impact of COVID on working as a referee

Discussion in 'Referee' started by funref13, Jun 10, 2020.

?

Impact of COVID-19 on you working as a referee

1. No impact

23 vote(s)
    39.7%
  2. I will referee less games

23 vote(s)
    39.7%
  3. I will shift to only officiating local or non-travel games

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  4. I plan on not referring this season due to COVID-19

11 vote(s)
    19.0%
  1. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Huh ... why did that put me in mind of the young Lauren Bacall?

I haven't done a match since HS shut down here back in March. Very much of mixed emotions about that (probably not least because today I am embarking upon my 70th year on this mortal coil).

Today's email harvest brought the 2021 recert info from our HS association. That recert will be entirely virtual. The games, of course, will not.

Me: "Am I gonna do high school games this spring?"

Wife: "Yes."

2. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tomorrow and Wednesday night, I'll do a few games in my local indoor complex. Games will be on a portion of the full field and with a high ceiling. Not much running, so I'll use an electronic whistle and wear a mask.

3. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    Eww how would you keep the wine you spit out from getting on it?

4. LongTimeLurker

Dec 24, 2019
    Wouldn’t have passed MA rules this fall: any breath-powered whistle was supposed to be inside a mask. OK if you zipped the whistle inside the mask before blowing, though.

5. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    I love my electronic whistle. I may never go back.

6. Chaik

Chaik Member

Oct 18, 2001
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I may actually only do school ball from here on out. HS here is late August-early November. All in the early evenings with a few Saturdays thrown in. At most two games in a row (usually JV dual then varsity AR, if you are the varsity Center you get to show up after the JV game).

I did not miss all day weekend tournaments during the nice warm weather. I'd rather duck out of work an hour or two early, do a game or two, and get home by 9 on a weekday than lose my whole weekend. In my experience, telling an assigner "I could do one or two games Sunday morning" turns into getting begged to stay for a few more.

It also helps that high school games are the highest level sub-college games we have in my (small) state. The few premier club teams there are usually head out of state to play.

ilyazhito, jazehr and Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  7. Pelican86

Pelican86 Member

United States
    Jun 13, 2019
    Today was the last day of my HS regular season. Despite our local association being down to about 90 referees from 120-130 or so last year, I ended up working the same exact number of games this regular season as last regular season (63).

8. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    This is my first year doing HS. From the email count, we had 61 last season. By my math we have 37 now, but that is only the ones who showed up to the first meeting. There may be more, but Dragonfly doesn't list the officials like Arbiter and GameOfficials does.

9. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    WaPo article today: "Are youth sports an engine of B.1.1.7 outbreaks?"

"Dan Culhane, 62, took extraordinary precautions when he returned to the ice as a youth hockey referee in January. He triple-masked, wore a plexiglass face shield on his helmet and donned his gear at home to minimize time indoors.

"It wasn’t enough.

"Culhane, who died on Feb. 28 of covid-19, is one of more than 189 people confirmed or suspected to be linked to an unusual youth sports outbreak of the coronavirus in Carver County, Minn., driven by the B.1.1.7 variant that was first seen in the United Kingdom. The interlinked cases span all levels of K-12 schools, from elementary to high school, and 18 hockey, four basketball, three lacrosse and one soccer teams."

More at:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/04/06/youth-sports-outbreaks-covid-testing/

IASocFan and rh89 repped this.
  10. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    On the positive, I used my position as a school referee as a 'school contractor' to make myself eligible for vaccination a few weeks earlier and received my second shot 9 days ago.

Did my 1st HS game of our 'fall 2' season a couple weeks ago on a Monday night. I get home from my MLSNext matches that Saturday to a phone call from my school assignor. One of the kids on the HS game tested positive a few days later and I was then quarantined from refereeing for 10 days and taken off a couple school games. Luckily they ended up being played in some shitty rain/snow conditions, so if there was a bright side, I missed out on that. Was back on the field this past Monday.

Part that made zero sense, I was quarantined (as was my partner), the school with the positive test was quarantined from playing, naturally, the opponent however was not quarantined.

voiceoflg and IASocFan repped this.
  11. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    There is a whole lot of Covid-related decisions that have made zero sense. My company allows me to work out of town in my usual office, but I can't work out of town at other offices to be closer to schools where I have games, even though I have worked in those offices before.

12. thatsoccerreferee

thatsoccerreferee New Member

United States
    Apr 11, 2021
    In my case, it's depended on what leagues are active. I'm probably doing more than usual right now because of the college season getting moved. Overall, I've gotten a similar number of games from USSF and high school but missed out on NPSL, UPSL and USL 2.

frankieboylampard repped this.
  13. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm guessing the referee-imposed quarantine has more to do with our membership (and their households) that tends to trend older (and therefore riskier). At 53, I'm one of the young guys.

voiceoflg repped this.
  14. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Los Angeles County health order, effective Sept 1, appears to require testing within 48 hours for all participants In youth soccer games—I don’t see how that is going to be practicable.

15. fischietto

fischietto Member

Apr 13, 2018
    Is that only for unvaccinated participants , or everyone ?

16. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Regardless of vaccination status. (It's recommended that unvaccinated participants get tested twice weekly.)

17. MJ91

MJ91 Member

United States
    Jan 14, 2019
    Are they allowing the instant tests or requiring the send-to-the-lab test? Around here, it's a crapshoot whether you get the send-in results back within 48 hrs.

HSVG game earlier this week... Girls at home vs. 'X', Boys were away at 'X'.

At halftime, i see the home boys team stroll into the stands to watch the girls. Huh? Thought they were playing at 'X' tonight?

"Their game got cancelled because of covid at X's school."
    Oh, really? Then why the h*** did X's girls team still come here to play?!? SMH...

jayhonk, IASocFan, dadman and 1 other person repped this.
  18. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    For the NCAA track & field championships and the Olympic Trials, I had to be tested seven times in June, despite being fully vaxxed. All negative, of course. Ignoring whether you are vaccinated or not doesn't give one much incentive to get vaxxed, does it?

If a school can't field a team, we are treating any non-league game as just cancelled, i.e. not affecting their win-lost record. Any league game will be a forfeit, however, and season records will be affected. This is more than paper wins and losses because forfeit wins and losses will affect your ranking and may determine whether you make the playoffs or not. People who are fully vaxxed and asymptomatic do not have to quarantine if they are exposed, under our state's policy. YMMV.

IASocFan and frankieboylampard repped this.
  19. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I think they must be allowing the instant tests for exactly that reason--but I'm still dubious about there being a practical solution for AYSO. Hopeful, but dubious. and trying to avoid letting depression set in . . .

20. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I think that policy is starting to change in some places as, apparently, even those of us who are fully vaxxed can be asymptomatic spreaders. I think that is the logic of the LA County order. While I find it depressing, I really can't say it is clearly erroneous from a health policy perspective such that VAR should intervene. :( The policy doesn't kick in until the first, so I may get a game or tow in to satisfy my addiction even if I have to go cold turkey again. :cry:

dadman repped this.
  21. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Limiting to only youth sports? Why not college and pro sports? Do pro athletes not contract and spread the virus? How many athletes, no matter what age, have been hospitalized?

22. nylaw5

nylaw5 Member

Jan 24, 2002
    West Coast
    Vaccines are not approved for youth yet and the Delta variant has shown to be a greater risk for kids than the initial outbreak.
    Pro and College players who are vaccinated can still be re-infected but have a much lower chance of having a severe case.

23. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    OK. But again, How many athletes, no matter what age, have been hospitalized with Covid?

The high school I do the radio play by play for has had several students test positive in the last 18 months. According to them, zero have been hospitalized. At worst, some had mild symptoms.

24. Gary V

Gary V Member+

Feb 4, 2003
    SE Mich.
    The CDC reports that about 450 children (I'm sure at least some of them were athletes) in the US have died from Covid. Yes, a very low rate; children seem to have much milder symptoms as well.

The danger is that the child brings the virus home and it spreads to parents or grandparents.

dadman repped this.
  25. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    Vaccine promo…

At this point from what we know about the vaccines (for the sake of this discussion I’m referring to Pfizer and moderna), delta variant etc., if you are not vaccinated, then you are an unnecessary burden and risk to everyone around you.

The demographics have changed abruptly: COVID is no longer the disease of the elderly and sick- ICU’s across the country are full of people who are young to middle age adults with no risk factors, except one: they are not vaccinated. Most places the unvaccinated makes up 90-95% of the inpatient population, and 95-99% of deaths in the last three months. Vaccine reactions in the young and old are occurring, but the incidence is not dissimilar to reactions to other vaccines: they are real, can be occasionally severe, and numerically are rare enough that they should not be part of one’s decision making. For example, the odds of a young person getting myocarditis from the vaccine is about the same as he or she having sudden cardiac death while playing sports.

Burden wise, we are a hair’s breadth away from the peaks of last winter: er wait times are dramatic, and are limiting access to people with non-COVID emergencies. It’s not that delta is that much more severe as the original strains (it is at least as severe tho), it’s that the infectivity is so high that it is sweeping through vulnerable (ie unvaccinated and COVID naive) groups.

To be sure, delta has meant that people are getting COVID for the second (or third) time, and a vaccinated person can likely still spread it. But if everyone were vaccinated, the hospitals’ COVID burden would be extremely manageable.

I’m not so sure that COVID testing is the answer here: it has a feel of closing the barn doors after the horses have all run out. It is not impractical to do testing with the point of care tests: a 95% sensitive test that can be done in minutes costs $6.

The soccer pertinent part is that it is increasingly obvious that covid most efficiently trasmits when people linger together in small spaces with poor ventilation. I don’t know what the transmission rate is during soccer practice or games, but i bet it is quite low. I personally do not use any extra precautions during games except keeping my distance.