I'm not bitter ... but I hate you all (other teams thread)

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by pookspur, Jul 4, 2012.

1. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    The big question, in the end, will be where the money goes. This could be the death knell for countless smaller (and not so small) clubs if the powers that be get it wrong.

And you can pretty much bet they will.

2. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are all kinds of issues at hand regarding the league table versus matches not played.
    Who goes to Europe, or not, and what kind additional loss of income will there be?
    Who goes to the CL, or not, and that massive amount of income?
    What about the pure income from the league standings?
    What about player/manager salaries and bonuses based on games played or league standings?
    And, of course, relegation?

We already know that Euro2020 is postponed for a year, so it would be very foolish for the EPL to play during the summer. If the season does not start until October or so, is there the possibility of a combined or compound season? That, also does not seem feasible because of the above questions.

So what to do? I think the only option, considering that nothing will be fair, and nothing can be fair (FFS, Spurs are going to get Kane back from injury), is to let the table be as it lies. I say this knowing it could screw Spurs of Europe next season, when ever it starts.

But that, also brings into the question of the EPL's responsibility to the health of the players. There is no possible way for the EPL to restart until given the all-clear by who ever it is from Westminster, and that does not seem likely until October at the earliest (I hope. From what I understand, it would foolish to start sooner).

So, with all that, to me the least worst option is to have those two matches be played behind closed doors and then call the season fin.

3. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    In desperate times, confession is good for the soul.

Final game of the 1989 season, Arsenal went to Anfield needing to win by 2 to beat Liverpool to the title. This at the end of a period of utter dominance by Liverpool (10 league wins in 15 years, multiple domestic cups, 4 European cups and probably more if Heysel hadn't kept them out).

This game was televised live, a real rarity back then before the premier league and it's sprawling TV deals. Hillsborough had been a month earlier and Liverpool would go on to win the FA Cup. Still, as I watched the game I couldn't help but wish for *gulp* Arsenal to win. Long before any Man City-QPR last-minute dramatics, here were the top 2 facing off and the game decided by a last minute winner.

The wish for someone, anyone other than them to win was stronger than any rivalry that night. And I had plenty of glory-hunting school friends in the south of England adopting the reds as their team. They were more contemptible than Arsenal fans, to me.

So I don't have a lot of time for younger Liverpool fans bleating about things being taken from them and that entitlement mentality. Until 2 years ago they hadn't finished above us in the league in like 10 years, but they would look down their noses at us.

Deep Pal repped this.
  4. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3404 soccernutter, Mar 22, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    The FA Cup Final that season earlier was the first full match I saw of an English league match. It was broadcast on ESPN, delayed of course, but I remember it being the same day. It was really the early days of this but there was competition as I knew a few Italian locations (home, restaurants, businesses) who had satellite and would watch Serie A matches live on RAI. But watching that FA Cup Final, which was was a dandy, really got me to enjoy Liverpool. I wasn't steeped in Haysel or Hillsborough at that time, so didn't have those negatives. But enjoyed Liverpool's attacking play. And that Ian Rush control and turn and score in extra time has been seared into my memory.

Edit - Yes, I know, FA is not English league. But you all know what I mean.

Phillyspur repped this.
  5. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    That Mitchell & Webb sketch always rang very true.

6. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    I think they will play the season out, whenever that is and carry on with the next season, probably by scrapping the League Cup. With the PL and all the money involved, the show must go on. And the English have a history of carrying on, regardless of the circumstances.

7. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    David Luiz is so, so shit.

EruditeHobo and electrickeeper repped this.
  8. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Well it's nice to know some things have remained the same since the lockdown - David Luiz is still shite and so is VAR.

9. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    the utilization of each is an indictment against its user.

10. Tim1975

Tim1975 Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
  11. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    A shit Arsenal side vs a mediocre Chelsea in the FA Cup final. As much as I dislike Jose if he can find whatever it is Spurs lack that Arsenal, Chelsea and United have that allow them to win things despite being crap it will be … well at least it will be different.

12. electrickeeper

electrickeeper The Ginger Pele
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chrissy Hughton in at Bristol City.

I love him, me.

pookspur repped this.
  13. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Me too. Thread-of-Famer, that Chris Hughton. I'd've taken him in a heartbeat to replace Poch.

Hell, I'd take him to replace our current manager, if I'm honest. Best of luck to him there.

electrickeeper repped this.
  14. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, Lampard...

15. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
  16. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Not surprised in the least. Wednesday are in a bad spot, even without the deduction. Very much on the outside looking in, but it really doesn't appear that Mr. Chansiri has a clue as to what he's doing.

17. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    A broken record, but just once I’d like to see Spurs have a shit season and finish with a trophy.

18. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least Spurs guaranteed Europe with that brilliantly meh performance v. Palace.

19. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    CL quarterfinals: Crooked City 1, Lyon 3, football's version of karma.

Deep Pal and BalanceUT repped this.
  20. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sterling, inside the 6 yard box....shots it over.

21. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't say these last couple of days have been sad for English clubs in Europe. Would like to have seen Wolves get further, but seeing the city of Manchester knocked out of Europe brings a bit of warmth.

And also chuckled at the news that if Pep does not resign his contract, Poch might replace him.

22. mekarshalev

mekarshalev Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    well, poch said he can never manage barca and arseanal

23. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eriksen...another finals loss.

24. mekarshalev

mekarshalev Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    basically...he downgraded - last year cl final, this year el final :ROFLMAO:

25. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    What do you guys think of Jermaine Jenas as match commentator? He reminded me of his playing days - not brilliant, but not awful.