In Honesty MLS is getting boring

Discussion in 'F.C. New York' started by austinwetherby, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

Inter Miami CF, Junior de Barranquilla
    United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

(MIAMI): EXCUSE ME!! IM YOUR DADDY!!
    (NEW YORK): iM SORRY PAPI
    (MIAMI): TENGA PRAKA PRAKA!!

MIAMI OWN NEW YORK IN: FOOTBALL DOLPHINS KILL JETS, BASKETBALL HEAT KNOCK OUT KNICKS, BASEBALL MARLINS BEAT YANLEES WS2003 AND YESTERDAY WON SERIES IN NEW YORK AGAINST THE METS, NOT INCLUDING KICKED YOU OUT OF THE PLAY-OFFS TWICE!! MIAMI IS YOUR FATHER, RESPETA!!!

AND IN 2010 YOU ARE GOING TO BE SO OWNED MIAMI FC WILL OWN NYFC!!! JAJAJAJAJAJAJA

2. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Primero tienen que venir a NYC y enfrentarse con los pibes del parque, luego hablar! ;)

3. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    I prefer tomatoes and grapefruit.

4. soccermilitant

soccermilitant Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    St.paul
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    im sick of this pointless league bickering. The 1st ASL died because of this similar bickering. There both good leagues and if you a true American soccer fan ou would support both.

5. NF-FC

NF-FC Member

Nov 28, 2006
    Niagara Falls
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Will Miami still have a team next year?

6. keem-o-sabi

keem-o-sabi Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    soccermilitant, is correct. If you like the game you appreciate both. You know that USL1 is not on par with MLS. I'm not trying to stir the pot, but the Canada Cup games have proved this. TFC is an average club in MLS and (although the scores haven't reflected the matches against two of the premier USL1 sides), the overall team play was much better from TFC than it was for either the whitecaps or Impact. If Chad Barrett could score more than 1 every 15 chances the Caps would have been beaten about 5-nil just by himself scoring (didn't include the tons of class everyone showed). Last evening same thing, Barrett should have had a hattrick and a couple other's should have put the ball in the net.

Anyway, I do enjoy going to see USL1 matches. I used to own an amateur team in the NPSL, as some of you know. I love the game and really hope we can find a way to have some sort of level of soccer in every town in this country. I think that may be the way we finally get it going a little more here. Especially lower levels during the summer, as the Euro-snobs, will look for some sort of soccer (even though it may be beneath them).

7. astar24

astar24 New Member

Jun 27, 2002
    As a fan that has watched many MLS & USL-1 games live and on Tv, I must say the leagues on the field are almost even I would give the slight edge to MLS sides who have players that are a class above USL and wouldnt ever play in that league(Blanco,McBride,Huckerby,many of the USMNT players). As far as results head-to-head, I'd say USL sides did well in the

Concacaf Champions League and deserve respect for that. While MLS obviously dominated the Open Cup. On the field, there's not much of a difference to be honest and watching games in both leagues it is evident.
    If MLS wants to claim and prove they are significantly better than USL-1 on the pitch they need to start putting out 1st team players when playing USL sides and getting consistent results. Claiming reserves were used against USL sides doesnt cut it. There's no doubt some MLS sides are scared of getting embarassed by USL sides and thats why they play reserve lineups. As of right now on the pitch its pretty much even, top USL sides can compete in MLS but weaker ones would get destroyed.

As far as a the business goes, MLS is clearly superior to USL-1, no question about it. MLS has more money, exposure to top European leagues, better tv contracts, world recognition(off the field), and eventually over time will become the dominant first division league in the American Soccer pyramid. USL fans must get used to this.

8. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

Inter Miami CF, Junior de Barranquilla
    United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I say they both Unite somehow and let thier be Pro/Rel. With out it in the USSF, its not that exciting. I watch both and it is safe to say they are both equal in some cases. We'll see how they do in U.S. Open cup. dale Miami FC

9. austinwetherby

austinwetherby New Member

Dec 22, 2007
    New York City
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    im gonna throw it out there and say most all USL TEAMS are building there own stadiums preparing for that day when it does happen

10. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I was watching the Timbers v Rhinos last night. The quality of play is quite good and very entertaining. Can't wait for FCNY.

11. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a very fun match. Of course supporting the winning side always helps, but it was pretty good. One of the better matches I've seen the Timbers play since 2007.

12. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If all the games in USL are similar to this, at least in attitude, then I would say that MLS has nothing on USL. MLS just has more marketing muscle, that's all.

13. cooky

cooky New Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    i dont no much about the usl,but i would love to come over to the us and play soccer.does anyone no how i should go about this,im from the uk and have played at a professional level since i was 17,im now 26 but have played in the english premier league and represented england up to u20s.

14. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    check your PM.

15. NYsoccer11

NYsoccer11 New Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Who here thinks that F.C New York will have a better record then the New York Red Bulls I think so since there doing horrible this year and why are they even called the NEW YORK redbulls their more like the New Jersey Red Bulls.

16. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are an idiot. I will repeat this later in the post, but I felt it important to begin with.

You do realize that in 2010 (and 2011, and maybe forever) that F.C. New York and New York Red Bulls WON'T BE IN THE SAME LEAGUE. Thus, comparing their record is stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

Secondly, New York Red Bulls are named after New York CITY. No, they don't play within NYC's actual borders, but many teams in this country don't actually play in the city they're named after (see Philadelphia, Dallas, Chicago, Los Angeles, Salt Lake, as well as teams in other leagues in this country). Yes, unlike those places (though like Kansas City) there's a state border in between. So freaking what.

Again, you are an idiot.

17. NYsoccer11

NYsoccer11 New Member

Jul 14, 2009

First of all you need to CHILL OUT and relax and second of all thats dumb for the teams that don't play in the actually city to have those names but w/e they can do what they want what I am saying is that New York Red Bulls did so great last year but are horrible this year for some reason I hope that F.C New York does well and they are also actually LOCATED near me.

18. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, so most of MLS is dumb. And the Detroit Pistons are dumb too. And especially the Dallas Cowboys, what a joke of a franchise.

By your definition, Chelsea FC are a joke, since they don't play in Chelsea (they play in Fulham, a different borough) and never have.

And the Red Bulls did not do great last year. They barely made it into the playoffs, and lucked their way into the Final. So it's not surprising they're not doing so great this year (though maybe the magnitude of their suckitude is).

And where can you live that FCNY is close but RBNY isn't?

19. NYsoccer11

NYsoccer11 New Member

Jul 14, 2009
    The teams can do whatever they want all I am saying is that if I was an owner I would have my team play in the city or state my team is in, and thats your opinion of the redbulls it's not mine.

20. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

A poignant, yet powerful display of the English language. :rolleyes:

21. KingsCountyFC

KingsCountyFC Member

Nov 6, 2007
    BK - NY / Louisiana
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    umm....long island.....:D

22. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    MasterShake apparently hasn't Mastered the obvious!

23. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back to the thread topic; I really wanna get into MLS more, I do, but there are a couple of things holding me back from buying into any extra channels from my suck-a$$ cable company, first- the ref'ing of the games that I have watched drives me up the wall with it's inconsistancy and lackadaisical approach, either call the game tight or let the guys play, no in between, second- some of the games that I have watched when they've been on ESPN2 have been horrible, sloppy play combined with the ref'ing (see first point) made it pretty damn close to unwatchable, it was like watching two flies fornicate on the wall. The game that I did see was K.C/NYRB and I've seen high school games with better touches and shots on goal, third- they need to make the playoffs more of an event and put the championship game on at night when people are sitting in front of the t.v. I'm not gonna devote a fall Sunday afternoon to sitting in front of the boob-tube, ain't gonna happen.

I'm sure these are all points which MLS regular viewers are well aware, but I'm not a regular viewer and you asked, so there you go.

On a side note, I think the Seattle expansion has been great for the MLS and I think the Philly franchise will add the same excitement to the league and I'm in the Philly area so a local team has me pretty stoked.

24. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    You're not very good at business or marketing, are you?

25. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Red Bull New York being quoted as "very good" business and marketing?

I need a drink fast.