I'm in Kurt Morsink's Army

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by griffin1108, May 6, 2010.

1. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    I said it in the post-game thread, the guy deserves serious credit for fight, tenacity and generally son of a bitchness as directed against the opponents and the referees. He's not the most talented guy, but dammit he plays hard for the full 90 and that's what counts in my book. Kurt, I'm glad you're here.

2. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Will there be t-shirts?

You can't have an army without t-shirts.

3. Sockey

Sockey Member

Jan 13, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm in. He was putrid in the preseason, but since then I'm fully behind him for the reasons you mentioned.

4. AlecW81

AlecW81 Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's complete and utter garbage.

I'd take whomever is starting at MC for the Riverhounds or City Islanders over him.

5. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    While I agree that he is average at best, he does seem to be full of piss and vinegar, at least as far as his challenges are concerned. My biggest fault with him is his continued attempts at tackling by either sticking his leg out (and getting burned) or going to the ground and missing on the tackle (and getting burned). However, his desire to get "stuck in" is a welcome addition to a team that seems to be to passive when it comes to defense.

6. VercengetorixII

VercengetorixII New Member

May 2, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Lightning" Rod Dyachenko was complete and utter garbage. Kurt isn't good, but he fights and works like hell, and even though he's only been here for a little while I think it's clear that he's ready to give it all for the club. I admire that greatly, and even though I would probably prefer to see someone with a bit more attacking skill on the ball in his place, I do and will continue to support him.

There is a difference between being mediocre and useless and being mediocre and a fighter. Kurt is the latter.

7. AlecW81

AlecW81 Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's ABMOD without the talent or any endearing qualities.

8. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He's a fighter, reminds me of Benny

9. Untroubled by Reason

Dec 5, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The truth may be in here, maybe in between, kind of like toe jam.

Kurt Morsink is a hustling, scrapping midfield wrecking ball of a man who gets under his opponent's skin, and generally disrupts their flow. Unlike Ben Olsen (or even Richie Williams), he's not going to add to your attack, although he may help keep possession. Remember that yellow card that Smith got Wednesday night for kicking Morsink in the leg? Over the previous 80 or so minutes, Morsink had wound Smith up enough to basically take him out of his game. So we waste half a minute while Alex Prus put him in his notebook and got on with the restart.

He'll probably never have Olsen's skill, but he does seem to have quite a will to win. You need a Luca Brasi. You need a Kurt Morsink.

10. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He reminds me of Geoff Aunger, to be honest.

11. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    FLAG!!

You can't have an army without a flag

12. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Aunger wasn't afraid to tee one up from 30 yards. I'd like to see Morsink have a go.

13. ECU_SIMMS

ECU_SIMMS New Member

Oct 25, 2006
    i still cant frickin beleive we gave up jacobsen for this clown of a footballer... he tries to act like roy keane, but his skills, technique and vision are HORRIBLE. Seriously we cant string three passes together and this guy is one of the main reasons that is true.... I cant wait till burch is back and wallace takes morsinks place and THEN we will be able to actually get 4 or 5 passes strung together...

14. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    No, we gave up Jacobson in the expansion draft. It wasn't a trade with KC.

15. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Because Wallace is such a fine passer of the ball? :confused:

16. ECU_SIMMS

ECU_SIMMS New Member

Oct 25, 2006
    really? i guess you forgot how good this guy was last year... yes i think wallace is excellent passer, right now the entire team SUCKS at passing.. so pinning that on wallace is pretty unfair IMO.. put wallace on LA right now and i dont think you would be saying that

17. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I'm more concerned with Wallace's inability to track a runner.

18. ECU_SIMMS

ECU_SIMMS New Member

Oct 25, 2006
    you dont think they knew curt was bringing this guy with them.. and why they thought jacobsen was expendable.. or am I giving them to much credit

19. ECU_SIMMS

ECU_SIMMS New Member

Oct 25, 2006
    thats why he is out of place at left back... IMO, not saying that he would not have to track at CM, but you are not out there on an island as you are at LB

20. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Morsink was on KC's roster in preseason and wasn't waived until late February. The Expansion Draft was in November. In what universe would we think Onalfo was bringing him?

21. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Wallace was hard-working left mid last year, but passing was always a weakness of his. If you think he's excellent at it, OK. I have no response to that.

We've seen this year that defending is a weakness of his too, but that's not all his fault.

22. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Wow, you love conspiracies, don't you? Your timing is WAY off.

23. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I think Wallace is best suited for that left flank position. He does need to work on his crossing, but he's not alone there. His play as a defender has been shocking.

24. ECU_SIMMS

ECU_SIMMS New Member

Oct 25, 2006
    ok either way it was a bad move...

25. rrchemo

rrchemo New Member

Oct 27, 2008
    Seattle
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    When he showed up I looked him up in the KC blogs and it appears that all his reserve goals were from long distance shots. I wonder if he's scared to let it rip. With our offense right now I wonder why he doesn't give it a try.

What's funny is that talking to a buddy of mine who played with him at JMU he said that he actually was an attacking mid in college and of the 10 or so goals he'd score per season 3 or 4 were from outside the box.