Improvements to the Gold Cup

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by DoyleG, Oct 5, 2002.

1. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    This was a good debate and it should continue.

FIRE AWAY!!

2. pugetsoundmls

pugetsoundmls New Member

Oct 6, 2000
    Seattle
    I'll bite on this 'cause people have had some good ideas in the past. Make it quadrennially with FC teams only with rotating host nations. I'm partial to those who want it to be 12 or 16 teams, but I say make it 8 teams for the short term, so it's an accomplishment for those who make it. With those 8 teams, I'd divide into two groups of 4, then advance the top two from each group into cross-group semifinals, then the final. The tourney could be completed in 3 weeks.

I'd change the qualifying process to make everyone take part. To make it simple, I'd go with 8 groups of 3 teams, with the winner of each group advancing to the Gold Cup. Groups of 3 instead of 4 because there is barely enough competition for groups of 3, and it keeps needless qualifying games to a minimum. The 4 qualifiers that a nation would play could be spread over about 16 months if really necessary. So seed the top sixteen teams in the region (ie. #1,#16 in group A, #2,#15 in group B), then have the last 16-20 teams in the region playoff to determine the final 8 teams to be added to the qualifying.

No doubt there will still be some mismatches in qualifying, but the likes of the U.S., Mexico, etc. could send their B teams if they believed they could get away with it. Also, it gives some of the mid table nations of the region another shot at the top teams, which might ultimately lead to a stronger confederation. If the minnows can't afford the travelling or have inadequate fields, then make them ineligible.

3. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    The main thing is that it keeps being played. We should do whatever is neccesary to keep it economically feasible.

4. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    16 teams, no guests unless it's one of the top 10 teams in the world and they're bringing their A team. No need to change qualifying, just have more teams qualify from each zone.

Increasing the number of teams will improve the level of play across the confederation, and will also result in a better-organized tournament IMO.

5. Captain Canuck

Captain Canuck New Member

May 13, 2002
    The only change I would make right now is to get rid of the guest teams & make it Concacaf-only. I would keep it at 12 teams for the moment & if the tournament is a success with 12 Concacaf teams in it for the first time (& there aren't any ridiculous large-margin of error results) increase it to 16 for the next Gold Cup.

6. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I think they should rotate the host at least. Canada should host it at least once to see if they can maybe host a World Cup someday.

7. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    I would expand the Cup to 16 teams so that each group has 4 teams with the top two qualifying to the next round.. Also i would keep the invitation to South American teams because they also invite TFC teams to the Copa America.

To make sure that most teams bring their best possible squads the prize money should be better and maybe awards for the best striker, Keeper ect..

[​IMG]

8. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    I would like to see the tournament held in different countries. It's all fine and dandy that they make more money in the US, but it's an unfair advantage for the US(and Mexico). The tournament should be about playing games, not about making money. By that I mean, it's ok to make money, just make sure that different countries get to host. I bet if it was held in Mexico, crowds would be pretty good.

9. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    The thing I can't stand the most about the Gold Cup is the 4 groups of 3 format. If you're going to do a 12 team tournament, do what CONMEBOL does and make it 3 groups of 4 with the 2 best third place finishers moving on. A lot of the excitement of the tournament is taken away by this 3 groups of 4 nonsense.

As for lots showing up if the tournament was held in Mexico, yeah they'd probably show up for games involving Mexico, but otherwise most games wouldn't be very well attended. The US is so ethnically diverse and its the only neutral country where games like El Salvador vs. Jamaica might get a respectable crowd.

10. bert patenaude

Apr 16, 2001
    White Plains, NY
    Get a real TV contract so soccer fans can watch the tournament!

11. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm seeing a lot of suggestions on this site.

I agree with the need to getrid of the guest teams. This is a tournament for CONCACAF only. Would you want to handle the humiliation if one of these guest teams won the tournament? This is our regional championship and it should remain that way.

Many state that hosting the torunament in the US is good for the competiton. The ethnic diversity of the US hasn't helped the tournament at all. Takinga look at what happened in 2000 should make that point clear.

A million bucks to winning team isn't a bad thing at all.

As for Canada, their is talk of a bid for the 2005 Gold Cup.

12. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    thats fair enough
    then i guess that you dont want the gold cup winner getting an invite to the copa america

13. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do away with the coin toss. That's the stupidest way to decided advancement.

14. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
    the best way to improve the gold cup = get rid of it ;)

15. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Then how do you propose we do our continental championship?

16. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    More the reason to move to the 3x4 format. The only time a coin toss might be used in that instance is to help sort out the quaterfinalists.

17. PSUdude

PSUdude New Member

Dec 15, 1998
    Elmhurst, Queens, NY

why do you think CONCACRAP has the coin flip?!?!?!

I'd like to see a monkey knife-fight for the title, but that's just me.....

Seriously,
    -3 groups of 4,
    -CONCACAF teams only,
    -Different hosts every year,
    -ALL teams have to qualify (except the host), just to make things fun.

18. TravisMinor_23

TravisMinor_23 New Member

Oct 16, 2001
    United States
    stagger the dates to coinside with Euro qualifying. There SHOULD be Gold Cup qualifying for all teams in the region tomorrow. But instead, I'll have to watch a Euro match.

19. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Most CONCAF players play in their own countries or within the region. So the suggestion is a bit pointless.

20. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    I agree. Top 3 teams and best second place finisher advance to semi-finals.

Rotating hosts with minimum criteria of 3 stadia seating 20,000 and 1 of which seats 30K.

Sachin

21. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I agree with how the tournament should be conducted. hope the 2003 Gold Cup is like that.

I don't agree with the stadium criteria. Most countries in CONCACAF don't have the ability to meet those standards. Trinidad and Tobago would be a good host, but wouldn't be considered because it's stadiums aren't big enough.

22. Juan Luis Guerra

Juan Luis Guerra Red Card

Jun 11, 2001
    New York City
    where will be the Gold cup play next year?

23. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Where else? USA (Miami and LA again most likely)

Sachin

24. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    The Gold Cup finals will take place in the USA from 12 – 27 July 2003, in venues to be announced.

25. Juan Luis Guerra

Juan Luis Guerra Red Card

Jun 11, 2001
    New York City
    I'm sure some games will be played in the Galaxy new stadium.