In which we post yet another ten thousand plus interesting or amusing - or neither - tweets

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Jun 6, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Mike03, dapip and spejic repped this.
  2. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

3. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

bigredfutbol and dapip repped this.
  5. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Jitty Slitter and dapip repped this.
  6. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bigredfutbol, Mike03 and dapip repped this.
  7. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Jean-Claude Van Damme dancing the greatest dance mankind has ever and will ever see rep.

NORML and rslfanboy repped this.
  8. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I want to give my interpretation of the shoplifting issue as someone close to the front lines. First, there is a lot of shoplifting. A lot lot. It's everyone - every age, every race, every gender. It isn't about people stealing to live, which I could respect somewhat. I don't just live in Marin, I live in a suburb area of Marin. There's not a lot of hungry here. If someone is hungry, there is are multiple oversupplied food banks. The homeless around the store have EBT cards (what used to be food stamps). It's almost always about people who think they deserve to have something but aren't willing to pay the full or any price for it. The (I think smaller percent, mostly kids) who think they are skillful cat-thieves are morons. They could literally walk up to me and say "I'm going to steal this" and all I could do is say "have a nice day". We had a great, dedicated, hard worker in the store once who chased after someone stealing thousands in expensive alcohol and she was fired for it.

What I do know is that when shoplifting gets bad, management has a solution. They cut the hours of the workers. That's the one solution they have to any profitability problem. And it works, which is why the do it and don't care to find any other way. They could do more if they wanted. Lots of stores (not ours) track customers by biometrics on cameras to see what they do in a store. Lots of stores (including ours) track cell phones. They just don't want to do more.

So people that steal don't steal from a inhuman corporation. They steal from people like me.

luftmensch, raza_rebel, Pønch and 14 others repped this.
  9. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Truck i saw yesterday had written on the back "NOT GOING ELECTRIC NO WAY NO HOW"

Eel's Tonka Truck starts at $60K and goes up to $100K for the rocket version.

10. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  11. ShayG

ShayG Member+

Celtic
    United States
    Aug 9, 2021
    I’ve seen a number of recent studies about how shoplifting is down. I wonder if that is related to how much is locked up these days. A few years ago you could still go into a store and buy things in the Bay Area but now everything from liquor to toothpaste is locked up in many stores.

roadkit, Deadtigers and spejic repped this.
  12. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Thr organized rampaging makes the news but its the everyday stuff that adds up. When I worked retail in college I would sit with the loss prevention guys at Filene's and watch the fun from the back. They nailed all kinds - doctors, lawyers, priests, rabbis, little old ladies. One time the dad of a kid I played bball with in HS got nailed and begged them not to call the cops. They were unmoved. All for a $55 pair of shoes.

Not to mention all the employee theft. :eek:

luftmensch, soccernutter and Deadtigers repped this.
  13. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  14. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the grocery store I would go to in Milwaukee, I would see one full shopping cart get stopped by employees about once every month or two. Then Buffalo happened, and they put an armed security guard by the entrance. Never saw any attempted shoplifting after that.

Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  16. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

soccernutter, Mike03, InTheSun and 2 others repped this.
  17. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    superdave repped this.
  18. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    raza_rebel, soccernutter, Mike03 and 5 others repped this.
  19. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When DC decriminalized stealing rides on Metro, I felt like I was the only person paying to ride. Entering the Metro was like watching the hurdles at a track meet so many people were jumping over them.

When you remove consequences for criminal behavior, guess what? People do criming.

luftmensch, ShayG, superdave and 3 others repped this.
  20. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can always donate them to the refugee camp in South Sudan or East Timor. All of those "New England Revolution MLS Cup Champions" T-shirts are getting a little worn, so they can use some reinforcements.

chaski, soccernutter, superdave and 3 others repped this.
  21. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Don't make them wait as long as they had to wait to get the Buffalo Bills Super Bowl Champs shirts replaced.

soccernutter repped this.
  22. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    A friend of mine, who is a big NY Giants fan, was in Honduras for the Peace Corps after the Giants lost the Super Bowl to the Ravens and bought one of those Giants Super Bowl champions shirts of a guys back.

spejic repped this.
  23. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's an awesome collector's item. I would love to have a LA Galaxy 2001 MLS Cup Champions T-shirt for my collection.

Deadtigers repped this.
  24. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The American companies are going to take a huge hit on EVs, [Exempt TESLA and maybe other startups] the Chinese are going to sell their vehicles all over the world and leave no market share to US companies, only Tariffs in the USA will protect them from having to compete in the local market.

They have to learn that they can't just build expensive shitty EVs and expect people to buy them.

upload_2023-12-11_12-19-40.png

Smurfquake repped this.
  25. Mike03

Mike03 Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Or they can count on the inexhaustible appetite for expensive shitty trucks and SUVs

M and fatbastard repped this.