News: Impact Sub - OGS The New Gaffer Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ashur, Dec 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yikchi

yikchi Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    Garden State
    It's confusing with Ole, he's definitely not great but he is not horrible. He will get us all excited like yesterday and let us down. Just a vicious cycle.

I don't mind a new manager but my thinking has been I am not sure who would lead us to success under this Woodward/Glazer leadership and why would anyone credible like Poch wants to work in this kind of amateur setup.

jnielsen, Deadtigers and benni... repped this.
  2. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I like Ole, I think hes a very good man manager, but tactically hes lost. He routinely gets outcoached and thinks bringing in subs are the only way to make changes in game. Arteta schooled him last game and its something we see happen more and more often. When we win, its on talent alone, not because our tactics/setup were better than the oppositions.

Hes gone before seasons end and his inability to improve as a tactician will be partially to blame. The majority still falls on Woody and co, but Ole wont be without blame. He should be doing better with the talent on our team.

Amdrag repped this.
  3. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Not true at all.

All the big games say otherwise. Especially the last 2 CL games.

Deadtigers repped this.
  4. yikchi

yikchi Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    Garden State
    The thing with Ole is that there seems to be no adjustment or urgency from him when things are not working.
    Like yesterday, the subs are like for like and there is no adjustment to our shape. It was like, let me throw on Cavani and Vdb and see what happens.

jnielsen and benni... repped this.
  5. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    The plan B of lumping the ball to Maguire, alla Fellaini, was the worst part of the season so far for me.

6. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Lets see when they blink

8. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think falling into the relegation zone would make them blink?

9. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Nah they care ONLY about $$$, Cl exit and when we are out of top 4 race..

Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  10. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    Pochettino was out by mid November with Tottenham in 14th. It wouldn't surprise me if Poch replaced him ironically enough.

11. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1036 Ashur, Nov 4, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
    He's the only real candidate right now. He's available, he's ready and wants the job. All the other viable candidates are with other clubs.
    Deliberately left Allegri out: excellent coach but as was the case with Mourinho, he's not a good fit for us.
    Poch seemingly fits us like a glove on so many aspects and he desperately wants the job: has for quite some time.
    Anything less than 3pts surely has to spell trouble for Ole at this juncture (particularly if we see a repeat of our last 2 performances).

12. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think I'm officially getting onboard team #oleout. Is it his fault? Nope. Has he done enough to stay? Nope.

Amdrag and Chaz Striker repped this.
  13. LA. MAN UNITED

LA. MAN UNITED Member+

May 22, 2006
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It almost seems like Poch is waiting for this job. The Ole-coaster is on a downward drop right now and another league loss might be the tonic to get him in here.

14. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    He’d go a long way by recognizing his position, and ingratiating himself with the fans by speaking out against the hierarchy.

Amdrag, Deadtigers and MizzouMUFC repped this.
  15. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yep. Problem is the board is good at making the manager think they're being backed until the last second when they stab him in the back. He needs to read the writing on the wall and publicly turn on them.

Anonymous_United repped this.
  16. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Not sure who is doing the defensive coaching, doubt it is Ole - probably more likely Phelan or McKenna. Whoever, Ole should get some extra help in on defensive coaching to work with the team for a while maybe from a Rio or Gaz - as we are a shambles defensively atm.

17. yikchi

yikchi Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    Garden State
    Other than yesterday's match, i don't think the defense has been bad. I think the issue is more with the attack.
    I am no tactical expert but looking back that 5-0 vs RBL result might actually hurt us more than helped us. It tricked everyone to think that the diamond works (and hooray we can stuff all our CM/CAM in the lineup !!!) but it worked against RBL because they play a high line and made a lot of mistakes in that match and we capitalized.
    Our attack generated nothing vs. Arsenal and Istanbul...our passing not good enough to break through organized packed defense and we play with no width other than from the FBs.

benni... repped this.
  18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    What? We're the 5th worst in the league at goals conceded and if you watch some of the goals we've conceded you'd realize our defense has been very, very, very bad. We're shit going forward as well, but make no mistake, our defense is very much bottom half of the league.

Amdrag repped this.
  20. yikchi

yikchi Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    Garden State
    I should qualify that by saying after the last international break... Yes, we shipped 11 goals the first three league matches; the whole team was awful not just the defense.

After the intl break (just based off memory), we gave up 1 to Newcastle off a deflection, 1 to PSG, 0-0 with Chelsea, clean sheet against RBL, give up 1 PK vs Arsenal. so 3 goals in 5 matches wasn't bad. Yes, Istanbul was an absolute sh!t show but I think defensively we were solid for those 5 games and Maguire and Lindelof had actually played well together.

21. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    The balance of the team wasn't right in Istanbul. Matic was filling at CB and Henderson at goal. Ole tried to get the wing-backs forward, but that left United woefully exposed at the back and they paid for it.

Ole is a good manager, but he came in as caretaker rather than someone truly expected to lead the club in a visionary way. I don't know if the hiring of Pochettino will do the club any better. If he was coming in to replace Mourinho, I'd have thought yes, but to replace Ole I'm less sure.

If United do plan to replace Ole, I think Deschamps is a better choice. You want to get Pogba to perform, he's your man.

22. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm done catering to Pogba. He's shown nothing in his time here that suggests he's worth it. He needs to go.

As for Poch, I think he's a better manager than Ole but he won't fix things. As long as our front office remains the same, nothing will change.

Amdrag repped this.
  24. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would sooner go for Allegri over Deschamps to be honest. No questioning his capabilities as a winning coach but like Mourinho, Simeone or Allegri for that matter, Deschamps is not the type of manager that we want in terms of the style he'd bring.
    Need a coach that is solid and organized at the back but favors a progressive style going forward. My list right now consists of Pochettino, ten Hag and Nagelsmann. Pretty sure that either one of those guys would be capable of getting the most from our top echelon guys including Pogba.
    Pogba's best periods with United were in his first season (he and Zlatan worked very well together and were terribly unlucky in terms of their goals/assists output). Pogs was superb when Ole first got the job and he literally built the team around him and gave him free reign in midfield. That is when he led the team statistically in many categories. He was excellent then.
    Kind of unclear to me why Ole didn't stick to that when he came back last season: Bruno is the one who was given license to do whatever he wants and while it paid big initially, it's pretty clear that his effectiveness has seriously diminished of late and he's a turnover/giveaway machine to boot.
    Pogba is at his very best when he has the freedom to express himself and that's how he should be used with us. That's why the need for a top level and athletic 6 was paramount. Dropped the ball there, just as we ultimately dropped the ball in terms of our use of Pogs.
    It's a very solid bet that if he does leave us and goes to play under Zidane or Pirlo, we'll see him flourish big time as it will be one their priorities to put him in a position where he'll succeed and have a big influence on games. That's what I feel someone like Poch could do him (and our other top players as well).

25. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I’d stick with Ole until the Glazers decide they are done. Let him get United mid table, relegated, promoted, relegated again. This ain’t ending with a coaching change. It’s the ownership and the admin that need to get gone.