I'm Getting Sick Of It

Discussion in 'Columbus Supporters Clubs' started by Legion04, Nov 14, 2004.

1. Chris_Bailey

Chris_Bailey Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I agree, and I don't think there should be a group for high-schoolers. I was with V-Army when I was in high school 4 years ago.

2. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    This thread is a microcosm of why I won't be involved in any supporters groups next season. And as for me quitting solely based on my wanting Andrulis to be fired, I'd say that you've only read one page of a very, very long list. Obviously that is part of it, but if I were to prioritize the reasons why I chose to step aside when I did, that would be very near the bottom.

3. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's embarrassing that some of you guys can very short-sighted.
    s

I could start taking jabs..I'm not going to go there.

I don't see anythign wrong with starting another group. We're all Crew fans. We all love our club. Thinking it's a stupid notion that people want to do something different then what you guys do is just ignorant.

4. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    I'm sorry but I'm calling bs here, Chelsey you're at the head of the pack when it comes to "I'm not going to play along because V-Army getting any positive credit is completely unexcusable."

And Legion04, although you were offered the chance to have a sit down with Kevin and myself to discuss your ideas, you never took it. Don't come here and moan on about "same old, same old" when you were given the opportunity to express your ideas but chose not to. Furthermore, you're claim about resources began and ended at many of our pocketbooks. Although Jim Smith towards the end of his tenure that eased our financial outlay, V-Army has always been funded in part by members, but on the whole directly out of the wallet of a couple.

You two have done nothing but strengthen my opinion that you will probably never achieve anything great amongst fans at CCS. Why? Legion04 put it so well, "-I like being in control, leading is something I like to do, I could therefore put my ideas into action." Sooner or later you'll come to realize that you can't have 15 cooks in the kitchen. And the sad truth is, many of you that have posted in this thread see it as inconcievable that the head chef be a member of V-Army.

5. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When did I say this? I think V-Army is due plenty of credit. They're the main supporter group for Crew, and have been a loud presence in the stadium for years. No one's denying that V-Army has done some great supporting and will probably continue to do so.

If you want a flippin plaque that says this, I can get you one, dude.

Why is it so hard for you to wrap your pretty little head around the fact that some fans don't really dig V-Army and thus don't want them leading them ANYWHERE?

Nick's full of some great ideas, and if he and his friends want to carry them out, why the hell shouldn't they be allowed to?

Because they're not V-Army?

Listen. I don't see where you're argument lies. We all realize that you have sacrificed much to support Crew. I think many of us have. But to be like: "Oh, it's stupid to be starting a group when V-Army is already here"..that's just not cool.

Dc has three big groups. Why can't Crew? You've always said we have a massive club. Shouldn't a "massive" club have multiple supporter groups?

6. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    Let's be realistic, there aren't enough numbers in Columbus to have three supporters groups, it's just that simple. I can tell you from experience that while you'll get tons of support from people sitting behind keyboards, very few of them actually donate anything tangible. And while I'm sure Legion04 is a nice enough guy, after reading posts #11 and #12 I doubt very much that I'd be breaking my back to contact him if I were in V-Army.

My advice, don't use Chicago or DC, even LA as a model by which you try to function. You don't have the ethnic population. While I encourage everyone to dream a bit, and be ambitious, I think it'd be one hell of an achievement if you consistently had 100 total people chanting together in section 137.

7. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Contradict yourself, much?

I think it basically comes down to a lot of the basic social concerns that a lot of fans don't want to join V-Army.

Maybe you were too blind to see them when you leading the group. I don't know.

Maybe you think I'm a bitch for pointing this out. I don't particularly care, since I basically have the same opinion of you.

You were the leader. Leadership reflects on the whole group. Did you ever think that if MANY Crew fans think you're a complete a$$, they might just not want to join your group, no matter how dedicated they are?

I brought my friends to sit with V-Army last year. While it was "funny", not one of them got any urge to join up with you folks.

I brought about the same group to sit with the Legion this year. Nick and others introduced themselves and were quite friendly. Enjoyable atmosphere, while on the small side, still I know after sitting with them, my friends asked if we were going to sit in 138 again.

No don't think this has anything to do with validation. It doesn't. I just wanted to use an example of what I meant by social concerns.

8. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    chelsey, how many times have you and I spoke face to face?

9. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Babes, what difference does that make? That frankly doesn't cut any ice with me.

I read what's on here, when I can, and I take what people say as a reflection of who they are. Please don't give me any bs about "personas" or what-not.

I post as I am. Me. Chelsey. I talk like I post. I think like I post. Hell, I've had quite a few Crew fans just come up to me randomly and ask me if I was Chelsey.

MAYBE, you don't represent yourself accurately on these here boards. I don't know. But, hun, you might want to reconsider doing that. Just a friendly suggestion from me to you.

10. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    Thanks for the advice. Either way, I wish everyone luck. I hope that you can find successes.

11. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your welcome.

I apologize if I said anything too harsh.. I'm sure you're just a peach in person. You just don't come off that way.

And I'm sure the Northend will miss your presence next season. I know your enthusiasm could be seen and heard throughout the stadium.

12. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    thanks for the kind words.

13. Legion04

Legion04 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Arlington, Virginia
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow :). Zak, I don't believe that we have ever spoken in person with each other. I do recall seeing you at games however.

First, yes, I do regret not meeting with you to discuss the future of support behind the goal. One of the key problems was that after you left, V-Army went out of control. From my perspective, there was no sense of command or organization what so ever. Peter and Mike mentioned it at the supporters club meeting in August. They said that V-Army was going through a "changing-of-the-guard." Now, there are people, that I do know and speak with regularly inside of V-Army. Particularly Peter and Mike.

Early in the season, current Legion members stood with V-Army, myself being one of them. My biggest frustrations were that there was too much profanity and that V-Army wasn't thinking progressively. Every game was the same as the one before it. Due to these motives I broke away and formed Legion 04.

If you do decide to come back for any reason, I would enjoy speaking with you...in person. Though we're small, we have spent the majority of matches since May 29th (the night we were officially founded) working very well with V-Army.

Eggy, this thread is embarrasing, because it's a wake-up call.

14. ripman88

ripman88 New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Co lum bus
    There was a guy at the US match last night from Chicago and he listed off like 7 or 8 groups they have there. That's a hell of a lot of people and I don't see the Crew with that many people. I know I just kinda started this year, but that's how I've seen it. I don't know why there isn't that kind of following, but there isn't.

15. ripman88

ripman88 New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Co lum bus
    Maybe I just have been missing it or not paying attention or something, but what have the Legion and V-Army done together? I'm really not trying to start anything here, I'm just wondering.

16. 10 fan

10 fan New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    United States
    One thing I know of is the jersey flag.

One positive from this year- OSU students are starting to show up in bigger numbers.

17. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They also pick up on our chants.

18. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're also coming in the summer, when college isn't in session. And this is nothing but a good thing.

19. ripman88

ripman88 New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Co lum bus
    oooo ok. I didn't think of that. I really didn't think of it as a V-Army thing.

20. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS

Awwwww Chelsey did your feelings get hurt?

21. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS

Errrr....no it's not. Do you think you're the first teenager to rush to his keyboard and give some William Wallace speech about supporting a soccer team on a messageboard?

I've seen this go on since your mom was out buying your Elmer's school glue and you were cutting animal shapes out of colored construction paper.

22. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eggy, be nice to the children, stop taking away their lollypops.

23. Robb W

Robb W New Member

Jan 31, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I don't think the bigsoccer message boards are a true reflection of how people are in real life. They amplify people's personalities, and the way it's all set up (with all teams having seperate boards, everyone standing for something) breeds some competitiveness, attitude, and territoriality.

That being said, as someone who has been on these boards since 1999 but has never been affiliated with any of these supporter groups, I would like to come to the defense of Zak (although he may not need or want it), and say that the time I met him (and other V-Army members) on a trip to DC a couple years ago, he was not a "complete a$$." In fact he was very friendly.

So basically my point is that while some people may be able to represent themselves accurately on these boards, not everyone does or even tries to.

24. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    again thanks for the kind words. I think the tendancy on a message board is for things to get blown way out of proportion, and often times to be completely exagerated. Combine that with my affinity for winding up people that take things that they read here far to seriously, and you have a recipe for potential disaster. My argument has always been that any internet messageboard that you might visit, are based very little on reality. Furthermore you should take everything you read here with a grain of salt. That's why I'm always astounded when I speak to some friends after they have read Bigsoccer, how worked up they tend to get.

25. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I'm pretty much a grouch in real life...