In-Season Player Rumors & Movement 2012

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Dills, Mar 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. polman

polman Member

Jul 22, 2005
    Next year:
    1. Pay some $ for a two proven goal scorers- stop with the youth nonsense. Spend some money.
    2. I know people on this board love Jack Mac but frankly don't see it. There are 10 college forwards as good. Ask yourself- what is his skill set really? Great dribbler? Speed quickness? Out of this world technique? No to all. He's a decent sub nothing more right now.
    3. Adu is gone next year- book it.
    4. Cruz is not a starter in this league, all effort and hustle, that's about it. As a player he's not very good. Another sub.
    5. Back line has played pretty well especiall the two CB's. The lB Farfan is suspect.
    6. Keep Carrol, he brings stability.
    7. McMath needs to improve, he's gotten a free pass this year.
    8. Hackworth should stop with the complaining after every loss about how well they possessed the ball but can't find the net. First off the possession is decent not great, I mean no one thinks they're Barcelona. And 2nd, they really don't create many chances off the possession. Listening to Hack you would think they're creating chance after chance.

2. SOwannaB

SOwannaB Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soccer IQ

3. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    He is a player that isn't being used how he should be used (shocking on this team, right?). If you look at how he is being used he is either deployed as the point in a 4-3-3 or on his own in a 4-5-1 or 4-2-3-1. He is 5'10" and 150 pounds, he is not going to be effective as a player in any of those systems because he just isn't big enough. He does well enough considering he gives up 20 to 50 pounds and 2 to 6 inches on all the center defenders he matches up against. But the style of play just is not conductive for him to succeed in this system.

In the last 10 games he has played 9 of them (red carded in the MTL game so he missed the ). In those games he has 12 shots. Total. And of those shots 6 of them were headers. When he takes a shot he is good at putting them on target (8 of those 12 are on target). The problem is he just doesn't get the space to take the shots. The problem is our offense has huge problems getting the ball into good positions inside the 18, which is where a point player should be getting his shots. If you look at the numbers the team has taken 71 shots in the past 5 games and Jack has attributed for only 8 of those. And of those 71 shots only 33 of those were taken in the 18 yard box (46.48%). You just aren't going to get the best out of your striker when most of the shots come from outside the 18 (and most are likely from your midfielders).

What Jack is good at is passing most games. He is at a 77.78% pass completion rate (154 out of 198) in the last 9 games, which is really good for a forward player. If you look at other forwards you will find that he probably is a more efficient passer than pretty much all of them. I honestly think if you played him as a deeper lying forward with another striker that plays as an advanced forward that he could be effective. He strikes a nice ball from distance and he is good at passing. He is also good at sneaking in late to poach goals, which you can't do if you are supposed to be the point striker. I think he can be an effective striker in this league but not the way he is being played right now (unless you find a way to make him the size of Peter Crouch in the off-season).

4. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The discussion about Jack is interesting. I don't see his passing as historically being particularly good, despite his completion rate, although it's certainly improved drastically over the past few games. This is mostly because Jack has had to drop deep to receive service, and he's almost playing as a withdrawn forward or an attacking midfielder. Considering his size, his aerial ability is actually not too bad. He'll be one of the very few players this year to score on a header. Jack is a poacher, kind of like Wondolowski at SJ, although obviously he's not as good as Wondo (yet). If he was able to play off of a target forward type of player (Kenny Cooper anyone?), he would score a ton of garbage goals.

5. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great post, though I personally want to see Jack Mac as an out and out poacher playing off a target man. While I know this board frowns upon anything related to Soccer IQ, I feel as though Jack makes up for his lack of size and speed with a very savvy, smart striker. He is great at finding pockets of space, a skill that being this team's target squanders.

6. cpurdom

cpurdom Member

Mar 3, 2008
    127 F
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    For a target Mac spends an awful lot of time on the left side with the ball. Every time I see him over there I wonder who he's supposed to be getting the ball to.

7. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

8. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Is that the first known picture of Al O'Cation?

9. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Favorite club? a German one..........
    Apr 14, 2010
    in exile-Statute of Limitations yet to expire
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    either that, or Lopez got a haircut............

SOwannaB repped this.
  10. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The sad part is he's tied for 10th-leading scorer on our current roster.

BuddhaWake repped this.
  11. UnionTillIDie

UnionTillIDie Member

Jan 14, 2011
    Section CI
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Just behind "Own Goal," who leads the team with big chances!

12. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Latest piece coming from the Union communications machine - damn, Kerith is a busy man - highlights the remainder of the reserve league matches.

Just found it ironic that the image chosen shows former-Crew member, and one-time Union trialist (?) Aubrey Perry.

[​IMG]

That is all. :cool:

13. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. jess370

jess370 Member+

Feb 14, 2008
    collingswood
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    unholyunion repped this.
  15. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Damn Josue, we hardly knew ya. too bad I liked the kid too. This is one of the fluffiest fluff pieces ever so no doubt he gets traded/sold.

Waiting for the Gomez one later in the week.

16. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe Kerith will have the opposite effect and Josue will go on to greatness.

17. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
  18. jess370

jess370 Member+

Feb 14, 2008
    collingswood
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
  19. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I liked what I saw this weekend. Everything was there for him except the finishing. If he finds his shooting boots, he would be a guaranteed starter on this team. The garbage goal was a consolation prize of sorts.

20. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least three instances he was sloppy on the ball and seemed surprised that the defenders quickly poked it away. Hope he learned his lesson.

21. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given the roster freeze, there won't be any more player movement for 2012.

See the handy dandy new thread for the 2013 offseason HERE.