I'm jumping in...

Discussion in 'Referee' started by heynowref, Oct 29, 2019.

1. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Well, I probably won't ever use the comms. Someone once told me "If you have never used comms, you should never use comms." With that mentality, once the last person who uses comms retires, no one will be left to use comms.

2. DefRef

DefRef Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Storrs CT
    I know I am late to the party, but this thread started with statement that ref was switching from hockey to soccer partially for health reasons. I find this strange. I played hockey for 20 years (27-47) and one of the things I always told people was how EASY old fart, non-checking hockey is on the body. The glide of skating versus the pounding of running. As long as your cardio could handle the load, it was an awesome, low impact workout.

I would be curious to hear how soccer reffing is "easier" than hockey reffing. Assuming you are running the 3-6 miles per game that you should be.

dadman repped this.
  3. Geko

Geko Member

Sacremento Geckos
    United States
    May 25, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably knees and back.

4. aevange8

aevange8 Member

Nov 25, 2003
    WNY
    THIS!

I bought a set and I primarily do HS matches. Not because I need them, but because refereeing is a fun hobby to me. If I can communicate with my crew, we get our decisions right more often and can share a joke or two to keep us engaged on what is going on. I did tell one of my ARs to shut up on a college match though, they were talking to someone on the sideline and it was distracting.

dadman and Ickshter repped this.
  5. DefRef

DefRef Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Storrs CT
    I would stipulate that hockey (playing anyway) is easier on the knees than reffing soccer. And equal on back. At least for me.

6. heynowref

heynowref Member

Aug 12, 2015
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    For me specifically it was a spinal cord injury I had to deal with. A fall on the ice could be (really, really) bad. A fall on the grass, not so much. I will hopefully go back to hockey as well but have to take at least a year of the ice.

Ickshter, voiceoflg and dadman repped this.