Impact defender Laurent Ciman named 2015 MLS Defender of the Year

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by carnifex2005, Nov 11, 2015.

1. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
  2. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the Champions League on, he really stood out for me. He was also the best center back in the league at going forward during the run of play.

3. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Damn, I was sure it was going to be Bobby Burling.

jayd8888 repped this.
  4. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Surprised it wasn't a TFC defender.

5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Colorado fans have reinvented making every thread about their irrelevant team.

Damn, you guys have a serious mental disorder.

DynamoEAR repped this.
  6. Guy Everett

Guy Everett Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #6 Guy Everett, Nov 11, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
    Well deserved. From the Champions League play to MLS regular season, he really stood out. What you would expect from someone on the Belgium World Cup team in Brazil - granted not in the starting 11, but still to make that team. Refreshing to see a European come to MLS and really put the effort forward (please not a statement to start a verbal joust).

And to pass over European clubs to support his daughter, well played sir, well played.....

7. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't too sure about this when I saw it on twitter, but considering CCL play I guess it's fair enough. Regardless, there's a lot of good defenders in MLS this season, which only makes teams like Toronto and NYCFC look worse.

Guy Everett repped this.
  8. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I must have caught the wrong games, because Ciman always seemed like a liability to me. Good in defense generally, but always on the verge of making a game-changing decision.

I'm also not comfortable with giving "defender of the year" to a guy with 8 yellow cards and 3 red cards in a season. Would have rather seen it go to Matt Hedges (4 yellows, 0 reds, 20 fewer fouls committed than Ciman).

themightymagyar and gears repped this.
  9. jeffclimbs

jeffclimbs Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 29, 2014
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    This was my thought too: way too many cards. But he's a beast, no doubt about it.

10. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    I thought Waston should of got it until I saw him hoof the ball down the field every time he got it on Sunday. No distribution.

Ciman is good, but he lost his mind at times this year.

11. MUTINYFAN

MUTINYFAN Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Orlando
    Well next year it will be either Sjoberg, Birnbaum, Abdul-Salaam or Oneil Fisher.

12. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    ciman is definitely the right choice, regardless of some of his yellows and reds- classy, elegant, secure on the ball, connects with his teamamtes with his passing and a great reader of the play- the type of CD that TFC needs in order to have a better defence- waston is a beast, but lumps the ball out upfield most of the time which i find very frustrating

13. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Remind me, how relevant is DC now? Yep. Last I checked, my "irrelevant" team won as many games since July as yours did.

Anyway, chill dude. If there's a quota for harmless jokes by fans of teams outside your echo chamber, do post a sign on the door next time.

JasonMa repped this.
  14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great job putting the kiss of death on Sjoberg, really appreciate it...

15. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Ciman was a marked man by refs this season (that Cbus penalty call was ridiculous), and he's adapting to MLS's play/reffing. He's hard to pass, and great to relay the ball forward. His slide tackles are killer, in both a good and bad way, and that's often what does him in.