IHOP vs Waffle House

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by M9fanatic, Apr 2, 2003.

1. michael greene

Oct 31, 2002
    You bring up an excellent point. Notice how Goldilocks didn't go to IHOP or Waffle house, but hit the Three Bears' house? Why? Because they were cooking up porridge with whole milk, the way it should be made.

I rest my case.

I should have stated to use real grits and to cook on the stove, no matter what you use to make them. My bad.

2. Attacking Minded

Attacking Minded New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Bunch of damned idiots on BS.

Waffle House.

I want breakfast not sugar. I can get plenty of sugar in my tea, thank you very much. If I want breakfast, I want Waffle House.

If I want stuffed bread I'll move to France.

Only a Yankee would eat grits plain. No, make that only a stupid Yankee. Grits should be eaten with bacon, cheese or both. It’s corn meal for Gawsh sakes. You take your drippings from last night and whatever leftover meat you may have and put it in your grits, idiots. If you have no meat then use cheese.

Breakfast should consist of eggs, grits and bacon or sausage. Those are the choices.

If you want a breakfast cereal with some taste then get Yankee grits, a.k.a. oatmeal. Put your damned razins in it too. But what are you going to do with your drippings then? Eat them plain? Like I said a bunch of idiots.

If I want ambiance then fine, IHOP it is with that sticky syrup over everything. If I want breakfast, a cigarette and to get off to work then I want Waffle House.

All you all would probably go get your biscuits at McDonalds.

Why were on it, you milk cows and eat pigs. Only a Yankee would use his source of milk for lunch. You ever get a cow to eat your garbage? If you raise cows to eat then you lose your milk and have lots of garbage.

Bunch of damned idiots on BS.

3. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm not even sure what you're saying here, but dairy cows aren't killed for their meat.

4. JRstriker12

JRstriker12 New Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Falls Church, VA
    IHOP

They don't like the brothers too much over at the Waffle House.

5. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn, son. Who put the bug up your ass?

6. Attacking Minded

Jun 22, 2002
    Just having fun.

7. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. SankaCofie

SankaCofie Member

Aug 8, 2000
    Skorgolia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    i'm all for southern things... but not waffle house. kind of like willie's tamale factory makes good sandwhiches but terrible tameles... waffle house makes good melts and pancakes.. but no good waffles.
    and no selection.
    but then its all a mood thing anyway... waffle house has more charm.

the one area in which the south dominates the north is fast food. Burger King crushes McDonalds, and Krystal Burgers wipe the floor with White Castle.

9. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    and you would be their appointed leader?

IHOP - no contest

awful house does have a good patty melt and hashbrowns though

and anybody in atlanta or birmingham who goes to AH when original pancake house is open is fooling themselves

10. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    this is just ridiculous - krystal has the good fries but whiteys rule in every other area - krystal burgers may well have been used to wipe a floor - at white castle they show you the burgers cooking on that beautiful bed of onions

and if the south is so great, where are the jack in the boxes, del tacos, and some more steak 'n' shakes?

besides almost everything has coca cola - BLEEECH!

11. SankaCofie

SankaCofie Member

Aug 8, 2000
    Skorgolia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    pagan.

kyrstal burgers are the food of the gods.
    STEAK AND SHAKE??? blech. orlando has a few of those, they're no good. (coincidentally i live close to the original steak and shake.. it closed.. probably cuz everyone realize how terrible it is) strak and shake is worse than dennys.

12. SuperElf

SuperElf Member

Jul 16, 1999
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you.

A) There is no debate here. Waffle House has some of the greatest breakfast options on earth. Cheesesteak Omlette with a double order of hash browns, covered and chunked? And I would prefer three pancakes with apples on top because . . .??

B) Here is an easy guide for you hyper-intellectual Yankees to make your grits tasty. Select at LEAST one (preferably more) item(s) from column 1 and 2, add them PLENTIFULLY to your grits, then eat:

Column 1:
    Bacon, Cheese, Butter

Column 2:
    Brown Sugar, Maple Syrup, Honey, Frosting from a sticky bun (try it - trust me)

There. All layed out like an Emeril recipie. I don't know ANY way to make bad grits following that simple formula. If you were a normal person, (read: a southerner) you wouldn't need it spelled out for you. You'd just dump a bunch of leftovers in there, and a half a stick of butter for taste.

C) I am VERY confused as to how IHOP is getting so many votes, assuming that people are voting rationally, and they have actually been to a Waffle House and NOT ordered something stupid, like a cup of Earl Grey and a bowl of plain grits. If you have had a real Waffle House breakfast, there is no real comparison. And yes, I've spent 9 long, miserable years of my life in the north, and I'm not just basing my opinions on one trip to a crummy IHOP or something.

13. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Waffle House..

I like em scattered, smothered, and covered.

And that's just the waitresses. ;)

Girlfriend votes for IHOP though...

Sachin

14. Attacking Minded

Jun 22, 2002
    SuperElf, I think most BS posters would rather stay up late and eat at IHOP than get up on time and eat at Waffle House. So if you are looking for a late night snack then maybe IHOP. Hands down the better breaksfast is at Waffle House.

15. SankaCofie

SankaCofie Member

Aug 8, 2000
    Skorgolia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    EXACTLY.

16. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What, no Bickford's in your area?

Prof

17. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    No one goes to IHOP. They just end up there because they got lost on the way to Waffle House.

Or they're dumb************ yankees.

Sachin

18. Jayhawk

Jayhawk New Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Haven't read the whole thread, but so far I haven't seen anyone mention the greatest attribute of Waffle House: you can see them make it. Just seeing that basket of eggs makes me hungrier (I like eggs) and the hash browns (smothered and chunked) are the best anywhere. Those hashbrowns with a ham & cheese omlette or even a Texas cheesesteak & egg cannot be beat when one is a bit baked. And if you're REALLY baked, you can get both! Yummmmm.

19. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
  20. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D

21. stanleyt

stanleyt Member

Dec 7, 1998
    Harlem, USA
    Dude, do you still put white-out on the screen when you misspell words?:D

22. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    No, they're not, but I don't think that was the big picture issue. I think (and I could be wrong) he's saying that pork beats beef for eatin'. Like my neighbor Maybelle Jean used to say before she had that massive stroke, "Y'ain't et 'til y'et some hawg!"

Waffle House, hands down. IHOP only for pancakes. And whoever said that bit about seeing the eggs in the basket has a point.

Maczebus, Nicodemus is right. "puh-KAHN" is the correct pronunciation. Northerners can tell you how to pronounce words like "calzone", "cosa Nostra", and "croissant", but pecans (and the pies that validate their existence as a species) are best left to us.

23. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was working on a construction site and had just quit for lunch. Passed a carpenter sitting on a stack of plywood and he offered me a bit of his sandwich (as a reward for turning off the air compressor that ran my jackhammer, which everybody hated because it was so noisy). I tasted it: it was real good, and I said so. He gave me this great big grin and said "Thass the best pig you evah gone eat, son. I just kilt that pig this Sat-dee."

24. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    There ya go. Now you must broaden your horizons even more. Rabbit, then squirrel, then possum. Muscadine wine (or RC Cola, if you can find it) to wash any of these down.

I used to coach at a metro Atanta high school with an enormous international population (school is probably 65% Somali/Ethiopian/Eritrean/Bosnian/Vietnamese), and on game days, I would grab a burger before getting on the bus. One whopper doesn't go far after three or four players have asked for a bite. Well, I fixed that problem by switching to ham. Most of my boys were Islamic, and didn't eat pork.

"Hey, Coach, can I get bite of sandwich?"

"I don't know, Mohammed. Can you?"

(rolls eyes)"May I have bite of sandwich?"

"Yes, you may, but it's a BLT. You probably don't want any."

"See... you wrong, Coach. You had whopper on Tuesday."

25. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    i think its cute that lil ol southerners can be so proud of mangling a perfectly good language

btw furniture store owners: its a bedroom SUITE not suit for cryin' out loud