In-Season Player Rumors & Movement 2011 [PT 1]

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by ImissTHEheat, Mar 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billy Zabka

Billy Zabka Member+

May 4, 2006
    RoFo, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: In-Season Player Rumors & Movement 2011 [MERGED]

Yes and no.

I don't think reacquiring a third GK is dumb. After the 9/15 roster freeze, I can see them not wanting to rely on an MLS pool GK in a key match if calamity strikes (i.e. 40-year-old Mondragon gets hurt, MacMath starts and gets red carded). A 3rd keeper is a reasonable insurance policy.

Making that third GK Holder and re-filling that last international spot again? I don't like that very much. Really limits our ability to trade for help within the league. Of course, they can trade for an international player and re-release Holder again, but then it just feels like a waste of time.

2. christie3

christie3 Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Rising Sun, MD
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I just figured out why we signed holder back. We let him go resulting in a 0-2-3 record. The FO wanted our lucky charm back

3. Doop

Doop Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Instead of being a Thorne in our side?

4. riot71

riot71 Member+

Dec 11, 2003
    New Jersey

What happens when you push it???? Please tell us cause we all care

5. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Allow me to clarify. Filling an int'l slot with a GK that will almost certainly never see a league minute is what I consider dumb, especially in light of the fact that he was already released earlier during the year. This indicates to me that the FO doesn't consider a third string GK all that important. Furthermore, int'l slots are at a premium. I don't disagree with having a third goalkeeper, but the likelihood of him even playing is so remote that he OUGHT to just be a MLS pool guy. That way he is not taking up an int'l slot.

Brad Knighton was serviceable and cheap and could have filled this role, but the FO rather foolishly released him. Interestingly enough, I've heard he's had a pretty good run with the RailHawks.

6. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's more than that. New MLS rules for this season indicate that a team can only have access to an MLS pool keeper if they have three keepers on their roster. If we only had two keepers (Mondragon, MacMath) on the roster at 9/15 and we lost both for a game, we'd have to resort to... using one of our outfield players in goal.

Is that likely? No, of course not, but it happens on rare occasion and it's kind of silly not to have the insurance policy of a third keeper when we have roster space and budget room. Better than seeing Michael Farfan in goal, right?

Yeah, this. It's a third keeper. Just sign an American player for the role who is the minimum. We don't need anything special realistically, because it's unlikely they'd ever be used since it's just for an emergency. For example....

When you think about it, it was absolutely pointless, if not stupid for Union to get rid of Knighton (who didn't cost an international spot and was making the minimum) and sign Holder instead. Even if Holder is better, who cares? It's unlikely to make a real difference even over a full season and it's not like Knighton was awful.

7. bluetooner

bluetooner Member

Nov 7, 2008
    Carteret NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

My guess is that Knighton was let go to help Knighton - not because the Union didn't want him as 3rd choice GK. The 3rd Choice keeper is getting what, 45mins of a reserve game and some friendlies, maybe 300minutes total all season? Knighton is at the stage where being 3rd choice for getting MLS minutes isn't what he needs in his career. A step down to being first choice in the NASL or whatever is better for him. Why not let him do that. I'm sure that is something KNighton discussed with the FO as soon as Mondy/McMath were going to be our top 2.

8. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[​IMG]

Insert snarky Nowak response.

9. D-Wall

D-Wall Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well I guess we are going to fight with the team that we have. Please Union FO, prove me wrong that you are not trying to sign another striker who can score that is a free agent.

What do we have left, making a trade for some stiff that another team has given up on?Someone that is an American? Eddie Johnson? Game over, man...

I think we see the intentions of this front office that can't seal a deal to bring in players or they planned not to, and they are happy to sell 18K tickets per game. We may miss the play-offs.

10. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Seriously!?!?!?! WE PLAY IN MLS!!!! This is not Europe, South America or Mexico!!! Our league has a Salary Cap of approx. $3 Million. To put that in perspective: Henry, Keane, and Marquez make more then that a SEASON!

Look, we all want The U to be in first place and sign great players, win trophies, etc. Convincing talented strikers to come to MLS is not easy. Hell it isn't easy in the Top Leagues in the World!! Our FO not only competes for players with the other 17 MLS clubs, but EVERY other club around the world!! Question: Would YOU take a job in another country where you didn't know the language for a nice raise?

Relax, it's only our second season. Rome was not built in a day. Besides if we'd have signed a hot shot striker we'd all be bitching in November when we'd lose a Farfan or another one of our promising young players in the expansion draft (remember Shea Salinas?).

11. gta95

gta95 Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Jersey
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ok Mr. Comedian

http://instantrimshot.com/

12. ImissTHEheat

ImissTHEheat Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think this reacquisition of Holder makes the signing of a domestic player from the City Islanders after their playoffs end (read: win the championship) all the more likely. The lack of international slot suggests that this many be seen as a better long term and short term option. Given the roles and progression I've seen, it seems as though F Brian Ackley and CB David Rodriguez are candidates having played with the Union reserves, Reading United, and now Harrisburg this season.

http://www.cityislanders.com/

I like some of the other players they have on the field in attacking positions, but these two stick out for me as having received a lot of coaching attention from the U.

13. drn99

drn99 Member

Jul 4, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Signing someone from the City Islanders is expected. But....I've seen both Ackely and Rodriguez play and neither is remotely good enough for MLS. Their only asset is size. I like Angulo and Touray but we don't currently have a spot for them. The only player we can sign that I think can play in MLS is Welker.

It would have been cool if we sent Holder on a scouting/recruitment trip to FCNY. Arteaga would be a great signing. I wonder if we could still drop JDG to clear a spot for him.

14. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's an approximate per team cap/budget, not $3M spread out over all 18 teams.

15. Zman Gunner

Zman Gunner BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Although he is Colombian, Angulo has a green card so he would not require an international roster spot from the Union.
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:s_8c3Bli-psJ:njmg.typepad.com/sbi/2007/05/my_story_on_ang.html+jose+angulo,+green+card,+colombia&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&source=www.google.com

A few other notes about him that have been previously posted:
    * attended high school at St. Benedicts (Newark, NJ) - high school soccer powerhouse with usually with a diverse international player base (same school as Union Academy player - Christian Hernandez - goal scorer against Everton). Angulo's high school coach was Rick Jacobs - Union's current VP of Operations.
    * Colombian roots would go well with Mondragon, Valdes, Gonzalez and Torres.
    * Angulo impressed Hackworth during the joint Union/Islanders tryout over the winter.

Andrew Welker's performance during the season also would seem to warrant a call-up - plus his ability to play D and M.

Despite Brian Ackley and David Rodriguez having the edge in terms of Union reserve games (2 games each - Welker played 1, Angulo did not play) and having height which is often lacking for the Union, Welker and Angulo would seem the more likely call-ups. Having just played in the NY reserve game last week, Stephen Basso (LB) could be another depth option just based on his position.

16. Zman Gunner

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

http://www.mls-rumors.net/19139/2011/08/incoming-cote-divoire-striker-arouna-kone-to-mls

27 year old Ivory Coast national team striker - Arouna Kone - recently released by Sevilla - said to have recently received an offer from a MLS team. Although his age is probably more in line with what Philly would prefer for a DP if/when they ever sign one, his likely price range probably meant that Philly was not in the chase for him and Holder's signing signals that the international roster spot is not being used for a new free agent player - possible suitors for Kone could have been Seattle (was looking at Ghana national steam striker - Prince Tagoe - as a possible DP) or perhaps New England (just signed Caraglio as an Argentine DOP striker. Kone uses same agency as ex-Revs Dabo).

17. riot71

riot71 Member+

Dec 11, 2003
    New Jersey

Well we were connected to a ivory coast player at some point. But with holder you would think that it wouldnt add up. But then again when does anything ever add up with this club?

18. William Penn

William Penn Member+

Jul 2, 2010
    Bethlehem
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Did Levi Houapeu ever get his green card? I remember a few months ago we were saying it would happen soon.

19. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The Union could wheel-and-deal and get another team's unused international roster spot.

20. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

In a complex, multi-player, multi-team way?

21. Zman Gunner

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If the team wanted an international spot, it could waive any of the three players (Houapeu, Gonzalez, Holder - although he is less likely after being reacquired) currently using those spots who have yet to play a single 1st team minute - waive them - take the salary cap budget hit for their $$ - and sign an international player.

In terms of acquiring a spot from another team, Philly does not seem to be the wheeler-dealer types in terms of trading but if they did - a recent market comp is the NY-DCU trade (Austin da Luz - former late 1st round pick by NY last season - was sent to DCU for one of its international roster spots which it then filled with Frank Rost, German goalie. da Luz was a young reserve for NY on most gamedays - a comp for Philly would be Torres or M. Farfan).

22. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA

I don't speak Spanish but the translation made it seem like he is still under contract with Sevilla, so he can't be added until next year if someone in MLS was making a run at him.

23. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

We really seem to be having the problems/issues that befall teams with combination head coach/general managers: clumsy or expensive personnel moves; just missing out on signing players; etc. This is one situation where the American way (keeping those roles separate) is superior to the European way.

I hope Nick considers this when organizing the team administration next year - but I guess it'd mean a pay cut for Nowak.

24. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000

A couple of thoughts about these City Islanders:

* Welker - I agree completely with drn99, he seems to be a great candidate for the Union. He's versatile, finishes and distributes the ball well, and has a surprisingly good motor. I think he can develop into a very solid defensive midfielder in MLS, a la Brian Carroll.

* Angulo - I love the guy, he finishes very well, and he's incredibly strong on the ball. That being said, I think fitness is a concern and he could probably shed a little bit of weight and still keep that strength. He doesn't have the pace of Touray, which might hold him back. Great touch but at 5'11", not great height for a target man.

* Touray - Super fast and tenacious. Has a good soccer brain, gets teammates involved in the attack as well as scores goals (7 goals, 6 assists in 2011). I'd grab him now, he's just 21 years old, and worry about where to play him later.

* Ackley - I thought he played a fantastic match against LA in the playoffs. He was dominant in the air, held the ball very well, and played numerous clever flicks to overlapping attackers. He's a solid target forward and a little more mobile than Angulo, that's why Bill Becher has started him and benched Angulo recently. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Union sign him because as a target forward, he plays a role somewhat lacking in Philly.

* Rodriguez - I can't imagine him getting signed, he's barely played for Harrisburg and unless he really dazzled in the reserve league or plays well tomorrow night, he seems more suited for a full season in USL-PRO in 2012.

* Becerra - I like him a bunch as a playmaker, but he missed a lot of games due to injury and then Welker was on fire and Becerra couldn't knock him from the lineup. He's appeared for the Union reserves, so don't forget that he could be an option too. I probably rate Welker and Touray higher, but he's good on the ball (although probably redundant with Adu's signing).

* A wild card could be Vincenzo Bernardo. He's yet to play a match for Harrisburg due to a delay in getting his international clearance from Austria, so tomorrow might be his debut. Despite not seeing him play in a competitive match, he's got a solid pedigree with US U-20 experience, and he seems to have terrific ball skills based on warmups. That being said, fancy juggling means nothing in the grand scheme of things, and after leaving Italy he landed in the Austria third division, but he's just 21 years old too and I wonder if he ended up in Harrisburg with an eye to Philly or because they wanted a look.

25. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000

Oops, forgot to mention Basso, another former Union trialist. I always think he's older than he is (he just turned 24) because of his experience, but he's a very solid left back. He gets forward well and is a tenacious defender. I know that Farfan has impressed in that position, but Basso would provide some nice cover. The only question might be his pace at the MLS level, but he's a savvy defender and seems to be a great team guy.

At this point, I think that Welker, Ackley, and Basso have the makeup that MLS teams might want, while Touray should be considered too. Angulo, Becerra, Rodriguez, and Bernardo are long shots in my opinion, but they're talented so you never know. Harrison has played in MLS in the past, but Philly seems well-covered at GK. Promising younger players like Yates and Herrick missed the season with injuries, while solid veterans like Bixler, Marshall, Hotchkin, and Ombiji are either too old or lack something for consideration.