In with the new - Summer 2019 transfer thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by chjoak, Feb 1, 2019.

1. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    We will finally sign ribery

Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  2. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Cech out, Akinfeev confirmed.

Babel might come too. Ribery and Robben are the wingers we miss. Might even give Trezeguet a call.

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  3. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    There is more chance of that happening than some of the fantasy rumors making the rounds. At least Trezeguet would fit into Arsenal's transfer budget.

4. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would be good for Arsenal if Madrid took Hazard, Pogba and Eriksen

Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  5. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I have a friend who's a Madridista and he's hopeful of exactly that, but all I can think of is that their midfield would become a dysfunctional mess. Maybe if they left Pogba out of the shopping spree...

But seeing as I hate Madrid and love Arsenal I say go for it!

6. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Madrid don't buy black players very often.

7. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    What's that suppose to mean? They've had a good amount of African and black players there. You could say the same for Barcelona. Infact it's clubs like Valencia, Bilbao etc that have had handful of blacl signings. This is by far the stupidest post I've seen in BS.

You should also consider, in the case pf African players, Spain has a non-EU space limit.

8. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    Surprised Welbz isn't listed. He's always injured. Unsure of Mhiki leaving. We can't leave it all for Iwobi to do the creative work and Mhiki has an element of team chemistry. Sure we can squeeze one year out of him.

9. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Isn't Welstroz out of contract?

I'd really prefer us to keep Mhiki but he may be sacrified to raise cash and free headroom - exactly the kind of ruthless pruning Arsenal needs to do

10. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is and there are rumors circling that we are considering a new deal for him.

11. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Do they though? Barca seems to get tired of brothers really quick, but they also have mad love of E. Abidal for obvious reasons. I am also extremely curious about Spain's general lack of black Spanish players.

12. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The last black player that Real Madrid signed (not including loans) was Lassana Diarra in the summer of 2008. Before that, Mahmadou Diarra in 2006, Claude Makelele in 2001, and Nicolas Anelka in 1999.

The last loan of a black player to Real Madrid was Michael Essien in 2012-2013.

Real Madrid have had as many managers in the last five years as they've had African players this century. How's that for stupid?

13. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Senna and inaki Williams are Alli can think of

14. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #214 thebigman, Apr 2, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    They’ve won lots though but don’t forget their facist roots

Edit: does Benzema count on a technicality, and Zidane lol

15. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New name on the sporting/technical director role...Andoni Zubizarreta

Currently at Marseilles (since 2016). Formally at Barca (with Raul) and was responsible for the signings of Neymar, Suarez, Rakatic, ter Stegen & Alba.

16. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    #216 Serengeti_Boy, Apr 2, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    You exclude Vinicuis Jnr, Julio Baptista, Royston Drenthe, Balboa (youth player from some African country can't recall was disposed since he wasn't good enough).

Now they're linked with Sadio Mane but doubt he comes because of price, let's not forget chasing Mbappe last year before he moved to Madrid. Before Sadio and after the Yaya/Drogba there were no world class Africans in the market (I say this as an African). First the loans of Essien and Ade were not made permanent because they were stop gaps not good enough for permanent slots.

Madrid and Barca have bought based on talent not color. It's blatant for you to see. It's the other clubs you should ask about.

Your "killer punch line" of there have been as many black players as managers is rootless considering Madrid famously signed the first black player in La Liga in laurie Cunningham in the 70s.

Surely.

Gunning4Chelsea repped this.
  17. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    Umtiti is a fixture there. Dembele too but has had issues with coaching. Seydou Keita was there for a while as well. Yerri Mina was disposed because of the EU limit spot (He's colombian) and for the price they got and his Everton performance I think that was wise.

Barca even once thought Song could do well in their team. Honestly, they've given chances to Black/African players I believe both clubs are colorblind. The rest of Liga I am not sure. You are better off asking why Athletico Madrid have few black representation.

AEAAFC96 repped this.
  18. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Like I said I'm more interested in why there are no black kids coming through. I'm not going to jump to racism but I'd like to know what is happening at the grassroots level. Even Italy has black kids on the national teams.

19. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    You can add Henry and Eto to Barcelona's roster history. Madrid is a little more suspect.

AEAAFC96 repped this.
  20. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Barca have had lots more black players over the years for sure

Spain is not a country with a lot of long time black residents off the top of the head? It may be due to different colonies as England and France raped Africa more

In a few decades u will see more black Spanish people as people have emigrated there over the years where as we and France have people whose grand parents came here

Italy is the same

Both countries had issue with facism less than 100 years ago

21. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    You can add Karembeu, Geremi, Lassana Diarra, and Clarence Seedorf as well. Madrid's first signing of the summer is Militao another black player. The two clubs may have one pip the other but the difference isn't big. Considering Zidane is at the helm and he has a link and respect with French players who are 80% black, I wouldn't be surprised to see more signings that "facist Madrid" has.

22. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    The Bigman explains it well above. Italy is a hotspot for African immigrants in particular Ghana. Portugal, Belgium, Germany, Holland and England and France obviously have always been hotspots over the years from across Africa and also colonies.

I am not knowledgeable in why Spain is the odd one out and has always been but I suppose the lack of African colonies definately plays a factor. Portugal for one has naturalized so many Angolan or Mozambique talent. France is ridiculously known for this. This clearly plays a part in representation in grassroots.

AEAAFC96 and Gunning4Chelsea repped this.
  23. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Spain did have colonial possessions in Africa

See for example the genesis of the Spanish civil war

Francos Army started in Africa

thebigman and Super Llama repped this.
  24. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm not counting those of South American descent as black for the purposes of this discussion (and only this discussion) because we're talking about Real Madrid's behavior in the transfer market. They appear to treat those of South American descent differently.

Real Madrid do not appear to buy players of African descent (other than those of Arab descent, like Benzema). They certainly do not do so for big fees. They do not buy young black prospects. I think it's unlikely they buy Pogba given this track record. I'm not a mind reader and don't know who's making the decisions in Madrid, let alone their state of mind, so I'm not going to call Madrid's decisionmaking racist. But there is a pretty clear pattern to their decisionmaking, and that pattern exists whether or not other clubs in Spain are even less likely to buy players of African descent.

I'm talking about Real Madrid and not Barcelona, because Real's behavior seems unique: they target either white European players or South American players with no in between. There's no such discussion about Barcelona: they've bought Eto'o, Abidal, Henry, Dembele, Umtiti, and I'm sure I'm missing a few.

Finally, there have been a lot of really good black players in the last fifteen years. Real Madrid have not signed one of them.

25. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    TIL that Spain controlled what is now Equatorial Guinea from 1778 until independence. I thought their colonies in Africa were limited to modern day Western Sahara and the south side of the Straits of Gibraltar.

thebigman repped this.