IHOP vs Waffle House

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by M9fanatic, Apr 2, 2003.

1. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    Well I love IHOP.
    But for so long I've heard raves about how Waffle House is the best thing to happen to breakfast that I must say I was disappointed when I got the chance to try it. There aren't any Waffle House's up north (or at least not any in Illinois). But when I when down south I noticed that you can't throw a rock without hitting a damned Waffle House.

Given the name I thought this joint would have awesome waffles. Not so. The menu is tiny compared to IHOP and the waffles are sad. The blueberry topping I got on mine was actually kinda nasty.
    Although I know y'all are mighty fond of their hash browns.... scattered, diced, smothered and.....

Anyway I'm probably starting a another Civil War with this one. Fire Away.

2. piper

piper New Member

IHOP all the way.

3. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Cracker Barrel!

4. melbrown

melbrown New Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Waffle House.

It's all about the chicken and eggs.
    Add some scattered and smothered hashbrowns and the best coffee around and you've got yourself some serious eating.

And if you order waffles, you have to get the pecan (that's PEE-CAN for all you northerners) waffles. No other waffles come close.

5. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Yes, the Pecan Waffles are the only reason to go to Waffle House at all.

But all around, IHOP is better. The buttermilk pancakes are phenomenal. Plus, Waffle Houses always feel slightly closer to "fast food" to me.

6. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    IHOP's selection of pancakes is incredible. I always order something different. Last time i tried the stuffed French Toast. Pretty good.

Question for you Waffle House people? Are their grits genuine? I mean is that the way they are supposed to taste? Being a yankee I never had them before my visit to Waffle House. Bowl 'O Snot is what it was. Ew!

7. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Member

Mar 5, 2001
    Damn Waffle House won't take credit cards....

9. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    :D

I tried grits at a restaurant up here in Seattle. Tasted like pulverized and jellied cardboard to me, even after introducing artery-destroying amounts of butter and syrup to it. I suppose if I'd grown up with it ...

10. odg78

odg78 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    North Carolina
    For the food, I'll take IHOP everytime. The reason Waffle House is so great is because it has this great sketchy, Southern, been out all night drinking vibe to it.

11. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    well said...

12. zpjohnstone

zpjohnstone Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Waffle House (or Waffle Steak it is often branded in the midwest) is my favorite. I'm only there for the hashbrowns though- scattered, smothered, covered, chunked, and diced. Basically that means no chili.

All grits, on their own accord kind of suck . . . See, they're more like a delivery mechanism for butter or cheese and salt and pepper.

Oh yeah, don't underestimate the value of the waffle house jukebox either- I can't tell you the names of the songs, but they usually have a section of waffle house themed songs about cofee and waffles and other such stuff.

13. _chachi

_chachi New Member

Mar 15, 1999
    new jersey, usa
    i've never been to either one of those fine establishments. when ever i'm in the mood for some greasy breakfast, i hit denny's. it doesn't get any better than moons over my hammy.

14. TheWakeUpBomb

TheWakeUpBomb Member

Mar 2, 2000
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    If I wanted good grits, I would never go to Waffle House - unless, of course, nothing else was open.

15. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I detest IHOP. I've been to them in many different cities, so it isn't just the skanky one down the street from me that sucks. Yeah, Waffle House is sketchy, but at least it's consistent.

Also, Waffle House has jukeboxes with songs about Waffle House in them. Suck on that IHOP!

16. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    There is a brand new IHOP near REI (my second job). Hmmm...I have to work at the store tonight...I wonder if I should stop in there afterwards. Those stuffed waffles look damn good!!!
    :eek::eek:

17. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    So the Bowl 'O Snot thing is particular only to Waffle House?

18. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    No, that's pretty much all grits. I mean, if you weren't raised on them, it's hard to get used to. The consistency usually stays about the same. Some are a little stiffer, some are a little more runny.

==

But honestly, IHOP is better than Waffle House food wise. But then again, if I'm going out with someone to chat over a meal (like a 3-4 hour non stop bitch a thon) I will always choose waffle house over Denny's or IHOP. Not to mention if I'm just looking for a quick egg-grits-sausage breakfast, nothing beats WH. Especially for the price.

And honestly, since WH was created in the South (and aimed at its residents) you're not going to find a lot of pancakes with whipped cream, choco chip pancakes, crepes, or anything like that. It's meat, eggs, grits, hashbrowns, coffee and toast. Which I would say is the main breakfast foods of most southerners.

And yes, it definately has that 'drunk and back from the club' feel to it.

So, go to IHOP and Denny's for the food. But if you want to kick back and chat with friends for hours on end (without going broke) and/or get a pretty basic breakfast, go to Waffle House.

19. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Well I went to IHOP tonight and had their stuffed French Toast sampler meal. Good stuff. Although the night was more or less ruined by some bitch yapping on her cell phone a table away. Man was that hag loud.

The service was not as good as I am use to in the restaurants I frequent in downtown Boise but overall I would give it a 3 on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best.

The best breakfast spot in Boise is shared by two places...Moon's across from my office and Elmer's near my alma mater.

20. TheWakeUpBomb

TheWakeUpBomb Member

Mar 2, 2000
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    No, you can get bad grits anywhere.

I disagree with the poster below you who says all grits are pretty much the same. They're not.

21. thegoofy1

thegoofy1 New Member

Dec 8, 2001
    Denver, CO
    I gotta say I voted for denny's, yes I am a freak. We don't have IHOPs here that I know of, and have only been there once, and it wasn't very good. The waffle house near me is TERRIBLE, even worse than the one for us college kids out partying. *shrug* So I'll stick with Dennys.

22. dearprudence

dearprudence Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Chi-town
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Must a choice really be made? You can make a stellar arguement for either place - but not Denny's. Denny's just sucks.

Grits are just too fattening to really enjoy properly - unless they're the cheesy ones. Yummy! The real difference between the North & the South is that Southerners laugh their backends off while watching Yankees try to clean a pan that had grits in it! :)

23. evilcrossbar

evilcrossbar New Member

Jan 19, 2002
    I voted for the Waffle House, when I go to these greasy spoon places when I've got that drunken hunger so I want greasy fatty food, screw the pancakes and the carbs.

Waffle House, I like their melts with grits all the way.

IHOP - again, I don't much care for pancakes.

Denny's - sucks, their famous 20 second eggs, undercooked and runny as hell. Conversely, I once placed an order for 2 eggs over well (see above), after waiting an ungodly time asked what the problem was. They said that they couldn't do the eggs since THEY WERE HAVING TROUBLE WITH THEIR COMPUTER!! I mean, WTF, if you operation closes down because of computer glitches than you don't deserve to be mentioned in the greasy spoon hall of fame.

For people who live in Florida an honorable mention has to go with the Clock Restaurants "Always open" perfect for that drunken hunger.

24. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    When I'm drunk I crave sweet stuff. The Srawberry filled crepes at IHOP are so damn good.

I did try that texas melt at Waffle House though. Not bad.

25. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Waffle House rules over all other.