9. Damon

Damon Member

Jul 1, 2001
    Evansville, IN, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mentioned Drew and Jed, but yeah, Danny's the man if Freitag wants to use him in that role. As long as we stay away from silly fouls 30 yds. and in, we're good to go. Like I said, make Pore do his running w/o the ball and keep him back-to-goal and we're solid!
    Replace Danny? Probably not, but we can look to develop another player that can continue the strong IU midfielder tradition. We've got Yates, Tudela, and Chirico all back, maybe their role can change a bit to try to recover from losing Danny. Maybe Drew Moore can assume the role of midfield ball-winner?
    Let's not get ahead of ourselves, though. Kicking Tulsa's behind comes first!

GO HOOSIERS!

10. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    That's what I've been hoping for, providing he doesn't leave early and go the P-40 route.

True enough. See ya Sunday at 2!

11. Nanananooooonan

Nanananooooonan New Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Drew will go P-40...confirmed.

And by confirmed I don't mean 100% confirmed...I mean 99.98% confirmed.

12. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Bad for IU, but good for Drew...can't say I didn't expect it.

13. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    I'm sure it's 100% (unless one of us can convince him to stay....).
    Nanooo, can you find him any cute girls in a hurry? ;)

BRF

14. fatman

fatman New Member

Nov 14, 2003
    Hoosier Country
    Good Day Hoosier Fans-

I expect that drew moor will be marking pore the entire game and will not leave his jersey. I think Jed will also be watching that side carefully...Julian shouldnt have a problem with the other forward. However, I don't expect the hoosiers to change their style of play for Tulsa....Tulsa will have to adapt to the Hoosiers.

When drew leaves for project 40 and Orourke goes to the MLS I don't see the hoosiers having a problem next year in the back.

1) Greg Stevning will step in to the back for drew...hes played there during the year in place of dieterle and when the hoosiers play four in the back to accomidate for three forwards on the opposing team...and done a fantastic job

2) The presence of Orourke will be missed but the hoosiers have plenty of midfielders to step in and play a defensive role i.e. josh tudlela and jordan chirico with hayden and traylor on the wings and plotkin in his attacking role.

The hoosiers will lose some of there players but have plenty in reserve to step in next year for another title defense and a three peat.

Prediction:
    Hoosiers 2
    Tulsa 0

my stomach is calling me
    im out

15. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    It would be nice to see them find the net more than once.

16. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Agreed on Stevning. He's an excellent player, larger than the IU prototype, and he's good in the air! Don't forget all those redshirt freshmen! Many very good players among them.

Lets hope that the rain holds off until late. IU are not good mudders.

Go Hoosiers!

BRF

17. osteng2

osteng2 New Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Stevning may be better suited for the outside. Tudela and Plotkin seem a little soft to play the d-mid spot. Can Mellencamp or Weaver step up next year to contribute. Freitag was quoted as saying the 2nd team was giving the starters a go while the Hoosiers were waiting out their time off. Too bad about Drew going p-40, but best of luck to him!

18. Damon

Damon Member

Jul 1, 2001
    Evansville, IN, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Josh Tudela has been one of the most consistent ball-winners in the IU midfield this season. I would hardly call him too soft to play the d-mid role. He's not an O'Rourke-type ball-winner, but he ain't too shabby either. At any rate, I don't look for him to fill that role next season, he's too good when he gets forward.
    But for now, let's focus on beating Tulsa tomorrow.

GO HOOSIERS!

19. Dr Beeper

Dr Beeper New Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Brad Ring Chicago magic, will step in from day one and assume the DMF role.......look for mellencamp and Nochang to run wide (as starters or reserves) while weaver is best suited as a striker. If Ring sits on the bench for them, they will have one hell of a side.......look for them to be green in the back as word has it thatMoor and Zayyner may be taking that 40,000 offer and running to the MLS (ha ha)

20. Damon

Damon Member

Jul 1, 2001
    Evansville, IN, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to learn more about the future at IU, so if you don't mind spilling the beans, how do you know so much about these young players? Have you seen them play? How often have you seen Ring play? I'm not too certain how familiar you are with IU soccer, but it's not too often that a true freshman steps in from "day one" and "assumes" anything in Bloomington! I also don't think that Jed is going anywhere (Drew is almost a lock to go). I agree that Mellencamp and Noschang will play as reserves behind Tulela and possibly Chirico. I'm just curious as to where you have learned about these players if you haven't seen them play.
    Oh, and welcome to BS!

21. Crimson Ace

Crimson Ace Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 4, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey Damon - you pickin' a fight! (j/j)

The "rumor" about Jed leaving is pretty solid. My "inside" source has told me that besides an MLS escape, he may also have an offer in Europe. The backs will be very green in 05. A new gk, Drew going P40, Jed possible going to Europe, the loss of Danny... it looks as though Juw will be the only returner.

But alas, let's worry about all that on Monday... we have a championship to win first!

- Tom

22. Damon

Damon Member

Jul 1, 2001
    Evansville, IN, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good Night Margaret, it's good to have you on here Tom! I had no idea you also had a Big Soccer obsession.
    For Freitag's sake, I hope you're wrong about Jed, but of course, it would be great to see him begin his professional journey early.
    I assume that you'll be using the change you've located in your sofa to purchase a plane ticket to Cali?
    Seriously, you need to post on here more often, we can definitely use your college soccer knowledge and unique (and often enjoyably sarcastic) perspective .
    Oh, and most importantly, congrats again on your big event! :eek:)

23. Crimson Ace

Crimson Ace Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 4, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The change I found in my couch won't go toward a cross country ticket - but a small rock instead. I guess I have to be one of the commoners and watch stat-tracker on the internet like everyone else!

You said, "for Freitag's sake...", however, I don't think you need to be too concerned for poor Mike! He's an above average recruiter at the most storied program in the nation. Add a national title in his first season and he'll be just fine! We have some great players already on our redshirt list. Once the current crop of yutes realizes that it's the same IU now that Freitag is there - they'll all find their way to Bloomington. (with that said, it's going to be REEAAL tough for anyone to keep up with Mike Jacobs at Duke in the recruiting category. After this trip to a Final Four, I expect Duke to have one of the Top 3 recruiting classes every year for a while. He's tough.)

I've been watching these boards for quite a while, but my darn computer wouldn't support the software. I'm up and running now though - so I'll be sure to sharpen my wit! Go HOOOSIERS!

24. IUHoosierfan

IUHoosierfan New Member

Dec 8, 2004

It would appear that there will be plenty of competition for playing time. Not sure why people say a true freshman can not step in next year we have at least five players that started/played as true freshman: O'Rourke, peterson, Plotkin, robson, Julian, & Jed, all started or contributed off the bench. It really is up to the existing players who is going to play where. We know that we have at least 3 forwards returning; Robson, Peterson & Ambersley, plus 2 redshirt freahman; Kozlowski & Noschang that will compete. We have 9 midfielders: Chirico, Hayden, Plotkin, Tudela will most likey be starters with Hubbard, Mellencamp, Reisinger, Traylor, Weaver & Yuska competing for that one spot. Of the redshirt freahman Weaver was the only one to travel with the team this season. Defenders returning are Jed, Julian, Brabender, Clair, Stevning & Schwartz. Starters should be Jed, Julian & Stevning with Munroe stepping in for Nolly. Brabender & Clair should compete with Sevning for the third back. The Hooisers look to continue to be strong again next year. Fre will look for one of the existing players to step into O'Rourke d-mid role, if someone doesn't take the job he will look to a true freshman. As usual IU continues to reload.

Good luck Hooisers and bring back number 7.

25. osteng2

osteng2 New Member

Sep 13, 2004

I haven't seen Ring play, but he doesn't make the Region II team, but is listed in the Pool only. Pretty tough to come in as a true freshman at IU. It takes a fortunate turn of events like a starter graduating or leaving early to go pro for a spot to open up. Chirico has been getting good minutes and looked good against Tulsa, he may replace Danny.