Incident Inquiry - Promise no Ranting :P

Discussion in 'Referee' started by babranski, Sep 26, 2023.

1. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I posted this on twitter but then remembered the last time I reached out here someone was actually able to get an explanation ... somehow.

https://x.com/babranski/status/1706835996451443120?s=20

Does anybody by chance know what happened? I was at the game but in a difficult position to see what happen. It appeared that the FSU coach left his designated area and attempted to confront UNC bench again, but I didn't see how far he went or whether there was physical restraint. The box score shows a pair of yellows but the PA only announced the yellow to the FSU bench.

2. soccerref69420

soccerref69420 Member+

President of the Antonio Miguel Mateu Lahoz fan cub
    Mar 14, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea DPR
  3. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Midwest Ref

Midwest Ref Member

Jul 25, 2002
    College box scores are always problematic with showing cards to coaches, because they do not have a jersey number. There is no way to accurately record the info in the NCAA's stats program that is used to create the box scores. The officials are supposed to confirm the information in the box score, so it does appear that there were multiple bench yellows, it is just hard to know who got them or why.

Law5 repped this.
  5. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thank you ... last time I posted a similar incident (at Alabama game) one of the members seemingly was able to reach out to a member of the crew at the game to ask what happened. I thought I'd try again but it seems like I've understandably used up all my good will here.

My only concern about this is that it appears to be the second time in 4 games that a coach has left their bench to confront the UNC one. I worried after Alabama that the matching yellows may be seen as an acceptable price to pay to other coaches to try to antagonize the UNC bench, and now here we are not long after in the same place. I don't think the officials can do anything about that because it seems to me the larger bodies like the NCAA or the ACC needs to step up here.

6. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh and I guess I have another question about this. When they are "bench" yellows do they still apply to a single person (like the coach) or would that have been specified. I'm assuming if the same person on the bench got two yellow cards they'd been booted. If it is a general bench yellow, what's the impact of getting two "bench" yellows if it's not to a specific person?

7. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    I’d love to know what the coach says to get his opposing counterpart so riled up that they would risk dismissal. If it is intentional/premeditated, he’s a true master of manipulation.

8. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it was the premise of the confrontation during the Alabama game as it was explained here in the other thread. Damon Nahas apparently said something that the Alabama coach reacted to by crossing over the half way line and needing to be restrained by the 4th official.

I'm not sure how I feel about the idea that Nahas may have successfully manipulated two college cup coaches to leave their technical area in anger. That ... doesn't feel like the occum razor's explanation of what's happening here.

9. soccerref69420

soccerref69420 Member+

President of the Antonio Miguel Mateu Lahoz fan cub
    Mar 14, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea DPR
    [​IMG]

10. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I said I wouldn't rant and I'm not going to, especially since my theory is already out there for you all to read in the other thread.

It is nice to see that you're still reading and picking out bits in comments as warning flags. Shows me you care.

11. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    Well, if I were an NC fan, I would feel that any such tactic is brilliant. Upsetting an opponent is an amazing way of keeping him from paying attention to what he should be doing.

Personally, having a coach aggressively moving towards the other technical area is quite rare. Sure, they yell at each other and get shushed. But to leave their own area aggressively towards the other? I can count having seen that on one hand. For it to happen twice in 4 games is a stunning statistical aberration. What would be, using the principle of OccAm’S razor, the simplest explanation?

12. Midwest Ref

Midwest Ref Member

Jul 25, 2002
    Each card is given to an individual. The box score reporting system used by the NCAA does not permit coaches to be individually listed and identified.

babranski repped this.
  13. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I created another thread after the first incident and ... vented ... my thoughts. I want to avoid doing that again, especially since I'm not really sure what happened this time around. I didn't have a good angle and the TV broadcast didn't catch the incident because it was busy showing replays of a goal that had just been scored.

14. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    I didn’t read the breadth of the other thread (i mean, who could?), but i did get to watch the ala Nc game in its entirety. I thought the referee was really really good, and the game was a nothing burger until the last 10 minutes or so. But it seemed that your thrust in the thread was that there is some sort of problem with the SEC and its officiating? And your concern is that the event in the fsu game is further evidence of that?

15. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    trying to provoke me to rant again?

16. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    Wait you’re saying that people can be provoked into acting against their better judgment?

srsly tho I was just trying to get a tl:dr summary of your premise: certainly I don’t mean to misunderstand but if you won’t be clear…. But from where I’m sitting your “concern” does not seem to extend to considering explanations that don’t fit that premise.

AremRed repped this.
  17. USSF REF

USSF REF Guest

chwmy repped this.
  18. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this is a lot of double speak and male fide clearly from someone who could care less about my actual premise... because my actual premise doesn't require summarizing to anyone who is coming to the conversation in good faith. Teams understand that UNC is a rhythm and momentum team that wants to go go go and they to try to frustrate and slow UNC down with physicality and provocation, on and off the field. A child can grasp that and it doesn't require literary mechanics to explain.

19. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I came here to ask if anybody knew or could ask those who did what actually happened in the UNC vs FSU game. If you don't know or don't want to that's fine ...

... but don't be hormonal teenagers posting memes and disingenuous arguments just because your blood is up about unrelated pgmol incidents this weekend on the other side of the world.

20. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    No need to infantilize. You could have just said that. Aren’t physicality and provocation part of this game? But only a child cries about it.

21. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    do you have an answer or the ability to find out what happened? Otherwise, I think it's time for you to be done on this thread before a mod gives you a warning.

22. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    I don’t have any direct knowledge or particular insight except that the CR would not care what was actually said to whom and who started it and all that- she would take the 4O’s recommendation as to misconduct. And the 4O doesn’t care either, as long as everyone behaves afterwards.

I am still mystified that you see angry behavior as provocative, and not provoked. As a referee, it just doesn’t work that way. I am grateful that this board is heavily moderated. You’d be amazed what you learn from reading more than writing here.

23. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    then maybe you should go back and read the breadth of the other thread that you admitted you didn't read. Then we can continue this conversation in personal message as it is no longer appropriate here with you being ignorant of the situation originally being discussed.

24. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    I would if it had anything but partisanship, which those not in the same camp find excruciatingly dull. In this thread, where your stated “concern” seems to be about the inadequacy of sanctioning misconduct in preventing opposing coaches from “antagonizing” the NC bench, which referees are powerless to stop. If you don’t want to talk about that part, you shouldn’t have posted it in the first place. But since you brought it up, I asked questions that you answered in a condescending fashion and accused me of provoking you. I have offered insight as a referee as to our mindset when addressing bench misconduct, which you don’t seem interested in at all.

In this case the referee is physically present in the exchange and is directed the coach back to his area, which means she has already administered the misconduct. What he did when she is there apparently did not rise to the level of further misconduct and the sendoff that you desperately crave. But for others who might dip into this thread (guess what? This board and this thread is public) might actually come away with my main point, which I reiterate: anger on the soccer field is not a provocation, but a provoked reaction.

babranski repped this.