Important points from Lalas, Arena

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Nutmeg, Aug 4, 2002.

1. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/216/sports/Perception_is_reality_for_US+.shtml

I think Lalas' points about never catching a team by surprise anymore are right on. 2006 will be a much more difficult competition for the US than 2002 was, but hopefully an improvement in talent from our players will help overcome that jump in difficulty. I think a transition from the role of underdog is only one of the obstacles. A lot more players on the next roster will not have had World Cup experience. The US has badly struggled in Europe. A team leader has to step forward and be what Reyna was to this team. In short, there are many unanswered questions.

One quote from Arena in this article shed light on who is likely to get immediate looks from the head coach. ''There are players who need to be replaced,'' Arena said. ''But there are a number of guys who played on the team but were not on the [World Cup] roster.''

To me, this says a player like Greg Vanney, Richard Mulrooney, or even Chris Klein were being groomed by Arena as possibilities for 2002, but probabilities for 2006. I believe we'll see these three get looks right away from Arena. Other than that, four more years of the same. Arena will be looking for players based on many of the same qualities he looked for before, but the end-all of selection will be Arena's much-used line, "We'll select the group of players who make us a better team."

2. The Wanderer

The Wanderer New Member

Sep 3, 1999
    Clicked on the link three time and no dice. Thanks for the summary anyways.

3. Murray

Murray Member

Aug 2, 1999
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just go to www.boston.com, then click on sports then it's right there in featured articles

4. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I like Klein. I think he is a national team calibre player. Big, tough, works hard, surprising skill.

5. Chester FC

Chester FC New Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Chris Klein could make an interesting attacking RB in a 4-4-2 or a right sided midfielder in the 3-5-2 formation. He certainly seems tough enough for the defensive duties. I wonder if Bruce is thinking about a switch for the Nats (ala Mulrooney).

6. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chris Klein has always reminded me of Tony Sanneh.

7. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Martin,

Chris is a LOT more skillful then Sanneh. His goal scoring touch is better than most of our right side players. May not good as Stewart in WCQ, but as good as Olsen, definately better than Jones.

8. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, you and I just see things differently. To me, Sanneh's skill level is often underated, with I hoped, the World Cup providing the counterpoint to that argument. Klein might have a slight skill advantage over Sanneh (keep in mind that Sanneh played attacking positions in MLS with strong success), but I think Tony is a better player because he is slightly more physical and, of course, more experienced.

I don't see Klein as skilled enough to play in the midfield and I see his future, if any, with the Nats as a right back in the Sanneh mold, with a little more skill and not quite as much of a physical force.

9. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sanneh is definitely underrated. Also... who else has the cojones to flick the ball over his head to beat a man in his own box when leading by just one goal in a World Cup match? Or nutmeg an opponent in his own box as in the Netherlands friendly?

10. The Wanderer

The Wanderer New Member

Sep 3, 1999
    These are all skills that he had not previously shone anybody.

11. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Yeah, I'd put much more money than I have on a bet that says that Arena will bring in and especially play who he thinks will make the team as good as it can be now. That would mean near miss MLS guys like Klein and Mulrooney (Euro guys like Vanney might not be called up due to club conflicts on certain dates) will be Arena-camp regulars at least for the next year or so depending on if they play themselves off the team.

12. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    Just think, no ABMOD, Kirovski, Cobi bashing threads. What will we do?

13. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    We'll always have ESPN.

14. odg78

odg78 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    North Carolina

and let's not forget Jim Rome

15. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not?

Kirovski seems to fit into the "fringe, but non-roster" category, as (unfortunately) does the little Ankle Grabber.

I like Alexi's take on the transition from underdog to contender. It will certainly be interesting to see how well Arena handles the evolution.

16. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, well, watch out, it's about to hit you.

http://www.soccertimes.com/usteams/2002/aug05.htm

(Monday, August 5, 2002) -- American midfielder\forward Jovan Kirovski, 26, became the sixth American player in England's Premier League today after signing a contract with newly-promoted Birmingham City.

As soon as (if?) Jovan scores a couple of goals for BC, people will be posting that he's the greatest American attacking player ever.

You never know.

17. Tick

Tick Member

Sep 30, 2000
    Rochester, NY
    I'll add fuel to the fire a bit here...

Kirovski still has a chance to develop into a good player. He's 26, which is old for a player to mature, but considering how little playing time he's had in his career, he's still on the learning curve. He really could turn things around and be a good national team player.

I haven't written him off for 06 (note, I DID write him off for the 02 roster after qualifying).

18. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tick, I never write off anyone who still has a job in a decent league--including MLS.

The great thing about the WC being over is that for a bunch of guys who didn't live the World Cup dream last time, the slate can easily be wiped clean.

19. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You gotta admit, BA never seems intimidated about the task at hand.

I agree one of his biggest jobs will be to give the team the right training/attitude to compete as favorites -- or at least, how to be successful as highly prized targets.

20. Tick

Tick Member

Sep 30, 2000
    Rochester, NY
    I sent this quote to a friend of mine, and he made a good point:

"Klein might get another look, but the fact that he
    played well and that was just dumped by Bruce makes me think there's something Arena doesn't like (could be that chemistry stuff)."

It's a good point. Klein's only time in the hex came during that rough spell where Arena said our chemistry was bad... and he was never called back into camp. Part of that had to be injured/ suspended players returning to the team and displacing him, but it might have been more.

If it WAS a chemistry problem, then there are three possibilities: 1. Arena thought he was a bad influence and is unlikely to call him in again, 2. He didn't get along with some veteran who is now off the team anyway, and will get a shot, 3. He didn't get along with some player who's still on the team, meaning he's out for now.

I guess my point is, there might be more to it than what we see on the field for KC.

21. Warzycha

Warzycha Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Someone mentioned earlier that the next group won't have as much WC experience as this one did, and I agree, but Bruce did some great things with inexperienced players this time around. Pablo was so good, especially if you consider he didn't even play in qualifying. Sanneh was our best player in his first Cup. DMB was very good vs Portugal. Hedjuk, while he played in France 98, hadn't spent any time at left back. Wolfe, Mathis, etc, with one galring exception, everyone who played contributed. Bruce will put out a team with Eddie Pope in his 3rd WC, Donovan, DMB, Wolfe, Mathis, Pablo, in their 2nd, hopefully a veteran Ben Olsen in his 1st, a bunch of good young guys capable of taking on the worl in Twellmen, Convey, Quaranta, etc., and with one player so good, he is not fazed by any of the competition....Freddy Adu. However it works out, we weren't nearly this excited for 2002 this soon after 1998. I can't wait for the next match

22. JohnW

JohnW Member

Apr 27, 2001
    St. Paul
    It's a Wagman rumor. Although Bruce (Steve Bruce, that is) is interested and trying to sign Kirovski, nothing is official yet.

jgw

23. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    I said it when Bruce was entering the Hex and I'll say it again, 2002 wasn't "his" World Cup, he has been targeting 2006 for quite a while. He is looking to add players like Convey, Santino Quaranta, Eddie Johnson, and Ben Olsen to his young cadre of Donovan, DaMarcus, Wolff and Mathis. When those horses are in his stable and mature, he'll be able to play attacking soccer without fear.

Right now he's going to look at a bunch of newcomers, particularly Carlos Bocanegra, Corey Gibbs, and Ryan Suarez to determine who will form the cornerstone of his next defense. In time he'll add guys like John Thorrington, Taylor Twellman and Connor Casey to the mix as well, but for the next year and a half he's going to throw a lot of elements into the pot and see how it cooks. He realizes that there is a lot of development to be done before the next World Cup, so guys like Steve Cherundolo, Pablo Mastroeni and Richard Mulrooney need to keep progressing.

Bruce will give everyone a shot, but in the end, he'll only keep the guys that collectively form the best team, not necessarily the best individuals, so there is an audition of a non-soccer kind as well.

-Tron

24. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    COME ON PEOPLE......Are ya'll out of your mind ?...How easy we beat PORTUGAL??? if we use this line up until it does not work no more, why change if they work so good !