Impact of Nations Leagues (UEFA original, Concacaf) on World Football? [Multiple R]

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Mar 27, 2014.

1. I think it would be more of a game changer if for instance the last 4 of the copa libertadores would be allowed to join in the UEFA CL.

2. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    No, that would be impossible and also meaningless.

1) the money will always be in the top european leagues. The best south american players will always be there as well. Has CL changed anything for russian, ukrainian, turkish, greek, etc. football? No.

2) the top 4 of copa Libertadores will almost always be brazilian/argentinian clubs, so at best you just would change a few things only for the two countries that need it the least.

3) european teams simply refuse to travel to south america. Conmebol NTs are already accepting to play UEFA NL without hosting any games. For clubs I don't think european teams would be any more lenient, thus, it would be impracticable since south american clubs have national leagues to attend to. They can't do intercontinental travel every week.

3. If the last 4 of the Copa would join the last 4 of the CL it would mean (in case a Copa team beats it's first UCL opponent) 2 matches in Europe and 2 in SA and dependent on where the final is played yes or no a 3d match. Seems doable to me.

4. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    Oh you mean like an expanded club WC? Even more pointless.
    All 4 south american clubs will lose inmediately with 95% certainty and that will be it.

And, again, how does that help Bolivia, Venezuela, Peru, etc. in any way?

5. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    At this point in time, the European clubs financial advantage is just significant for C'BOL teams to compete. C'BOL's teams might be able to upset a top UEFA team once in a blue moon but can't compete on a league. We need money at the club level to be able to keep up.

I think UEFA + C'BOL NL can be a game change for C'BOL national teams. IMHO it will help all C'BOL national teams to raise their game.

6. Ajax had/has about 1/5th of the budgets or less than the clubs it did beat in their CL run that lasted just seconds too long in the semi final or they made it into the final, so it's not that deterministic regarding opportunities to beat the big money clubs.

The NL isnot a big money spinner, it's intended to make teams compete with likewise level teams, so they donot get trashed like in the "normal" Euro/WC qualification rounds.
    So I wonder how much benefit there will be from a combined NL.

Paul Calixte repped this.
  7. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    Even England, the richest FA in Europe, couldn't get more revenue from their TV deal and were guaranteed a better deal in the NL. For smaller sides, like Bolivia or Venezuela, there's even more of an upside (marginal gains of extra revenue and they'd never be able to generate as much on their own as they'd make in the NL). The NL would get a growth spurt when UEFA and CONMEBOL join forces and as it's still in its infancy it has plenty of growth potential to unlock.

A lot of CONMEBOL players ply their trade in Europe; so they'd have to travel less during international breaks; getting the same benefit as UEFA players wrt wear and tear, travel, climate, and so on (also no games at 1,859,715 metres above sea level for example). You'd expect better performances from them (and during World Cups they wouldn't have been drained as much).

CONMEBOL teams could very well take the NL more serious than UEFA teams. Sounds like they really want a shot at beating the big European sides. The benefit for CONMEBOL teams is definitely bigger than for UEFA ones. UEFA teams already have plenty of competition without the addition of CONMEBOL teams to the NL while CONMEBOL teams can hardly get a friendly against UEFA teams since the creation of the NL. In case a CONMEBOL team wins a group containing potential hosts the NL Finals will most likely be held in that South American country and they'd get full home field advantage (wouldn't be a surprise if they get crowds in for their group games in Europe as well; just have to pick the best spot).

8. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    To tell you the truth I don't see what good comes out of Conmebol joining the Uefa Nations League, footballistically speaking for Conmebol. It looks like just another money grab to me that some hustler thought of. Our players already play in Europe. They know how Europeans play. Our coaches see them play every weekend. Are you going to tell me that by getting the players together 3 or 4 times a year and playing against a bunch of subs "our" national teams are going to get better? And they have to play in Europe to boot?
    I just don't see it.
    And remember that if South Americans are not playing Europeans, that means that (oh the revelation!) Europeans are not playing South Americans either. So not playing each other affects us but not them?
    I think we have to look in the mirror and fix the plague of corruption affecting "our football" before we look elsewhere for "help".
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    just an aside: I looked up the term footballistically to see if that word existed in English and I found this:

What is Footballistically?
    Word coined by Arsene Wenger, manager of Arsenal FC football club of London, England. Footballistically is used to mean

1. in terms of football (the actual action of playing)

2. football-wise

Arsene Wenger? wtf? :)

9. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    I see a huge benefit for SA national teams to have access to schedule recurrent strong competition. Sure the best players do play at the clubs. But:

1) Not every SA country has all their national team players in Europe best leagues and teams.

2) Club game is very different than national game. You do need strong competition at national team level to be able to reach higher levels. A collective of very good 11 players with little to no cohesion as a team would be an easy prey for a well trained team of 11 average to good players.

3) The size of UEFA allow them to play among themselves and still provide good competition for their member. In contrast, C'BOL is too narrow. There isn't real competition for Brazil or Argentina at the moment. Likewise there isn't appropriate level of competition for Venezuela and Bolivia.

I see C'BOL as having a 5 very distinct tiers. I don't see any benefits to any of the team playing each other. On a neutral ground lower level teams do not challenge higher level teams. Access to UEFA NL would provide real competitive game to every team.

1 - Arg/Bra
    2 - Uru/Col
    3 - Per/Chi
    4 - Ecu/Par
    5 - Ven/Bol

10. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nearly verbatim what Alejandro Domínguez has stated on the topic :thumbsup:

Worth noting here (some of you may have missed it) that this would involve cross-group play, i.e. a team in Group A playing home-and-away against everyone in Group B. In the end, while the teams in Group A will not have played each other, they would ultimately be compared over the same fixtures... and this format allows Conmebol to keep the Brazil-Argentina showdowns that otherwise would've been discontinued (if FIFA's willing to entertain it - and Infantino's an "if it makes dollars, it makes sense" kind of guy - expect a similar proposal from Concacaf for 2030 on).

...which makes the proposed additional games b/w the qualified teams out of Round 1 all the more ridiculous.

Btw, why doesn't the Copa América appear in this proposed calendar?

11. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    What do you mean by corruption, at which level and what are their actual impact that constrain the region progress?

I think this perceived "corruption" at C'BOL level is more imaginary than real. C'BOL were able to significantly raise the monetary prize of Libertadores. Furthermore, they run successful men's and women's competition which support the growth and development of the region. Sure there are actual corruption at the club level but these aren't C'BOL responsibility to fix.

12. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    It's there, CA, wedged between June and September 2024.

Paul Calixte repped this.
  13. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    That would ruin the UEFA CL!

What might be a good idea for National Team football doesn't necessarily work for club football. Look at World cup versus Club World Cup.

r0adrunner and Cosmin10 repped this.
  14. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #714 Paul Calixte, Jun 27, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
    Some random Sunday musings:

Assuming that FIFA 1) doesn't pull together its own NL and 2) signs off on the rumored UEFA-Conmebol collaboration, I would offer the following proposal.

- There is a way to work in each participant playing at their own home (i.e. stipulating that Conmebol sides must be paired in groups)... but I doubt UEFA would want to accommodate the logistical headache. If they don't have to cross the Atlantic, they're not going to.

- Boniek's original comments hinted at a League A with 22 teams, but I'd go ahead and expand it to 24 - nothing to be gained from a 1st division with uneven groups, or groups of 6 teams playing each other once (using only 5 matchdays rather than the current 6). I'd similarly expand League B to 24 teams and League C to 17... highly doubt anyone would shed a tear for League D being folded up :D

- Lastly, the Conmebol teams would be in the lowest pot in their respective divisions. Not b/c they deserve it in sporting terms, naturally, but 1) it's most palatable for those European sides that may complain about outsiders waltzing into a higher pot, and 2) if Conmebol's approaching this looking for more reps against the best Europe has to offer, then they too would rather play teams from Pot 1 than Pot 4 - the harder the groups, the better.

A mock draw, using the rankings from this year's competition as they currently stand, and guaranteeing that all four current League B winners get their just reward and play in League A next time (with two League A bottom-feeders getting spared as a result):

LEAGUE A

Group 1

Netherlands
    Croatia
    Switzerland
    Colombia

Group 2

Hungary
    Austria
    Israel
    Brazil

Group 3

Spain
    Germany
    Ukraine
    Uruguay

Group 4

Belgium
    Italy
    France
    Peru

Group 5

Portugal
    Poland
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Chile

Group 6

Denmark
    Czech Republic
    Norway
    Argentina

LEAGUE B

Group 1

Scotland
    Sweden
    Turkey
    North Macedonia

Group 2

Iceland
    Rep. Ireland
    Greece
    Venezuela

Group 3

Montenegro
    Finland
    Slovenia
    Paraguay

Group 4

Serbia
    Armenia
    Russia
    Luxembourg

Group 5

Wales
    Romania
    Kazakhstan
    Ecuador

Group 6

England
    Albania
    Georgia
    Bolivia

LEAGUE C

Group 1

Northern Ireland
    Lithuania
    Latvia
    San Marino

Group 2

Azerbaijan
    Cyprus
    Moldova
    Liechtenstein

Group 3

Faroe Islands
    Bulgaria
    Estonia

Group 4

Kosovo
    Belarus
    Malta

Group 5

Slovakia
    Gibraltar
    Andorra

---

From there, 5 teams go up from League C to League B, with a "lucky loser" from League B avoiding the drop. Pro/rel between Leagues B and A would be straightforward; and at the top of League A, the Final Four would either be expanded to a Super 6 (two group winners with best records get bye to semifinals) or an Elite 8 (two best runners-up joining the group winners), necessitating just one extra matchday for the Final in June 2025.

Every Four Years repped this.
  15. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    #715 Every Four Years, Jun 27, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2022
    Sounds good. Agree with most of your comments here.

League A unironically looks like a better tournament than the expanded World Cup. Hell, replace Israel and Bosnia with Mexico and Egypt, and that would have passed for the actual World Cup back in the day.

16. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't believe FIFA would sanction a UEFA-Conmebol NL without it being part of FIFA's own NL.

UEFA is also in the process of revamping the preliminary competition for the EC from the 2028 edition which will feature 32 teams (subject to confirmation), so the structure of qualifying for continental championships and probably WCs will probably alter quite a bit when the new IMC post-2024 is approved.

17. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    Yeah, I'm sure FIFA will do everything they can to stop the joint NL project (sadly).

Btw I forgot to mention before but it would seem that Conmebol federations have finally decided to keep the current qualification format for the WC. It will start already in March.
    All of this is unofficial info for now but it's been reported by a few journalists already.

It will be a shitshow with some teams likely qualifying halfway through its duration but money talks...

Hexa and Cosmin10 repped this.
  18. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    #718 Hexa, Jun 28, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
    But UEFA-C'BOL isn't interested in a GNL which would be a the facto biannual WC. C'BOL could simply agree to play in a UEFA-NL that are friendlies for C'BOL teams.

Not sure if FIFA would want to risk a WC without UEFA-C'BOL teams. I guess we will have to wait and see. I'm really eager to see C'BOL team playing in a Euro based NL against UEFA teams. Wouldn't mind boycotting a WC to see it happen (Just hope it isn't the 2026 WC - I live in Miami so I'm looking forward to it).

19. It's not FIFA's call, if both parties want it.
    FIFA can't stop it. The only thing they can do is to organize a WC in that same timeframe and see if either confed is going to let go off that worldcup.
    That however could be a major costly gamble if both do go the combi NL.

20. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Surprisingly though the expansion to 48 teams doesn't necessitate much change in the qualifying format for most regions. I can even see some confederations expand their qualifying process, which is a bit counter-intuitive.

Qualifying format in UEFA, CONMEBOL can (and seems like they will) stay almost exactly the same. Only minor tweak needed for CAF (basically just need to eliminate the playoff round at the end). AFC would need a bit more than a tweak. I can see them expanding the final group stage to something like 3 groups of six. I think only CONCACAF needs a total overhaul (but only starting in 2030).

I think its a bit mad to expand the Euro to 32 teams. But yeah.... wouldn't surprise me. I wonder if that happens if we will see automatic qualifiers in UEFA for the first time. For e.g. the 16 teams that qualified for the World Cup automatically qualify for the 2028 Euros (?).

21. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Alternatively we could just get rid of the final group stage and send the 8 stage 2 group winners. That would create room on the calendar for a nations league.

22. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think it is a great idea to have a 32-team EC. You get all of the benefits of expansion without the awkward format that a number of teams not to the power of 2 (i.e. not 4, 8, 16 or 32 teams) presents. The competition duration is also the same as with 24-teams.

If NLs are introduced in Asia and Africa, I think their WCQ formats will change significantly for 2026. I would like to see each team get a group's worth of games like in UEFA qualifying groups.

23. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    There's no reason to scrap the final round and enhance the luck of the draw factor. Just use the NL as a preliminary round to eliminate the minnows, then go to your 8-group second round from there. Advance 16 teams (group winners and runners-up) to a final round with 4 groups of 4, advancing the top 2 from this round to the WC and the best third to the IC playoff.

LordofBrewtown and Paul Calixte repped this.
  24. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I would like to see every team in Africa and Asia play between 6 and 10 WCQ matches in a group context.

25. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    I see the NL as the group context. They're technically World Cup qualifiers in my proposal anyway, and no one benefits from having Laos play Japan and concede 10 goals. I don't want to decide WC qualifiers based on one team scoring 15 goals against Bhutan and one team scoring 12, which can happen if you just advance teams from the AFC second round to the WC directly.

LordofBrewtown and Paul Calixte repped this.