In a pickle; my pregnant wife is due June 14th or Italy USA June 17th?

Discussion in 'USA Men: World Cup Fans & Travel' started by taylor, Apr 10, 2006.

1. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hi everyone,

Well after I applied for the tickets, I realized my pregnant wife is due with our first child on June 14th.

After researching the variance of child birth due dates, it seems there is a skew towards being late, so my idea it to attend the Czech and Ghana games and hope for the birth in between (I have conditional tickets all the way to the Final.)

I have two questions;

1) Am I an absolute idiot? I live in Jena and to attend the Czech game means it would be putting 5 hours in between the time she were to call and the time I could return from Gelsenkirchen to the Jena hospital (and two days before the expected due date.)

The Ghana game (22nd) is only two and a half hours away and so I feel quite confident that I could return in time.

2) The expected date and the US-Italy game are very very close with Italy being two days after the expected date. This is also another 5 hour difference.

Should I sell the ticket to a BS person (preferably who posted on the orgininal US soccer fax thread) or do I risk another 5 hour trip? If I do sell the Italy cat I ticket, I would only sell it to BS members with a confirm number and with a preference to a person who posted on the Fax thread (I don't know how I would do the bidding, though.) Or do I keep the ticket in the event that the child is born early and I then can go to the Italy game????

I would really appreciate any objective advice.
    Thanks,
    Taylor

2. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    difficult question.

I think the only person who can answer this question is you yourself.

You need to take this decision. We can give you advices, however, only you can make the final decision.

How important is world cup and how important is the birth of your child? You need to set priority.

In our life we always need to take some difficult decisions too.

As a woman, I would say you should stay with your wife and help her. She will need you.

It is tought decision.

I´m sorry I could not help you.

bltleo
    Cologne

3. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I forgot to mention that she is a tough East German. ;)

4. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its a purely personal question and one that only you can answer for yourself. That said, the fact that your wife is so understanding that she is even willing to consider allowing you to be more than 30 minutes away from her at any point during that period is very impressive.

For me, experiencing the birth or my first child is a memory that I would never, ever want to miss and two days seems to be cutting it awfully close. Certainly, I will be flying over to Germany alone and leaving my two young children with my wife but I don't think I'd be willing to risk it if I were in your shoes -- that 5 and 1/2 hours can go awfully fast if she has a quick labor.

You could always watch the Czech match on TV and then go live to the Ghana match after your child is born. Regardless of your decision, congratulations on the impending birth and good wishes for a healthy, beautiful child. Good luck with your decision.

5. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on the nature of your dilemma, I'm not sure Bigsoccer is best place to come to for advice. ;)

That said, my advice would be to stay home and watch on TV.

6. nowherenova

nowherenova Member+

Jul 20, 2003
    Formerly Terminus
    Congrats in advance Taylor! I would hold on to that ticket and have them induce labor on wed the 14th (wink).

That's how the rich preggos do it here in Atlanta- have your birth scheduled!

But seriously, as one of your fellow "black monday" compatriots let me know if you decide not to go. I only got Czechia and Ghana tix. If not we'll see you there!

7. Clinton AFC

Clinton AFC New Member

Aug 14, 2004
    Clinton
    I think the US actually winning the World Cup is the closest feeling I would ever have that compares to being present at the birth of my three children. Seriously.

For a myriad of reasons (and I'm not some overly sentimental 'girly man'), you really would be a better person for staying with your wife. That's not me being judgemental either. It's none of my business but you asked so in the long run, I say stay home.

8. Ultra Peanut

Ultra Peanut New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Achewood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. You probably should've thought of this back in August. ;) Hey, wait a minute, wouldn't this put approximate conception date about...oh...the US/Mexico WCQ?

2. Speaking as a chick who's a more involved fan than her husband: seriously, dude, stay home with your wife. There will be other games, even other WC games against heavy duty opponents. Stick around the hospital and read up on things to do with a 4 year old in South Africa.

9. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, somebody has got to be on the pro-football side; might as well be me.

First, the odds are fairly low that she'll actually have the child during the game. Remember that the due date is the statistical median at 40 weeks. Most mothers deliver in a 2 week period around that. First births are normally later. Second, the normal labor is greater than 12 hours from inception of contractions until actual delivery. Again, this is normally longer on the first birth.

I'd plan to go and go ahead with the trip unless she's in labor at the time. If your future son/daughter has any sense of decorum s/he will wait. :) Just have a contigency plan to get back in a hurry if need be.

"Liebchen, unser Kind kommt!"
    "How far apart are the contractions?"
    "12 minuten."
    "Okay, there's only 30 minutes left in the game, I'll be back by the time you're fully dialated..."

10. Aalborg

Aalborg New Member

May 2, 2002
    Dude

Take her with you .Just have her give birth at the game(preferably at halftime)that way you won't miss one bit of the action!

Just kidding man :D

Stay home and bond with your child...

11. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    But see, I think I am not making myself clear.

To me, I would be five/six hours aways for a 3 hour period for two games. That is it. So out of the ~23 day window of expectancy, I would be gone from that window for around 6 hours. That is out of ((6 travelhours)/(23x24 total expected hours))=.011%, I would be 5-6 hours away for my travel window.

All the other time I would not be away, or at least less than 5 hours away. Do y'all understand what I am getting at?

In terms of bringing her along, I thought about that too, but she throws up the whole time if we travel for over 20 minutes.

Plus I am affraid that if I only go to the Ghana game, I may jinx us....
    btw, conception happend (intentionally) at the Oktoberfest. I thought the WC was going to be from May 15th to June 15th, at the time....

12. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    I've been to 3 World Cups and have 2 kids. The World Cups were great, but the kids are 1 zillion times better. Missing the birth of my child, at least for me, would be devastating, and not worth any risk no matter how small. I'm bringing my kids to Germany so it's the best of both worlds this time.

I'd suggest staying home and plan on bringing your 4 year old to S.Africa in 2012 for a great experience. If that doesn't work out, your baby will hopfully live for another 20 World Cups.

13. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Does anyone know what the average delivery time is for a first time mother with standard deviations?

14. Ultra Peanut

Ultra Peanut New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Achewood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AHA! Now here is something with which I have tons of experience. Y'ever see the Simpsons episode where Krusty has the telethon for the kids who're chronically motion sick? That's me! I've gotten carsick from walking. Normally, 25 mg of meclizine HCl per day does the trick, but with a bun in the oven, you've gotta be careful about any kind of meds. So may I suggest ginger? There's a really swell kind of ginger candy called Ginger Chews, they're super strong and good for keeping things down, as it were. If she likes 'em, there might be hope for you yet.

15. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    Memo to self:

Wear rubber 08/1/2009 - 10/31/2009.

16. Etienne_72772

Etienne_72772 Member+

Oct 14, 1999
    Incidentally, the Mythbusters, a really geeky tv show here in the states (which I love) tested the myth of curing motion sickness with various home remedies, and in their very unscientific method (ontly two people tested), ginger was the only thing that prevented motion sickness in the two individuals. Everything else didn't work at all for either individual, and one (a placebo, in fact) worked on one of the test subject, but not the other.

17. primusux

primusux Member

Mar 17, 2005
    USA

lmao...nice.

18. jorge805

jorge805 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    Vegas
    What a loaded question.

Well, how many more kids are you planning to have?

The U.S. may only play Italy in the WC once in your lifetime, but you can have a lot of kids. Sure your wife may never forgive you for it, but... :)

I hope she knows how torn you are about this and how much you love soccer.... It'll sure make a great story for junior when you take him to the WC in 2018.

19. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here $0.02 from the proud father of two little whippersnappers.

Keep the ticket. You can most likely go to both matches. Make sure your wife stays fairly active as you approach the due date. If so, I'd be willing to wager that she'll have the little one around the 14th or 15th. Believe me, you'll need some time to yourself considering what you have coming to you. ;)

Assuming the baby arrives before the matches, the important thing is to make sure your wife has some help. If she has to have an episiotomy, she's going to be a little sore.

But what if the baby doesn't arrive by then? By all means, don't miss the birth. It's an incredible experience. But I wouldn't let a five hour return trip bother you. My wife was in labor for about 14 hours with our first one. (The second didn't take as long.) An epidural will slow down the process, too. You'd probably beat the doctor to the hospital. They're notorious for waltzing in at the last second, catching the baby as he pops out, and sending you a bill.

20. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An Eastie. :) The games are in decent-sized cities, probably with multiple hospitals. Maybe she could go along and stay in the hotel if she's not feeling well, and you could be on constant alert, with a plan for quick response and transport in each venue city. Pay for the hotels closest to the stadiums, etc. With a lot of planning you probably can meet both obligations.

21. dkrboys

dkrboys New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Simi Valley, CA
    I just thought how funny this must look to an "outsider" reading this thread for the first time, wondering how anybody could even think this is a pickle. For those crazy fans like ourselves, it's just too hard for somebody else to understand.

I'm just wondering how you'll fit "Fifa" into your new babies name.......Isabel Fifa......., Michael Fifa.........good luck on that one!

I'm sure this will all work itself out, with your new baby taking priority, of course....your precious child will be born, you'll make it to your game & you'll be laughing in a few months, wondering how you could've even considered this would be a problem!

22. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    1. Which week will your wife be in at game time?

2. According to my wife who is pregnant and works in public health, first time mothers tend to skew toward 40 weeks, with the delivery process lasting less than 8 hours (sorry, no SD) from the time of the water breaking.

3. If I were you, unless you're wife's in week 34 or so, I'd stay home.

Sachin

23. mette72

mette72 Member

Sep 29, 2000
    Free America
    I can't even believe that this is even a question! Sure, you might miss some soccer games and your wife won't even give birth, but after all they are just games. How bad would you feel if you went to the games and missed the official birthday? FOR A SPORTING EVENT!!!! COME ON!!!

I guess people have different priorities in life, I don't know. I have a daughter, and you can have all the World Cups when it comes to missing her popping into the world. Next time, plan better. My friend got his wife pregnant, and she just delivered. And it was planned. Good for him.

By the way, we will be having beers together in Germany this year watching the US beat up on the Czechs and upsetting the Italians.

Good luck....

24. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think anyone here is making the case that a soccer match is more important than your child's birth. That would be absurd. This thread is about logistics. That's all. It might not be possible to attend the match given the timing, but it's a situation worth discussing.

Look, many of us know from experience that if (1) the birth comes early enough, (2) both are healthy, and (3) the mother and baby are settled and comfortable at home, then Taylor should have no trouble taking a day to attend the Italy match. I took a week or so off from work after my kids were born to help around the house, but there was a day or two there that I could have run out the door without any problems. It depends a lot on the wife.

25. nowherenova

nowherenova Member+

Jul 20, 2003
    Formerly Terminus

Did they try weed? It has excellent anti-nausea properties I've read.