InDemand's e-mail about cutting MLS games

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by usagoal, Sep 5, 2002.

1. usagoal

usagoal Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Las Vegas
    I got this e-mail back from InDemand:

Last weekend, iN DEMAND was required to make changes in the MLS Shootout package due to broadcast transmission issues.

In light of these technical issues, iN DEMAND has been working to find a solution so it can continue to provide MLS games to its customers.

As a result, in order to ensure that we continue to broadcast as complete an MLS schedule as possible, iN DEMAND will be exhibiting a number of MLS games on a tape-delayed basis.

Please check our schedule at www.indemand.com for the MLS Shootout
    package schedule and for more details.

2. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    better than not showing them at all

3. stinky

stinky Member

May 14, 2000
    Long Beach, NY
    the dish network shootout package only shows saturday games....

4. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this sounds a lot better than nothing.

i wonder if they got swamped by emails, phone calls, etc.

i wonder how deep into Saturday night they'll be showing games. hopefully not all at the same time (e.g., 3 games at 2am edt), for obvious taping/viewing reasons...

5. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    we asked, they listened. I will not complain. Besides, it may be better in some cases.

Burn plays 7 or 730 most of the time. Suppose the LA-Goon game is tape delayed until, say, midnight. Hey, I'm home and can now watch or tape it.

And, I've still got the tape of the Burn game I went to.

works for me...if it's that or nothing.

6. smac09

smac09 New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    New York
    inSufficient

They sent me the same email. The only thing is, they say to check their schedule and look for more details...I go to their website, the schedule's the same & there are no new details.

And so they continue the Grand Cornholing.

7. jdm2662

jdm2662 New Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Hillside, IL
    As a former employee of AT&T Broadband, none of this shocks me the least.

8. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to my on-screen guide:

DC-NE tape-delayed at 10
    LA-Chi tape-delayed at 11

9. feuerfex

feuerfex Member

Apr 21, 2001
    They're squeezing a 90 minute game into 60 minutes? (shades of telemundo)

10. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, two different PPV channels will be used. LA has a pre-game too, but I forget whether that starts at 11 or 10:30with the game at 11.

11. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why, when you can get some distributors to give you a dish for free, are you screwing around with these weasels?

12. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA

I can't get a dish, I live in an apartment, and they won't let me install one.

13. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because:

- I'm not easily bought for a piece of "free" equipment which sometimes is "free" only when you commit to a certain length of service contract.
    - the dish companies don't offer local programming such as high school sports and community programs that I am interested in watching
    - the dish companies charge more than my cable company for comparable service
    - the dish companies don't give me free PPVs for being a good customer
    - the GM of the dish company doesn't personally answer my e-mails on the weekend and take a personal interest in what I would like offered
    - the dish companies don't do squat for my community while my cable company - a regional outfit that is one of the top 20 in the country and offers services before many of the bigger outfits on a regular basis - is very active in our area

But that's just me. I'm well aware that the choice between dish and cable is just that, a personal choice based on a number of issues, and anyone who thinks that there is a one-size-fits-all solution is woefully ill-informed and just a shill for something that obviously has drawbacks as well as benefits.

15. BallStateMiddie

BallStateMiddie New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Nashvegas
    I'd give my dish up in a heartbeat if I could get dig cable for the sole reason that the cable is a lot more compatible with the beauty that is TiVo. Not that I can't use it now, it's just not as easy for a couple reasons which I won't go into. The crapper for me is that they get dig cable on the other side of the street, but my side is "outside the city limits."

16. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Briefly what compatibility issues are there? I have Tivo and was thinking about getting a dish.

17. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    My Tivo works fine with the satellite.

18. Noonan

Noonan New Member

Dec 16, 2001
    Colorado
    I'd be very interested in this answer as well. I have a dish and I'm thinking of getting Tivo.

19. BallStateMiddie

Mar 28, 2002
    Nashvegas
    It's really not a huge deal.
    A. there was no way to hook up the TiVo directly to the satellite receiver to act as the "remote," so I have to rely on the IR emitters aimed at the receiver's receiver (ha) to change the channel for any reason.This is only mildly annoying for regular viewing, but a few different times something has failed to record because the TiVo's emitters got bumped or something and didn't change the channel on the satellite. This is really the biggest problem.
    B. I used to be able to hook everything up so that I could record something on TiVo and watch something else on TV by using two different inputs on the TV, but with satellite, since the signal has to be processed by the receiver, this is not possible (although I think they might have two input receivers now which doesn't help me at all.)

These are really the two issues I was referring to. Like I said, it's really just annoying more than anthing (luckily the things that have missed recording have been minor things). I'm also getting a little tired of the lack of reliability with the satellite. I know this may just be my experience, but last weekend I missed all my Shootout games because my "smart card" was acting up.

Noonan: I don't care if you only get one channel with rabbit ears you have to hold 4 feet over your head, Tivo is COMPLETELY worth it. You haven't watched soccer until you've watched it on Tivo.

20. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    FYI, I have both those problems with my digital although A really isn't a problem (and I can watch non-digital cable programs while recording). Are you sure you aren't thinking of Tivo with DirecTV? They are able to watch one channel and record another.

It's really weird that Tivo isn't a common household appliance yet. It's like good sushi, there's no going back.

21. BallStateMiddie

Mar 28, 2002
    Nashvegas
    Truer words may never have been spoken. Have you ever met anyone who knew TiVo and didn't love it? I was referring to the DirecTV w/ TiVo, I think they have them at Radio Shack. Also, if you're considering Dish, think about the fact that at least for this year, Dish Network didn't show any weekday or Sunday games, but DirecTV did. This was a fatal error on my part. I missed a bunch of games because of this.

22. patrickdavila

patrickdavila Member

Jan 13, 1999
    Easton, PA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about $399 for the unit and $250 for a lifetime subscription fee! No one is arguing that Tivo isn't a great product. I'd like one but it's expensive at this time. I know Dish offers a PVR integrated with one of their recievers for $199 with no additional fees besides the programming:
    http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/technology/receivers/dishpvr501/index.shtml

I'm into linux and was actually thinking of putting one together myself. I researched it and there some projects hackers are already working on:

http://freevo.sourceforge.net/
    http://www.cadsoft.de/people/kls/vdr/index.htm
    http://www.linuxtv.org/

Sony are coming out with their own unit for $1100 in November. If someone comes up with a similiar product for under $200 they will make a killing! Unless they come down in price I see writeable DVD's becoming the standard. The Panasonic model goes for about $600 now and will probably drop in the next year.

23. heybeerman

heybeerman Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Chicago Burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Tivo

Get a Sony SAT-T60 Tivo unit with Dual Tuners and the MLS shootout package. You can also get most of the local channels.

All of your problem will be solved.

Except, Version 2 of the SAT-T60 is coming out soon.

I just bought a HDTV w/Directv receiver and am dying without Tivo on it. I think they will release this model by Christmas 2003.

24. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Get an integrated Tivo (or Ultimate TV) receiver and you won't have any connectivity problems.

25. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Give it time. DVD players just recently went "mainstream"