In David We Trust - the de Gea Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Numquam Moribimur, May 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    All i can say is, the financial ramifications of letting DDG is something that will probably be considered. Whether bug transfer fee or wages off the books.

Ill wait until the end of this campaign before i fully question DDG.

2. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    I'm not a fan of those stats - there's nobody who watches those videos of Henderson and says he's only made one error resulting in a goal. There's some arbitrary line between a bad attempt at a save and an error, which nobody in the game would really accept.

De Gea made 3 'errors' in his 2017/18 season too, but had probably the best season any keeper has had in the PL, ever.

(Again, I don't know what 'errors' are. Just as some of these other stats are bollocks without a clear definition.)

Shortly after I posted that comment, I saw this pop up. I don't know if I agree with the conclusion - though I do wish we'd loaned him to a team that built up from the back - but it's basically echoing the same sentiment. We aren't going to be able to sell De Gea to anyone, there just isn't a market. So we either keep Henderson on loan for one more year or we have the two compete for minutes. But there should be no illusion that a problem will have been definitively solved.
    https://thebusbybabe.sbnation.com/2...-to-replace-david-de-gea-at-manchester-united

3. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    So even if you argue what constitutes an "error leading to a goal", are you also disputing that DDG has been at the top of goalkeepers in the PL in terms of errors the past two seasons?

4. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    I'm saying that stat is bollocks and I don't know what the actual numbers should be. I know full well that De Gea has been culpable for a lot of important goals. Some of those aren't showing up in this stat either. And, he made just as many of these 'errors' in THE best season a keeper has ever had in the PL. So it's hard to know what the stat is good for.

I'll say it again in case anybody's getting my stance twisted. We need to decide whether De Gea is a spent force or not, and we need to decide whether we delay one more year on Henderson or not. I've argued for and against because I don't know what the right answer is yet. But some people, here or elsewhere, make out that it's clear cut. It really isn't.

MizzouMUFC repped this.
  5. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm in the same boat. I don't know what the right move is. I don't want to lose Henderson because I've seen what a multi-year goalie search looks like and it's ugly. I would like a smooth transition from DDG to Henderson, but when that happens I don't know. But I don't think Henderson will be ok playing a bit part with us for a year. Next season needs to be either loan Henderson or sell/loan DDG.

Naboomagnoli repped this.
  6. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Loan DDG? Interesting concept, but I can't see that ever happening. Unless maybe it is to a place in Spain he'd like to go.

7. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    With an obligation to buy I'm guessing.

Grabbed this from the Statman Dave vid about this question - thought it was interesting.

Screenshot_20200624_141619_com.google.android.youtube.jpg

8. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1833 Ashur, Jun 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2020

As previously mentioned, this is definitely not a straightforward or easy question to answer. And the nature of Dave's contract alone complicates things even further.
    Need to see how Dave performs the remainder of the season for starters and we can take it from there. If she steadies himself and shows signs that he can get back to his best, then let Henderson remain out on loan for another season. On the other hand, if Dave's game is still trending downwards (and he keeps costing the team points), then Henderson should be brought back, if for no other reason to provide a genuine challenge to Dave (or an outright replacement, if necessary).
    The former is still the preferred option by far but it's all on Dave and how he performs the rest of this campaign.

9. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yep, I could see a loan to buy with PSG being on the table.

10. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He's done right? He let in 4 today, even if only 2 counted. He didn't look close.

11. Red Jeph

Red Jeph Member+

Aug 26, 2006
    Chicago
    We can’t hold goals that didn’t count against him, and one was a penalty. Yeah, he could have done better on the first goal but Stanislas put in a tiny window. It wasn’t a big error.

12. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    I don't think anyone can honestly say that the Stanislas goal was worse than Hendo conceding the Ceballos winner last weekend.

Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 repped this.
  13. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Dean Henderson has a significantly higher save % than DDG. He may have also made mistakes, but he's kept far more out of the net that Dave. Dave cannot continue at United in the way he's going right now. He needs a sabatical or a change of scenery. Maybe he gets back to his best, but we can't persist with him.

It is inexcusable to get beaten near post from such an acute angle. Then he got beaten at the nearpost AGAIN in the same match. That cannot happen. It absolutely cannot happen. He's lost all touch of the basics.

MizzouMUFC and benni... repped this.
  14. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I forgot to add that any comparison of DDG and Dean that shows parity or favors Dean (ie most of them) means that we have to go with Dean who is 6 years younger and has a great deal more improvement in him.

15. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I dont care who the goalie is...you should never get beat near post like that unless the player roofs it. That's 100% down to bad positioning.

16. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Which are you talking about? De Gea or Hendo?

You're right on both counts. De Gea managed to make himself smaller by dropping his right arm so low. Henderson managed to run out of his goal for no reason and end up getting easily beaten at the near post, by moving too far to the right.

I worry that the reasons for De Gea's poor keeping will transition across to Hendo if he comes in. If it's down to coaching then we won't be fixing the problem.

17. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    upload_2020-7-6_10-31-21.png
    We can all agree that it was a bad goal for Dave to concede (Maguire certainly did not cover himself in glory either tbh). And yes, the stats do favor Henderson.
    But it's not out of bounds to wonder how his performances at Sheffield will transpose into the United pressure cooker. That is one of those intangibles that can easily go one way or another.
    Dave, as previously stated, is a very difficult player to move: imagine that would be all but impossible this summer in the current market. Best case scenario for me still has Hendo staying put at Sheffield, where he can get himself another year of experience (and clear cut starting football) in top flight football. Dave gets another season at United, where hopefully he can be solid enough, where clubs (like PSG for instance, with Navas's contract due to expire by then) could be interested in grabbing him.
    The only scenario I'd want Henderson to come back at the club for next season, is if Dave proves to be a complete liability during the remainder of this season. And I don't think we're there yet, even if he's making more mistakes we'd like to see from him. We've got time on our side with Henderson: don't see the good in rushing him at United unless there is absolutely no other choice.

18. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Both. No excuse for getting beat near post at an acute angle. Its usually a case of cheating towards the middle in anticipation of a cross or in DDGs case just poor form. There's a reason why you dont see other goalkeepers doing his drop to one knee technique for close shots. Its because its not something goalkeeping coaches teach because its not as effective as staying on your feet, getting low, and trying to be as big as possible and low as possible. He got beat near post because he dropped to one knee towards the center of the goal and left a big gap. Its just bad technique that hes gotten away with over the years.

Amdrag repped this.
  19. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1844 Ashur, Jul 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    [​IMG]
    Here's to a good performance from Dave today vs Villa.

20. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    DDG looking shaky so far. His fundamentals are all out the window. When he just came he was gettign beat by low shots from distance that weren't very powerful and he's looking vulnerable to those again. His balance and footwork is all gone.

I know better now, but initially I just knew you couldn't be a good goalkeeper and struggle against those shots. Maybe it is a confidence thing or some other mental thing, but he's absolutely not with it. I don't know if he needs a pyschologist or a coach, but there are troubling signs ahead.

21. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    He's now passed(400) Schemichel(398) in appearances.

23. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    tied him for clean sheets too i think

24. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's impressive considering the revolving door of underwhelming defenders that have made up our backline the last several years.

25. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He has to go. He's done.