In Praise of the Risk Takers

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Dr. Wankler, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Okay, "praise" is the wrong word...Robert Reich in Salon.com:

Capitalism's Real Risk Takers

Mitt Romney is casting the 2012 campaign as “free enterprise on trial” — defining free enterprise as achieving success through “hard work and risking-taking.” Tea Party favorite Sen. Jim DeMint of South Carolina says he’s supporting Romney because “we really need someone who understands how risk, taking risk… is the way we create jobs, create choices, expand freedom.” Chamber of Commerce President Tom Donahue, defending Romney, explains “this economy is about risk. If you don’t take risk, you can’t have success.”

Wait a minute. Who do they think are bearing the risks? Their blather about free enterprise risk-taking has it upside down. The higher you go in the economy, the easier it is to make money without taking any personal financial risk at all. The lower you go, the bigger the risks.

Wall Street has become the center of riskless free enterprise. Bankers risk other peoples’ money. If deals turn bad, they collect their fees in any event. The entire hedge-fund industry is designed to hedge bets so big investors can make money whether the price of assets they bet on rises or falls. And if the worst happens, the biggest bankers and investors now know they’ll be bailed out by taxpayers because they’re too big to fail.

But the worst examples of riskless free enteprise are the CEOs who rake in millions after they screw up royally.​

It's Reich, who I can take in only small doses, but he's pretty much on the money (sorry) here. This should be really easy for the Democrats to hit out of the park over the next few months... except, it isn't, since they're in the same bed as the Republicans on this score.

But as economic risk-taking has declined at the top, it’s been increasing at the middle and below. More than 20 percent of the American workforce is now “contingent” — temporary workers, contractors, independent consultants — with no security at all.

Even full-time workers who have put in decades with a company can now find themselves without a job overnight — with no parachute, no help finding another job, and no health insurance.

Meanwhile the proportion of large and medium-sized companies (200 or more workers) offering full health care coverage continues to drop – from 74 percent in 1980 to under 10 percent today. Twenty-five years ago, two-thirds of large and medium-sized employers also provided health insurance to their retirees. Now, fewer than 15 percent do.

The risk of getting old with no pension is also rising. In 1980, more than 80 percent of large and medium-sized firms gave their workers “defined-benefit” pensions that guaranteed a fixed amount of money every month after they retired. Now it’s down to under 10 percent. Instead, they offer “defined contribution” plans where the risk is on the workers. When the stock market tanks, as it did in 2008, the 401(k) plan tanks along with it. Today, a third of all workers with defined-benefit plans contribute nothing, which means their employers don’t either.

And the risk of losing earnings continues to grow... .​

2. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Risk takers, job creators, yada yada yada. My ex-boss who inherited a company that had 20 people, and in 20 years grew it to a company that had 20 people, is a risk taker and job creator because he is effing rich. So we should lower his tax rates so that he will continue to employ the 20 positions that he inherited, but now he can buy a 3rd home and a 2nd boat.

Dog whistles for people who have trouble outthinking dogs. Don't even bring that junk near me, I ain't that stupid.

3. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Once, I ordered the Fugu. Praise me, Mitt!

4. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love taking risks with other people's money. does that count??
    ~signed
    Wall Street

5. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And yet no one challenges Obama from the left. Its quite amazing.

6. Kobranzilla

Kobranzilla Member

Sep 6, 2001
    NY F'in City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blessed are the Cheese Makers! *

* I'm sure he meant all dairy products

7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2012/01/17/hiring_decisions_are_all_about_sales.html

8. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    But what about Risk makers?

[​IMG]

Hasbro, hail to thee!

9. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Axis and Allies is better :D

10. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had a six pack, and then got in my car and drove!! now that's risk taking!

11. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Dude... let it go.

12. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I don't know anything about the company you're talking about, and you make it sound like it doesn't take much risk to keep it going.

But my experience is that being able to maintain 20 people or less employed very often involves a lot of personal risk for an employer. Of course we try to minimize the risks, but it did involve some legitimate personal risks for me, and also for other small business owners I've known.

13. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could (and will if you accept this challenge) kick your sorry New York ass up and down the board at that game.:p

14. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I call CCCP

15. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I call Japan. Any other takers? How would we do this online?:confused:

And you would take Russia. How free-market to mass buy the cheap unit.

16. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know you meant to say what balls to take the country that has the least advantage and gets the shit kicked out of it in every game. :D

At least you didn't take the USA. Most boring nation in the game.

17. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the big 1940 global version, the US doesn't even get to play for four rounds. I like Japan because I get to wipe out Asia before anybody gets strong enough to fight back.