in memoriam NCAA soccer 2020

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by espola, Aug 6, 2020.

1. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    I don't think it is going to happen, and I just realized yesterday that Aug 9 will be the 10th anniversary of dropping my son off at Captain's Camp before his first season at UC Davis.

My wife picked at the scab even more by digging up an old video --

OverseasView repped this.
  2. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    So what am I going to do this Fall without the gauchodan instant RPI updates?

Or the inevitable discussions on the unfairness of RPI in the first place?

Or spirited discussions of the one insane/corrupt at-large selection to the DI bracket (there is always at least one)?

BigRedFootie repped this.
  3. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
  4. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Since this is my whining self-pitying thread already --

Three (3) times I have lined things up to embark on a career in sports journalism (not counting the one time I traveled with the Clarkson Tech cross-country team at their invitation to their meet at Rochester - the story was bland, even with a picture of our best runner finishing well back in the pack (and I edited out here a lot of blubber about the contemporaneous writer Hunter S, Thompson and if only I had known about gonzo journalism at the time!)).

Once I called one of the San Diego minor-league pro soccer teams and arranged to have a press pass waiting in my name at the gate ("What about a parking pass?" "Parking's free for everyone.") but I was sick abed and could not make the game (on reflection, that showed a low level of commitment to my journalistic career).

The next go-around was an invitation to contribute articles about local high school soccer games offered by a retired SD Union-Tribune sports journalist who was to be hired as the only professional of a new online soccer magazine with a southern California viewpoint. He knew me only from reading things I had written about HS games in a local soccer forum and he liked my ombination fo cynical/ sarcastic humor fitted around the stats every mother wanted to read about her kid, so he promised to pay me with a byline and $20 or so per article. Alas, it was not to be - the lady who had declared herself "Publisher" found out there was not enough money in that niche of sports journalism to actually hire employees, so she withdrew her offer to him and my opportunity disappeared with his. Her online mag still exists, mostly filled with lightly-edited press releases from the local clubs who are big enough to issue press releases.

Now this year - following up on some criticism that I emailed to College Soccer News on the robotic nature of some of their game reports, they offered to publish on their website game reports I would write up, selecting games to watch in person or online more or less at random. Compensation was not discussed, but I figured I might finally find a more serious outlet and there might even be some opening leverage for me ("Howyadoin coach - I'm espola from College Soccer News and I wonder if I might ask you about (this season/that game/your hottest player/next year's recruits - pick one)"). But now that is not to be either.

Now, I believe I will have a beer (I like the Budweiser 16-oz aluminum bottles because I can pour half in a frozen mug and reseal the bottle to enjoy the rest later) with (not for) my lunch.