Ignore the blah, blah, blah - the Paul Pogba thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Aug 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    he's the best passer in the world for me. at the very least top 5. certainly in terms of spectrum of range.

even if we're "stuck" with him or him with us. that passing is invaluable

2. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  3. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  4. Red Jeph

Red Jeph Member+

Aug 26, 2006
    Chicago
    Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 repped this.
  5. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

benni... repped this.
  6. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I was reading a thread on twitter the other day and someone compared him to multiple players. Really, the only way to sum up his game is to bring up 3 or 4 elite midfielders.

I think that to an extent, I've fallen into the same trap about him not dictating play. I find myself wanting more control from him but the hardest thing to do in football is create chances. In any functional team, he creates plenty.

I watched a few comps and while they obviously show him at his best, there's just not another player who can do what he does. Yaya Toure power with Zidane dribbling and Xabi long passing. He's just nuts to watch. I've decided I'm just gonna enjoy watching him, stay or go.

girrdib repped this.
  7. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Consistency. What he's missing is consistency. If he finds that, he's the best midfielder in the world. Because like you said, nobody has the range of abilities he has.

jnielsen repped this.
  8. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    It's got to come now and next season. If we sign as we're expecting/hoping this coming window, then the (justifiable IMO) excuse that he's had to Weekend at Bernie's our entire attacking buildup over the past 3 years no longer exists. He's got to string good performances together now we aren't asking him to do it all alone.

9. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Bruno may be the best thing we ever did for Pogba. Bruno seems like more of an alpha that wants demands the ball and takes center stage. That's probably the best for Pogba and he seems to play his best when you leave him alone, take the spotlight off him, and let him so his thing.

10. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It wasn't that long ago Pogba led united in like 12 out of 15 attacking/creative metrics. Nobody can do it every game. I think the biggest problem is that as a team, we lack structure, shape and any coherent pattern to our play. We require hero ball.

11. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm back, y'all!
    upload_2020-6-24_16-15-56.png

12. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://sportwitness.co.uk/france-paul-pogba-now-swimming-happiness-man-united-everything-changed/

The top priority, pretty much on par with incoming transfers, has to be coming to an agreement with Pogs over a new contract. He's been absolutely excellent since his return, looks to be happy and has apparently struck an immediate understanding with Bruno.
    A far different picture from earlier this season, when it looked almost certain he'd be off this summer. Covid has a beneficial impact here as well. In the end, Pogs, more than anything, wanted to be in a place where he felt he could compete. With Bruno's arrival and the emergence of others this season, he can reasonably feel it to be the case (for the first time since his first year at the club).
    Still more to be done though, but if Pogs can tied down to a long term contract, that would be a major win for the club and another factor putting United back on the road to success and respectability.

13. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pogs sporting a new trim #MyBrother #BLM
    upload_2020-7-4_9-45-10.png

MiamiNative0722 and girrdib repped this.
  14. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    'There is a theory among some of Solskjaer's coaching staff that United's problems in midfield under Jose Mourinho and during the early part of the Norwegian's reign made Pogba regress. Weighed down with the expectation that he had to be creator-in-chief, he would often try too hard and sometimes see things that were not there. Pogba would be reprimanded by Mourinho for losing the ball, not "smelling danger" and letting opposition runners breeze past him.'

https://www.espn.com/soccer/english...e-partnership-that-solskjaer-can-build-around

Is it any wonder that he became increasingly disillusioned and unhappy at the club? Add in the fact that he had little support and it's no surprise he had enough and wanted to leave.
    Everywhere we look now (be it in games, in training or in the dressing room) he clearly looks like a new man, a much happier man. The club has to keep doing its part though (by not resting on their laurels this summer for starter).
    Keep him smiling and the team winning and we can be reasonably optimistic he'll be signing a new contract at some point.

15. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Just beginning but at least that would confirm the reports that he's very much open to stay at the club. Get it done, Woodward.

16. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The thing that pisses me off about the Pogba apologists now is they are seeking to 'excuse' his underperformance under Mou or the start of Ole's time. Pogba wasn't underperforming. You cannot ask 1 man to be an entire midfield and when he's not able to boss it physically, control the tempo, create chances and score himself. That's not underperforming.

In any job, one of the things an employee needs to know is "what does success in this position look like." For Pogba, it seems he can only be successful if the team is playing well, scoring lots of goals and he's dominant. There's not a single midfielder you could put in our team in place of Pogba prior to Bruno's arrival that could have changed our fortunes. We didn't have a functioning midfield, attack or defence!

Now everyone is making it like if Pogba has to be happy in order to play well, when the truth is there were circumstances beyond his control AND he was tearing it up during that time as well. Shit pisses me off.

17. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    https://www.manutd.com/en/news/deta...elping-man-utd-to-try-to-get-a-top-four-place

Pogs is happier now and contemplating extending his stay because he finally has some real help and appears to be in a team that is going places.
    As effective as he was before, this is sure to make him an even better player. More consistent one as well since he's fully aware it won't all fall on him to keep the team ticking along.

jnielsen repped this.
  18. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I would be depressed too if I had to play under Jose and I had any creative talent.

johno repped this.
  19. Pulp

Pulp Member+

Feb 13, 2013
    TO / CA
    Pretty funny when you see how clearly Mourinho has mismanaged talent and then look at his prime Chelsea teams. Those squads had talent, but were first and foremost known for their brute strength. Robben was probably their most talented player back then.

20. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Drogba Lampard Essien Robben Cech Terry Ballack were all world-class. 5 of them were big/physical and could run all day. Even then SAF come up with a counter to that team with pace movement and interchangeability.

jnielsen repped this.
  21. Pulp

Pulp Member+

Feb 13, 2013
    TO / CA
    I'll always maintain that John Terry is one of the most overrated players of his era. Essien was class though. Still upset we never signed him from Lyon.

topnoevili and Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 repped this.
  22. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Sure overrated does not mean you were not good. Terry was definitely top 10 in his peak.

23. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    WC is too much thoughTerry wasn't that. he just had really sound structure around him and didn't bring the team down.

as for Pogba the favourite trivial analysis tagline of "lazy" has disappeared now even though he's doing less. funny thing that.

95% of people didn't understand how he works or that historically he was never THE man in any team but was still important. nothing wrong with that either. doesn't make him any less elite.

it was just so "lazy" to look at his price tag and expect him to be the Swiss army knife for the team

girrdib and johno repped this.
  24. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MiamiNative0722 repped this.
  25. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Amazing how Utd sign a competent midfielder and everything looks so much better

Maybe the pundit class blaming the only elite midfielder you had for all the problems was nonsense

johno, girrdib, Futbol_Head and 2 others repped this.