In Honesty MLS is getting boring

Discussion in 'F.C. New York' started by austinwetherby, Apr 9, 2009.

1. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That it's important enough for you to list the IMPACT (a USL team) as your most prominent foe.

2. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Fixed

3. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A team that they play twice a year (the same amount they play most every MLS team) in the Canadian qualifying tournament for the Champions League.

4. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Hey guys, I want to introduce you to MASTERSHAKE, he's obsessed with the BB. The man instead of worrying about his Red Bulls spends his time on BS worrying about the BB and now FCNY.

Welcome MASTERSHAKE, may you continue providing us with all sorts of entertainment and joy.

5. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    couldn't agree more.

6. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I personally like both.

7. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You've got to be kidding,right?
    Have you watched any DC United,Chicago Fire,Seattle Sounders or Toronto
    FC games?

8. Erik S

Erik S Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With all due respect, DC United sucks

9. austinwetherby

austinwetherby New Member

Dec 22, 2007
    New York City
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    please stop coming in here and bitching and yelling at other people

10. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Indeed. I've never understood the need to try to tear something down to make someone feel better. Must be jealousy.

Go RailHawks!

11. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Indeed. But they do suck at a higher level than the Battery suck at. ;)

12. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please watch the troll-like comments. Deletes will commence post-haste. Thank you. ;)

13. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I follow all levels of football in the US, PDL and above... I love how USL is structured. It's great and I consider it my favorite league because it's got heart and charm. As for MLS, I can't stand how it is structured, but as a business, MLS is far superior to USL. It's hard to count the number of USL-1 clubs who have gone under in the last 14 years since MLS started... For MLS it's only been 2. If I'm going to have a club (which I do) I'm going to want them in MLS simply because the likelyhood of them sticking around is much much greater.

RIP:
    Atlanta Silverbacks (pending)
    Atlanta Ruckus
    Calgary Mustangs/Storm
    California Victory
    Colorado Foxes (not the same club as Real Colorado Foxes of PDL)
    Boston Bulldogs
    California Jaguars
    Cincinatti Riverhawks
    Connecticut Wolves
    Edmonton Aviators
    Hershey Wildcats
    Indiana Blast
    Jacksonville/Tampa Bay Cyclones
    Lehigh Valley Steam
    Maryland Mania
    Milwaukie Wave United
    Milwaukie Rampage
    New Orleans Storm
    New York Fever
    Orlando Sundogs
    Raleigh Express/Flyers
    Sacramento/Albuquerque Geckos
    San Diego Flash
    San Francisco Bay Seals (Oh, so close still being around)
    Staten Island Vipers
    Syracuse Salty Dogs
    Virginia Beach/Hampton Roads Mariners

and that's just former USL-1 clubs that have folded (or gone inactive in Atlanta's case) since 1996.

14. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA

There are a boatload of those clubs who never should have been there in the first place. It's not so much the fault of the league, as it is those who got in who were woefully undercapitalized, or had money and didn't know how to spend it wisely. Others had stadium issues, and no Plan B. And others simply had no clue (yeah, the league could have been more selective, but you know... :rolleyes:)

15. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's my point. A good business plan would have never allowed for many of those clubs to exist. Some have been very successful (Montreal, Vancouver, Rochester (last year was scary though), Portland, Charleston), but the ratio of success to failure frightens me. Hopefully with the raised fee for expansion it'll weed out people not willing to invest in making their club a success.

16. Sandlapper

Sandlapper New Member

Jan 30, 2007
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS reminds me off the bailout and it makes me furious. :mad:

If USL had relagation I would clear any memory of MLS from my mind because at that time it would become a NORMAL football league. :cool:

MLS sucks

17. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Says the guy who supports the Seattle Sounders. :rolleyes:

Go RailHawks!

18. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love both leagues. I do think MLS was doomed with horrendous names, atrocious market placement, and a non-competitive structure early on in their history. They still have some of those features, but they are improving. I am relatively new to USL and have enjoyed the community-based, people's-level feel to it. That's what makes the sport so good in the world. We can't simply assume a club has that history (i.e. that community feel). It needs to develop it within the area.

19. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? Explain.

20. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But USL 2009 is far superior product than the old days. The USL is looking after it's fans and the single-table structure helps, as well as the possibility of USL-1 and USL-2 having pro/reg. MLS will not look into the future because they are scared of changing. USL will slowly change and it will be embraced more and of course it will have more coverage, just think about the possibility of pro/reg and sports media will go after the story.

21. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, but it still isn't as strong of a business as MLS. Look, I LOVE USL. Nobody will doubt that, but every year we fear for the contraction of one or more clubs. After this year it could be Miami just like it was last year and surprise, we lack Atlanta this year. It's a game we play. The year before? California and Virginia Beach (yikes). I wish it were more stable, but it isn't. I think they are moving in the right direction no question, but I still have that fear.

22. Wile Coyote

Wile Coyote Red Card

Sep 21, 2000
    Punta del Este, Uru.
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    In no way is USL better than MLS some USL teams are on par with MLS but the majoritry fall flat... also its not a better buisness model if it was some of these teams would be doing way better than 2,000 souls per game... some of the USL teams are 1st class and get the crowds but the rest.........minor league all the way.....

usl is what it is and will always be what it is.... no way they have the capital to give MLS a run for their money.... no way are possible known players going to play for a 2nd divioson side Romario in garbage Miami was a fluke at best if not a personal favor to those brasilian pals that brought him over......

I accept what USL is and hope to do my part to make it the next seattle or rochester in their hey day (dont know how they are doing now a days) or the next montreal....I look foward to supporting FCNY and LA B but in no way am i so blind as to think that FC NY will be bringing here top world class stars..... I take it for what it is and plan to enjoy it...

23. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

we will see who dominates US Open Cup this year

24. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I gotta get this off my chest. I am going to miss USL-1. I love it, it's my favorite league in the world and while getting MLS in Portland is great, it's bitter sweet for me. There is so much about the league that I love, I love the fans (especially now that Seattle is in MLS), I love the teams, I love the history, I love the fact that the league takes the Open Cup seriously and performs well. I love the International nature of the league which makes it unique (USL to Domincan Republic!) I love the stadiums, I love the league structure, I love USL-2, I love PDL, I love being able to watch every match for free on USLlive.com. Hell, I love the W-League (wish we had a W-League club here). I love not having to worry that our club drew 5,000 to a game or worry that another club drew 3,000. I love the community that smaller clubs create and most of all I love that it isn't trying to be something it isn't.

25. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and I love that it has a single-table and hopefully a pro/reg system with USL-2