Indiana - Tulsa [R]

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Fat Mike, Dec 5, 2004.

1. Fat Mike

Fat Mike New Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Anyone have any score updates? I can't get the webcast to work

2. muish

muish New Member

Nov 28, 2004
    Re: Indiana - Tulsa

try wius.org/sports

3. Fat Mike

Fat Mike New Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Broken Arrow, OK

Doesn't work for me

4. Fat Mike

Fat Mike New Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Broken Arrow, OK

Tulsa showing they didn't belong

5. chops

chops New Member

Dec 5, 2004

yeah, maybe, so can you say that virginia didn't belong, they got blown out to, but what do you know, you only look at one score...

6. CUgrad01

CUgrad01 New Member

Oct 20, 2004

What is the score?

7. Fat Mike

Fat Mike New Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Broken Arrow, OK

Indiana wins 4-0

8. Kubby

Kubby Member

Apr 28, 2004

Indiana 4-0 Tulsa ... Final score!

9. shinysoc10

shinysoc10 New Member

Aug 3, 2003

Just got back from the game and IU played the best that I have seen them all year. Tulsa did not have really any good scoring opportunities, and were killed on posession. Once IU scored the first goal in the second half they could no longer pack in the box and were forced to play a more offensive game which led to more goals by IU. Pore, the leading scorer for Tulsa did nothing at all. I was very un-impressed, I dunno if he had an off game or what but he showed me nothing special. IU's defense played solid. The back line has not let a goal in ALL tournament. The midfield controlled the game. Plotkin was more involved in the game than many previous matches and it really showed how effective of a player he can be when he works to get the ball. Jordan Chirico (meat sauce) played a very good game. He was probably the best player on the field the first half, and it was nice to see him get a goal in the second. Peterson and Ambersley played decent games. Peterson had two nice finishes, but he was set up very well both times. It was also nice to see some of the reserve players like Greg Badger get in there and get a goal. Overall I think this was a great confidence booster for the whole team and I look for them to take there confidence and skill to California and win the NCAA's yet another year.

10. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002

Its hard to say Tulsa didn't belong, there were no goals in the first half, but thats more because IU just wasn't clicking. Tulsa did have a few excellent chances, including a free kick in a very dangerous position which they absolutely blew. In the 2nd half, IU came out of the locker room psyched up and it showed right away that they were the better team scoring a quick one and then adding a few more.

11. Damon

Damon Member

Jul 1, 2001
    Evansville, IN, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Very well put. I would add only that Tudela played really well also; between he and Danny, Tulsa didn't stand a chance in the middle 1/3. It was great to see Greg Badger get a goal in his last game on Yeagley Field, and when Danny came off at the end it was obviously a very emotional time for him as well. Jay Nolly was again solid, albeit pretty much untested, and he was also very affected after playing his last game in Bloomington. I'm very proud of the three seniors and happy for them as well.
    The student section was rocking for much of the time and the Crabb Band brought their "A" game. All in all, a great day in Bloomington and a great game for the Hoosiers. I agree with shinysoc10, that's about as well as IU has played on attack in the games I've seen this season.
    On to Carson . . . bring on the Terps!

GO HOOSIERS!

12. Damon

Damon Member

Jul 1, 2001
    Evansville, IN, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

One more thought - anyone hear anything about Tulsa's #9 Ryan Pore playing hurt? A friend of mine who usually gets the scoop on the Hoosiers' opponents told me after the game that Pore was playing with an injury. I know he was hurt a few weeks ago in the MVC tournament, but I didn't know if he was back at 100% or not. He wasn't even close to being a factor today, but, to his credit, it would be tough on anyone who had Jed and Drew following them around. I just couldn't figure out his strengths today as he was mostly 1-2 touch and never dangerous. He must have some serious game though, as he's banged home 22 goals in 23 games and leads the country in that category. Hermann winner? Not this year, IMHO, but maybe one to watch for next season.

13. ctt8410

ctt8410 New Member

May 26, 2001

so SMU, Penn State, and Michigan State must have REALLY not belonged.. amazing..

14. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I went to the game. Tulsa had some big defenders. IU really only turned on the class in the second half. Tulsa's goal keeper named THOR the 7 foot giant did well until shots got within 8 yards of him. I think IU, as a team, played better last year, but they will still have a good shot at taking the Cup this year too.

Anybody know the TV schedule?

15. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002

I was there, too...That goalie was friggin huge!

16. chops

chops New Member

Dec 5, 2004

Isn't that a pretty obvious statement saying that a keeper has trouble with shots that are only about 8 yards out...what keeper doesn't...

17. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

No it is not obvious at all. If I tap it towards the goalie and he can't stop it, that means he sucks. If I tap it towards the goalie and he kicks it back at me so hard that it knocks me unconscious, that means he is good and insulted that I tried to test him with such as poor shot.

The goalie was responsible for two poor goals within his six yard box.

18. chops

chops New Member

Dec 5, 2004

I wasn't at the game don't really know what happened but from what I heard/read, was that the goalie was a huge reason it was only a four goal deficit, and tapping a shot at goalie is another stupid comment, whats worse is what goalie in their right mind would kick a shot back at you without attempting to gain possession...but hey what do you know, you don't want to inject logic into the situation you want to use two extreme cases...being ignorant is no way to go through life

19. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

You wouldn't happen to be a goalie residing, say, in Tulsa and orignate from the upper tundra of Sweden?

As far as logic goes, I was trying to explain to you that indeed a goalie can be poor in a certain area. I know, it is a revelation to some. A goalie can do quite well on, oh say things called crosses, but spill direct shots coming from outside the box. So, to make sure our logic thinking caps are on, THORg=good outside 8 yards (direct long shots and positioning) and THORb=bad within 8 yards (dropped a weak low cross/square, resulting in a goal and fumbled weak shots, among other points).

THORg+THORb=IU 4 :Tulsa Hurricanes 0

Oh and logic is yucky, I prefer the internet.

20. chops

chops New Member

Dec 5, 2004

No I wouldn't happen to be a goalie living in Tulsa thats a Nordic, I don't even play anymore. But then again I'm really not worried about your opinion, because you just proved your ignorance once again, last time I checked Cervi looks to me like an Italian surname, another little point you seem to overlook, and don't the Nordic people usually have blonde hair and blue eyes, if you check the Tulsa website i'm pretty sure the freshman keeper has brown hair and brown eyes. And another thing if you let me set up shop from 8 yards on any goalie in the nation I guarantee that I would be at least 8/10. Yes, I understand that certain players have different strong/weak points, but what I'm trying to engrain in your thick skull is that every keeper out there has trouble with shots 8 yards out...you would have a comment like logic is yucky, its fairly obvious you don't think before you talk...

21. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    having been at the game today, it could have easily been far worse had the keeper not made some of the saves he did. The first one was a one on one against the keeper, the keeper is always at a disadvantage in that situation. Peterson's 2 goals were almost identical, but they were in situations where it was him against the goalie and no real Tulsa defenders around. Peterson being the striker he is and more or less alone on the keeper, you can't blame the keeper for those.
    Just look at IU's own website (www.iuhoosiers.com) to see how huge the keeper was:
    on the 1st goal: "He took the ball alone against Tulsa goalkeeper Dominic Cervi and pushed the ball past Cervi’s outstretched arms toward the near post into the back of the net"
    on the 4th goal: "His shot was denied by a sprawling Cervi only to see junior Pat Yates fire the rebound on net, but his hopes were also dashed. The ball was spinning a yard off the goal line and senior forward Greg Badger found the loose ball, firing it in for the final goal of the day"
    and this on Robinson's chance a little later: "The first opportunity saw him one-on-one with Cervi in the six-yard box with Cervi, only mere feet from the ball, getting the best of this opportunity with the save. Robson got another chance only seconds later only to see Cervi foil his chance again."

Tulsa lost this game, but the one person they can't blame for the defeat is their keeper.

22. TucksterMan

TucksterMan New Member

Dec 5, 2004

I was at the game as well and just a few comments I had on the game.

First credit goes on to IU the second half they really took over and showed that they were the better team all around. 2nd no one can say Tulsa did not deserve to be there, they went through the games just like any other team did. My hats go off to Tulsa for making it farther then they ever have made it with 3 starters out because of injury including All-American Kyle Brown. I also did hear a rumor Ryan Pore's ankle was acting up and was not completly 100%, but still IU did take him out of the game but not by the defense on but by possesion. IU control of possesion limited pores touches. I still believe Ryan is a great player just happened to get shut down. Im sure if you ask the other teams Tulsa knocked out they will let you know how great Ryan is. But anyhow great job to IU good luck in final four going for a 7th Title!!!!!

23. Fat Mike

Fat Mike New Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Broken Arrow, OK

Didn't think I would offend a 12 year old TU fan....and if you are a student I assure the rest of you they aren't all like him....I mean not as smart :rolleyes:

24. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yeah, first he really needs to find out who Thor is though. :)
    And btw no, Scandinavia is not Aryan... or a country for that matter.

25. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I know I starting to troll a little, but, does that make you a senior who didn't make it on to the field?