Illinois State Cup U17 boys

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by FIRETILIDIE, Mar 7, 2011.

1. chitownseadog

chitownseadog Member

Dec 21, 2006
    that's a shame because if you love the game you should be able to enjoy it at all levels

2. y.o.n.k.o

y.o.n.k.o Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I agree, but sadly that is not the case at State Cup games. Don't blame me, blame it on the obsession people have with winning that competition.;)

TBH, every year I hope to see something better and every year I'm left disappointed, saying to myself that I would not bother watching next year. But I keep coming back for more with hope for better things. Maybe I'm a masochist? LOL:D

3. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Magic North (GIRLS) has a great U17 team - they are in there. I understand theU14 North team is as well but I have yet to verify that.

4. UofIneedssoccer

Nov 3, 2009
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
  5. y.o.n.k.o

y.o.n.k.o Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Disturbance in the force? Drama? At the Fire/Fire Jrs? You don't say.....;)

Yeah, I'm sure this article by Larry will heat up the board.

Maybe he is right, maybe he isn't. IMO, there are some things he has written that I don't like. But there are some other things which I do like. For example I like this:

"Winning should come as a by-product of good soccer development…at some point."

However, my question is at what point and how do we know it is the "right point"? What is a good soccer development? Different people may have different definitions of it, no?

On the flip side, I don't like his last statement:

"If we want to WIN a World Cup or develop MLS into a world class professional league we have to begin to develop winning soccer players – not just soccer players."

1. Developing winning soccer players who win at youth level doesn't guarantee winning a WC nor does it give you a better chance to do so. Take for example the Portuguese generation of Figo and R.Costa. There have been plenty of Nations that have done well at winning a youth WCs but that same generation hasn't won a WC or EC at senior level.

2. To make MLS into a world-class pro league, we need to develop BETTER soccer players than the ones we have or currently develop. "Winning soccer players" aren't necessarily "better soccer players" or "well developed soccer players".

On additional note, last year I saw one game each for U16 Fire DA and U18 Fire DA, playing against the same opposition DA. The U18s played better IMO and many people who have seen both age groups more often than me, have told me the same - the U18s were playing better soccer. I guess some people's definition of "good soccer" is different than Larry's.

p.s. Maybe this is going completely off topic and deserves its own thread. Let the heating up of the board begin.....:D

6. so1mio

so1mio Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Lake Zurich
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    1 person likes this.