Impact on concacaf of fifa's new nation switching rule

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by Crazy_Yank, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/feedarticle/8539751

This is news is about a week old now, but I thought it would be interesting to discuss the potential impact of the new rule on concacaf national teams. Obviously Arturo Alvarez will now be able to join El Salvador and would be eligible before the world cup (should they qualify). Edgar Castillo of Las Cruces, New Mexico would be able to join the USA as he only has youth caps for Mexico. USA was his first choice to begin with, but he was ignored by our idiotic scouts. He would definitely be our first choice left back and he seems to be on the outside looking in when it somes to Mexico's seleccion. Bundesliga player Jermine Jones has some youth caps for Germany, but is eligible for the US thru his father now that the rule has changed. Who else?

2. blacksun

blacksun Member+

Mar 30, 2006
    Seoul, Korea
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe that Jonathan de Guzman is now eligible for Canada

3. DCFAN96

DCFAN96 Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Seems like the US got the first big boost, Jermaine Jones has stated his intentions to play with the US and should be a sure starter with the team, and likely one of the top midfielders in Concacaf. Not sure any other team in Concacaf will be able to lure a player of the came caliber.

4. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Especially impressive for us because the German posters on this forum seem to believe that Jones never got a fair shot with Germany despite being one of the Bundesliga's best central midfielders.

If I had to guess, I would bet Alvarez switching to El Salvador will be the next CONCACAF related decision.

5. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Does the US have any good Mexican youth players at the moment? I think our youth system has more Mexican Americas than the US has.

6. GUANACO1

GUANACO1 Member

May 18, 2007
    Los Angeles

does HE play in england?

7. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
  8. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    I dont like it, rich countries are gonna suddenly use former brazilian U17-U20 players on their teams, they shoulndt have changed it IMO

9. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree. Countries like Germany, England, Brazil, Spain, etc.......string players along making them think they will be a part of it all just to keep their player pools as deep as possible until the said player is too old to make a switch. Some of what you say will happen, but over all I think the new rule is fair.

10. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Just who has England 'strung along'?

And your point is incorrect, if countries wanted to keep player pools as deep as possible they'd cap young players left, right and centre as opposed to, you know, not capping them.

11. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'm guessing the Caribbean countries will be the ones to really benefit. We'll probably see a whole bunch of former English and US players switch.

12. Taly

Taly Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Big Al's Brewery, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully this will happen. I would love to see a couple Carribean teams make a serious ruckus in the Hex.

13. BSGuy321

BSGuy321 Member

Sep 2, 2008
    This will help the smaller teams such as Algeria etc. Many good players of African decent living in France who played at the youth level can now play for their motherland. Same for the Carribbean players living re England.

14. Taly

Taly Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Big Al's Brewery, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad, Suriname is very stubborn about not using players who leave the country to play professionally.

Imagine Suriname's roster that would be full foreign mercenaries.

15. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it appears as though Bobby Zamora and a defender from Bolton have switched to T&T..