In-Season Player Rumors & Movement 2011 [PT 1]

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by ImissTHEheat, Mar 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ImissTHEheat

ImissTHEheat Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since we are now in season, and have what looks like 5 open spots on the overall roster, I guess we can get back to speculating and posting rumors from around the interwebs.

I'll put a logical leap out there more than a rumor:

In order to take advantage of our full, off-budget roster, we are either planning to evaluate homegrown prospects from the Union Academy structure, or are bringing Marcin and Walburn back in for another look after the end of their senior year (May? June?).

We have not received confirmation that Holder or Farfan required a discovery signing, nor (do I beleive) have we gotten confirmation that they can be/are accomodated on the off-budget roster.

If the only way onto that off-budget roster is through the draft, GA lottery, or HG signings, then I would imagine we are going to do our homework with regard to filling it. Such players would not be bound by any registration window as they are essentially either free agents or players whose rights we hold.

2. Zman Gunner

Zman Gunner BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: In-Season Trade and Acquisition Rumors 2011

I think that the discovery claim issue for Philly is not perhaps as dire as it may seem. MLS is famous for not being perfectly clear in terms of the rules under which teams operate - it is getting better but not as good as it should be. I am sure that there are some guidelines from the league for teams in terms of who can/can not be on the off-budget roster based on age, salary and perhaps seasons of pro experience - as of now, the rule focus is on minimum salary amounts based on age and not much more than that rule.

Here is what we know per MLS and its team press releases:
    1. Discovery claims are to be used only on Salary Budget players.

(E) DISCOVERY SIGNINGS

Clubs may make discovery claims on players not yet under MLS contract who are not subject to the allocation ranking or lottery mechanisms.

Each club has the opportunity to make six discovery signings per season (expansion teams may make 10 discovery signings in their inaugural season). A club may have up to 10 discovery claims on unsigned players at any time and may remove or add players at any time. The last day for discovery player signings is September 15, 2011 – coinciding with the roster freeze date and trade deadline.

The six discovery signings can be used to fill senior roster spots only. If multiple clubs claim the same player using a discovery, the club that filed the claim first will have first rights to the player. Discovery claims expire following each season. If the League and player are unable to reach an agreement during the season, the club that first filed the discovery retains the right of first refusal in the event the player is later signed by the League.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/2011-mls-roster-rules

2. Players Other Than Draft Picks, HG, GA Lottery Are Making Their Way on to Off-Budget Rosters

Examples already include:
    * 2010 D2 Players
    - Alec Dufty - G - Chicago Fire [24 year old - played with AC St. Louis last season]
    “We didn’t want three keepers on the senior roster,” Klopas added. “So it’s nice that his age makes him eligible for a [off-budget roster] spot.”

- Rodrigo Lopez - M - Portland Timbers [23 year old - played with Portland last season]
    The Portland Timbers announced today that they have signed midfielder Rodrigo Lopez, defender Chris Taylor and forward Spencer Thompson, who will all be on the club’s off-budget roster.

* Undrafted 2011 Rookies
    - Alex Riggs -G - Columbus Crew [23 year old - played with Missouri State last season]
    It was reported that he would take an off-budget spot as the Crew already have goalies (Will Hesmer and Andy Greunebaum) on the Salary Budget roster.

The MLS roster rules do not state how these off-budget "free agent" players are making their way on to off-budget rosters but they getting there - seemingly without a discovery claim. In previous seasons, non-GA/HG players had some or no form of guaranteed contracts so they could be added and dropped without too much issue.

In terms of Philly, the Off-Budget roster candidates (I list 12 - can only be 10 on the actual roster and the others would be on the Salary Budget roster) seem like:

GA - MacMath, Okugo, McInerney, Mwanga
    HG - Pfeffer
    Others - Richter, Houapeu, Holder, Agorsor, G. Farfan, M. Farfan, Daniel

M. Farfan signed a MLS contract prior to the SuperDraft so there may have been a clause in that contract that gave him a Salary Budget roster spot with perhaps more guarantees than an Off-Budget non-GA/HG roster spot. Daniel is likely making more than the Salary Budget minimum contract and given his pro experience, I doubt that he could be on the Off-Budget roster but again the rules are not very clear.

3. ajrangers1

ajrangers1 Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Trade for Robbie Rogers? Mapp has been a "trouble" on other teams but Nowak has gotten him to play well here, what if we take a flyer on a guy like Rogers?

4. Justinquayle

Justinquayle New Member

Jun 22, 2009

I'd take a flyer on Rogers. Need more speed on the wings with the loss of Salinas, and he's got decent size.

5. D-Wall

D-Wall Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Don't they both play on the left?

6. Zman Gunner

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Rogers is a natural LM as is Mapp but Nowak typically switches his RM and LM during the course of every game - in fact Le Toux played more LM than Mapp did against Houston.

Rogers is still young (23), not terribly expensive ($115K) and was Nowak's starting LM in the 2008 Olympics - he assumedly would knock Keon Daniel further down the depth chart. He has more experience than the other outside mid depth options (Torres, G. Farfan) who dressed for the Houston game. On the other hand, he did not done much last season and his 2009 season was not so great either.

7. Justinquayle

Justinquayle New Member

Jun 22, 2009

Rogers has played on the right for the Nats

8. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Pires Ponders Summer Prospects

Would love for him to come to MLS - but not the Union - so he can get (at least) an earful from the Philly faithful.

9. sully127

sully127 Member

Apr 3, 2010
    138, C
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If Pires comes to MLS, I say we take up a collection to finance the Union signing Toni Stahl as a DP for one game (paid for by the fans) to break Pires in half.

10. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

A Stahl/Myrie sandwich, with a side of Califf's elbow, washed down with some Mondragon-limb-removal.

11. ToonArmy5

ToonArmy5 Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Warminster
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union

yes please

12. christie3

christie3 Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Rising Sun, MD
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

lets see 335,000 for DP money IIRC and 18,500 fans in a sold out stadium plus some outsiders who may want to watch comes to less than $18 a person. Lets do it!

13. McRob

McRob Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes. And then we really hurt him.

14. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

With the transfer window set to close in a couple days (April 15th), I'm wondering if any additional players make their way onto the Union roster. MLSsoccer.com's KICK OFF lists a few names linked to MLS moves.

Diego Chara and Sergio Koke.

The former is a Colombian holding-midfielder (probably don't need one of these, unless we dump Migz) who currently plays for Deportes Tolima, Jorge Perlaza's former club; the latter is a Spanish striker currently with Aris Thessaloniki, El Pescadito's former club.

I think we need depth on defense, regardless of the flexibility of some of our rookies, but ya never know.

15. Zman Gunner

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree that neither of those players seems like a fit for Philly. Chara could be Portland-bound (same team as former Tolima teammate Perlaza) given that team's weak midfield and decent amount of expansion allocation $$ still available. Koke would be more likely a target for the numerous teams (i.e. Seattle, Vancouver, Toronto, Chivas) being mentioned as possibly adding to their forward ranks.

Barring long-term injuries to key players, I would not expect much on the player acquisition front for Philly during the season - perhaps just add some more young depth on the backline (preferably a versatile defender who could play CB as well as RB and/or LB) as you mentioned to go along with the midfield/forward converts back there like the Farfans, Richter and perhaps Okugo.

16. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Seems that Chara is heading to SKC while Koke will be signed as the Dynamo's DP.

17. haplo53

haplo53 Member

Nov 13, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
  18. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. haplo53

haplo53 Member

Nov 13, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union

Lol. :D

20. Billy Zabka

Billy Zabka Member+

May 4, 2006
    RoFo, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So that's two Tolima players that Portland has now snagged.

I thought Diego Gutierrez had dibs on Colombia!

21. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Favorite club? a German one..........
    Apr 14, 2010
    in exile-Statute of Limitations yet to expire
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

any chance the Union could sign a CAM?

*it's the 1 piece they're missing...........any way to get Riquelme's phone # to Diego?

22. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA

This is more of an off-season rumor, but it is interesting nonetheless.

This is from an interview from FutbolMLS.com with Barros Schelotto (translation done by BorrachoNJ).

Did you have options to return to MLS?
    * Chivas USA and the Union contacted me but I would have had to wait until Feb and I had to give my answer to Gimnasia at the beginning of Jan.

23. Zman Gunner

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Philly seemingly did some due diligence about bringing in a veteran playmaker to play in the attacking midfielder/withdrawn striker role given this news about Schelotto as well as pursuit of Marek Mintal (debatable if they were ever after Tressor Moreno who also plays that role).

24. McRob

McRob Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm sure they still are and we'll hear more rumors this summer.

Of course, best case scenario is the mix of players we have now works itself out and starts pumping out goals.

25. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another Cafetero maybe?

Looks like another good (and young, as in 19-20 years old) Colombian may be coming to MLS if they can get him in before the deadline:

Andres Ramiro Escobar (aka 'Manga')

Deportivo Cali (and the rest of the Colombian league) seems to be in pretty bad financial situation right now.

No real solid word on what teams are interested, but Philly is mentioned in at least one of these articles.

http://www.futbolred.com/camerinos/andres-manga-escobar-seria-vendido-a-la-mls/9170442
    (translated)

http://www.elpais.com.co/elpais/deportes/antes-del-viernes-define-negocio-manga-para-mls
    (translated)