"In my mind I’m nobody’s reserve..."

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by BenC1357, Jun 29, 2005.

1. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I know that Preki was never about speed, but he's lacking the acceleration that he had even two years ago. On several occasions, he froze a defender, but the defender was able to recover in time to prevent Preki from absolutely clowning him.

Still he did open some things up for us.

2. staubio

staubio New Member

Nov 9, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You live in Overland Park, KS. You don't know the first thing about excitement in Kansas City, I'm guessing, beside shopping at the nearest Sam's Club.

I'm an urban planning hobbiest. I study such things and I know where our population shifts come and go from. What I say is true. You must be of the ubiquitous group that makes no effort and then declares his home "boring" because it is the cool thing to do.

3. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

LOL! Well you were talking about getting flamed on this board by the old timers well your last post just might do that.

BTW where do you sit at for the Wiz games?

4. staubio

staubio New Member

Nov 9, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, I just didn't take well to the response. I've heard far too many responses like that.

I have season tickets in 118. I've been in the Cauldron a couple of times but I really like how much better I can hear stuff on the field and see plays develop without that tricky angle.

5. awparcell

awparcell New Member

Aug 18, 2004
    KC via st. louis
    Great work here, i appreciate a good sense of humor. i have lived in kc proper for 5+ years and know it has plenty to offer. it will be such a shame to see so many of these places suffer when all the non kc owned establishments fill up the coming entertainment district downtown.

6. staubio

staubio New Member

Nov 9, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cordish has committed that more than 30% of the tenants of the new entertainment district downtown will be locally owned and besides that, that is but one district that is mostly aimed at attracting tourism. While I am a bit worried about cannibalization of these unique places we currently have, I'm thinking the new district is mostly going to attract new people from our suburbs and outside our city, generating more attention for the urban core in general. I'm hopeful it is a win-win.

7. SamPierron

SamPierron BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 30, 1998
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh, I think his problem was calling the states around us boring. Seeing as how he's a native Omahan and all.

8. awparcell

awparcell New Member

Aug 18, 2004
    KC via st. louis
    I do see the point you are making, i wouldn't call it a win-win. maybe just a win for kansas city in general. I understand that this will certainly promote visitors and tourism, I just wonder if any of that money will go to the places that have been trying to make a living downtown prior to the "new downtown kc". they have been grinding it out without getting the favorable tax treatment and don't even get so much as a smack on the ass from the city. it will be exciting to see how it unfolds but it be a long while before i take my money from where i have spent it in the past and give it to the new businesses etc.

9. IceKaiser

IceKaiser New Member

May 28, 2003
    training at altitude
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Umm...perhaps this has strayed just a wee bit from the subject? Maybe all you Sim City players can discuss this on a non-soccer board.

10. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I felt that way too, I loved watching the play develop from my season tickets in section 120, then I went to Europe and saw everyone standing at times and cheering, and it had nothing to do with free pizza. I came back, sat one game in my old seats and couldn't take anymore, I haven't sat there since.

11. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ding ding ding! this is what the other 10 players seemed to be playing without for most of the game. i wonder if the team took notice of how the crowd reacted when arnaud took the ball from the crew player and then flipped it back over his head to control it. i think he got fouled right after that and at least half of section 118 stood up and cheered... not because anything remarkable happened, but because they saw the kind of purpose that should be exhibited by every player all the time.

12. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are totally misreading my response to your slam. I think KC, Omaha, Lincoln, Lawrence, etc are far from boring. I simply get tired of people criticizing the midwest saying "there's nothing to do". BS.

13. staubio

staubio New Member

Nov 9, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My bad and I apologize. I agree with you. I'm a Nebraska native myself. I was actually speaking to that very perception that you are bemoaning and citing census and demographic data over personal perception. Those other cities suffer from the same misperceptions that KC does, but KC does attract a plethora of people from those areas and those cities specifically, not to mention a vast part of those states that is pretty desolate. So, I should have said something like "areas people percieve as boring" -- sounds like we're on the same page.

KCSupporter, you are absolutely right about Davy and that play. I don't think anyone was absolutely mystified by the move -- it was his drive and his determination to do everything he could to try to make something work that got my section standing. That actually fired up the crowd more than the magic minutes. That was the first time it felt like the players out there wanted it as bad as we did.

14. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neraskan here too. I was born in Chicago but grew up in Omaha and graduated from UNL many moons ago. Moved to KC in 1993.

15. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Preki anyone?

Topic people, topic.

16. hartley

hartley Member

I find it interesting that the Wizards have hardly been on the front of the sports page in the Star this season -- let alone with a photo.

Then Preki gets some signifcant time and there is a good photo of him getting tackled and lo and behold, the Wizards tie is a big part of the sports front page.

I know that players like Preki and Meola have been the faces of this team. What I don't understand is why haven't other players become the faces and the draw for fans.

Why not Wolff? He's on the Nats squad regularly and quite a catalyst for our offense. Why not Klein? On the Nats once in a while, a good offensive player and lives here. Why not Gutierrez? He's a player with a lot of heart and skill and is a hometowner of sorts. Why not Jewsbury? Missouri born and bred. A fan of other KC sports teams and players.

Honestly, I love to watch all of these players. But why don't any of them become the draw that Preki has been in the past? Is it only the creativity? The cut back that no one can stop? What?

17. wadejackson1

wadejackson1 Member

Mar 11, 2001
    Horse Hockey!
    Preki is now a step and a half slower, and "they" can and DO stop him. You saw it against the Crew (of all teams)!!!!

Just because Preki "wants" to play... is NOT good enough reason to actually have him play.

Put the stud out to pasture. Maybe (but I doubt it) he can "teach" the passion to the young studs.

18. PezJunkie

PezJunkie Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Independence, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meola & Preki have the ego & "swagger" that make them easy to promote. It's not all about performance on the field, but also attitude off the field. Most of the guys that you mentioned seem too quite/reserved to really be a media personality.

Out of our current team, I think Jimmy Conrad is about the only one that really seems to have that kind of personality.

19. wadejackson1

wadejackson1 Member

Mar 11, 2001
    As one of the really old farts (timers)... I get tickled watching/reading this banter. BS is a true microcosism (sp) of the world we live in. I have watched the young cocky guys mature quite nicely over the past 10 years. They are now the ones who are sharing their experiences with the present new/young ones constantly coming on board.

Nobody is born knowing what it takes to be a WIZ fan in K.C. Ya gotta learn it. And, somebody has got to teach it. The current crop of teachers were the learners just a very short time ago.

This is a way cool process to observe. Its almost as cool as watching the action on the field!!!

20. staubio

staubio New Member

Nov 9, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have good insights. There is a place for our city talk over at http://www.kcskyscrapers.com/newforum

Sorry for contributing to the off-topic banter. I really do want to talk about Preki!

21. astern

astern New Member

Nov 17, 2004
    What Preki, Meola, and possibly Conrad have is "charisma!!!" And charisma sells tickets.

22. staubio

staubio New Member

Nov 9, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jimmy has all of the personality, but he doesn't have the on-the-field swagger I think you need. Meola's loud mouth, I'm-your-personal-hero, in-your-face, swear-at-the-defense attitude coupled with his high public profile did wonders, I think. When I'm out on the town, I usually just see Meola t-shirts if I see something Wizard related.

I can't really speak for Preki, but I did notice the "nobody will stand in my way" resolve that has a certain swagger to it. Fans love that. Like it was mentioned, Davy showed a bit of that tenacity and the crowd instantly responded. Our players simply need to decide that they won't be stopped and that energy will translate.

23. BitterSoccerFan

Jun 15, 2005
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully with Preki on the pitch, Jose's long ball distribution will decrease?

24. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alright who put the question mark on the telepromtor? :D

25. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, good to see Preki out there. Also, I lurk on kcskyscrapers, have never posted.