Independence to the SoBs

Discussion in 'Sons of Ben' started by PhillyIndependence, Jul 30, 2010.

1. VandalRedSkin

VandalRedSkin New Member

May 11, 2010
    Philly
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    darkhorse, lets doop it up!

2. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    +1 for dark horse

3. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    are we so certain dark horse will forgo one tv from the usual NFL shenanigans? if enough of us are there, it don't matter?

I hate the NFL. I wanted to watch the union beat the Revs a few weeks ago, and Fox N Hound was viewing PRESEASON american football instead. doopid.

4. jimlogue

jimlogue Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Medford, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Owen's in N. Wildwood

5. BChaCha

BChaCha Member

Apr 26, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Dark Horse is a soccer pub explicitly. They're an official MLS and WPS bar.

6. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm relieved, that settles that then. see you guys tomorrow @ Dark Horse

7. VandalRedSkin

VandalRedSkin New Member

May 11, 2010
    Philly
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    we're all go for today

was talking with paul, the owner, yesterday while I was catching west ham, let him know we'd be coming in. he said if it's on they'd air it.

8. ville41

ville41 New Member

Jul 23, 2010
    Brookhaven, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for doing that Vandal. See you there!!!t

9. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bump... I would like to address an apparent plain misunderstanding by the mods that the Independence posts were not going to be part of the Sons of Ben discussion anymore. See, this bumped thread demonstrates just one of dozens of our own posters that have long been getting interested in supporting the Independence, as legitimate Sons of Ben, via this forum. The Independence made a champ finalist run last year, and we can continue to build on their success. While it would be ideal if all these posters visited the Independence forum too, just like you might think it would be nice if the whole stadium participated in a traditionally River End chant, the fact of the matter is that bigsoccer.com's reach is not that universally known yet.

Our presence at the WPS games can enhance interest in the Union and in the SOBs as well. I will never partake in the politics of supporters groups limiting access to one anothers teams, seating sections, or forums. We're not in kindergarten cliques, we don't draw lines or play in separate sandboxes. We don't get told where we can play, and where we don't belong. We're Sons of Ben anyway.

Here are just some things to look forward to in 2011:

1. Discounted $120 season tickets to stand in the Sons of Ben/supporters section general admission. This is up slightly from last year, but still a nice savings and I hope you will see the value in helping sustain the growth of WPS, as well as in being seen as one visible SOB section, for multiple games stretching across the season, instead of scattered, marginal interest to whatever games each one of us attend as individuals or small groups of various sections. We have our own section, all we have to do is show up (and pay a nominal fee for the commitment).

2. After finishing runner up in the league as an expansion franchise in the championship game, under 2010 league coach of the year Paul Riley, Independence went out and signed Natasha Kai (8 Goals last season) for the striker and Pottstown native and former USWNT Nicole Barnhart for the GK position.

3. The HOME matches have been moved from WCU to Widener's Quick Stadium. For many of us this change will be convenient, since I-95 and SEPTA are now right there, there will be no more having to miss so many games, with the closer proximity to the city and a majority of the suburban market.

4. SOB road trips will include this Sunday, April 10 at NJ Sky Blue, 6pm, and maybe May22 at Boston, 4pm.

10. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This Saturday 6/25 at 5pm the Philadelphia Independence will square off against "magicJack SC" at Widener's Leslie Quick Stadium in Chester, to be closely followed by the Union at 8pm at PPL Park. The game is a make-up from the lightning/rainout in April, so all ticket stubs from that date will be honored for this match.

The Independence provides free parking (map/directions link) at various lots on Widener's campus. The regular admission starts at $15, however high school grads will get into this match for free with student ID. All other students are $5 each with ID, and teachers are $10, for this match.

Look for the Sons of Ben section if you go. We meet at every home match at the entrance to the grandstands at 20 minutes prior to kick off.

Philly is 4-1-2 over the last 7 matches and have just moved ahead into second place with a 6-0 win over magicJack last night.

[​IMG]

11. kabbott14

kabbott14 New Member

Aug 1, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    We went to the "new" stadium three weeks ago for the WNY/Indy match. Widener is actually a lot easier to get to than West Chester (at least, for those north of Philly who usually take the Blue Route to the Union matches).
    Not digging on the parking situation at Widener, but it's free and overall the entire experience is better.

Did not know the meeting point for the SoBs last match, but will make sure we hit it next time.

12. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a little bit tucked away in Chester, but I do like how it is 17 miles closer to Philly than last year. The team is also playing arguably better than last year on both sides of the ball.

Last season, the SOB's did have some huge momentum brewing in the second half of the Independence season and it's a good time to go at this again. There are 2 TV games left, playoffs, and several opportunities. I will post the remaining local schedule here:

Saturday, June 25 magicJack 5:00 PM BUY TIX

Wednesday, July 6 Sky Blue FC 7:00 PM BUY TIX

Saturday, July 9 Western NY Flash 7:00 PM BUY TIX

Saturday, July 23 @ Sky Blue FC 7:00 PM

Sunday, July 31 Atlanta Beat 6 PM (tv) BUY TIX

Sunday, August 7 Sky Blue FC 6 PM (tv) BUY TIX

WPS 2011 Playoffs
    Wednesday, August 17 #3 vs 4 First Round Playoff

Sunday, August 21 #2 seed hosts Semifinal Match

Sunday, August 28 #1 seed hosts WPS Championship

13. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rosters and song sheet attached (Saturday 6/25)

All home matches are at Widener Univ, Leslie Quick Stadium (DIRECTIONS) and have free parking on site.

Saturday, June 25 magicJack 5:00 PM BUY TIX *DH ff. UNION PPL 8PM
    Wednesday, July 6 Sky Blue FC 7:00 PM BUY TIX
    Saturday, July 9 Western NY Flash 7:00 PM BUY TIX
    Saturday, July 23 @ Sky Blue FC
    (Yurcak Field, Piscataway NJ) 7:00 PM BUY TIX (*Union is at the Linc)
    Sunday, July 31 Atlanta Beat 6 PM (TV) BUY TIX
    Sunday, August 7 Sky Blue FC 6 PM (TV) BUY TIX

WPS 2011 Playoffs
    Wednesday, August 17 #3 vs 4 First Round Playoff (TBA)
    Sunday, August 21 #2 seed hosts Semifinal Match
    Sunday, August 28 #1 seed hosts WPS Championship

14. ville41

ville41 New Member

Jul 23, 2010
    Brookhaven, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will be at the remaining home games for the Independence! I hope to have a large group of SoB's join us and bring the crazy to Widener! The guy from the league office and the front office want to set up a deal, and have us bring some excitment to the games. Come support Philly's other pro soccer team. The games are fun, it's good entertaining soccer, and the players and the coach love having us there!

15. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It is game night. Philly vs. New Jersey (at Widener football stadium). PM me for a 2-for-1 ticket deal... must be SOB

16. shenanigans62

shenanigans62 New Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Clementon
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't been to a game this season yet. I'm gonna try to make it on Saturday.

17. kav138

kav138 Member

Nov 24, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    It is great time!

18. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are 3 matches left. We'd like to put together something great to welcome back the first place INDEPENDENCE for the remaining matches at Widener's stadium on 7/9, 7/31, and 8/7.

SOB section tickets are discounted at $10 each. and parking's always free at Widener... see attached.

Also, please join our facebook group, Independence SOB's, if you are on facebook.

19. kabbott14

kabbott14 New Member

Aug 1, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Will definitely be at Saturday's match. What time are the SoB's meeting up?

20. bhastie8269

bhastie8269 Member

May 12, 2009
    King of Prussia, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are usually there about 30 mins before kickoff and meet near the entrance. There haven't been a lot of SoB turnout this year as of yet, but we are hoping that with the Independence taking a 2 point lead on Western NY after their 4-3 win last night with a match up with them on Saturday will help draw a bigger SoB crowd. We want to cheer the independence to a win saturday to take a 5 point lead in the standings, especially since WNY has two games in hand

21. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Next two Sundays, 6PM $10 SOB ticket special at Widener with FREE PARKING!

Sunday 7/31 vs. Atlanta (Heather Mitts from Philadelphia Women's Soccer lore, and Carli Lloyd from Delran, NJ) 6 PM at Widener

Sunday 8/7 vs. New Jersey (Heather O'Reilly's) 6PM at Widener

At the conclusion of the WPS season next month, there will likely be a home playoff game at our very own PPL Park on either Saturday 8/20 (if we get the #2 seed) or Saturday 8/27 (if we get the #1 seed). SAVE BOTH DATES please, this is truly SOB destiny happening. I'm Cheesesteaks til I die! What a great opportunity for Phila. soccer and PPL park in potentially televised fashion. All three of the above games, regular season and playoffs, are all slated to appear LIVE on FOX SOCCER CHANNEL.

22. kabbott14

kabbott14 New Member

Aug 1, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    That would be amazing for the Indy if they could play in PPL Stadium. Tasha Kai, Val Henderson and Leann Sanderson were at the Everton friendly last week - maybe they're scoping out the place ;)

23. SoB Bolton

SoB Bolton New Member

Mar 25, 2007
    Chester, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget Joanna Lohman! #jolohmaniacs

24. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's go Philly! Win tonight, and clinch the semifinals or better next month at PPL Park!

7/31 Song sheet attached.

Atlanta has Heather Mitts, hoping she plays. Carli Lloyd from the USWNT won't be playing this one due to a suspension.

25. phillypride

phillypride Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Independence is offering discounted season tickets again to SOBs. They are very affordable at $120 and good seats in the blue section. Check out the seating diagram and place your deposit here or call them at 267-460-6129 or 267-244-9571.

I just placed a deposit and so should you! Whether you want to stand and sing with the SOBs there or just chill and enjoy great soccer, it's well worth the time and money in my humble opinion. Best value for your soccer dollar and often more entertaining than Union games.