If You Were Ferguson...

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by billyireland, Apr 18, 2006.

1. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    TBH, I think that is more of a reason that they are getting him than anything else - so nobody else can have him. People have said that before about them & other players, but this time I fully believe it.

2. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm with you on this one, I mean, it doesn't take an analyst to know Chelsea don't need him. Hell, even if they needed another midfielder in their starting eleven they could just look to their bench. I have no idea where Mourinho is planning to play him. Also, its a smart move on his behalf, he realized Michael's value and that it could work against him if other teams like us or any possible CL competing teams would acquire him. :rolleyes: :(

3. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    TBH, there are some real upsides about Pedersen over Vicente. He is Premiership-proven, he doesn't carry any injury worries, he is getting better and better all the time (whereas Vicente hasn't been as good as he was for 2 years, imo) and he doesn't seem to have any ego problems to speak of (Vicente doesn't really either, but his 'not wanting' to come here in the past has turned me off a good deal). A few other minor other bonuses are that Pedersen speaks English already (does Vicente?), wouldn't mind rainy Manchester (Blackburn is the same), and would also be more likely to go 'under the radar' moreso than Vicente, meaning less chance of a bidding war.

I just really think he would fit in absolutely fantastically here, and that we should go for a winger. I have constantly said that while I like Park as a player and believe there is a place for him at the club, that place is probably no. 3 winger. If we had Ronaldo, Pedersen and Park to choose from, not only would we have three quality wingers, but three that all offer something very different from one another. After quality, the first thing I look for on the wings is diversity since it makes life sssooooo much harder on opposing backlines. Imagine dealing with the crisp play of Pedersen on one wing, and the explosiveness of Ronaldo on another (esp. if theyare switchign wings). By the 70-75th minute you would be knackered, but hoping they would slow down about. Then comes a raging little Korean who just won't. stop. running. :D

4. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also.. Pederson is a real winger unlike the other two is he not? So is Vincente, but that is just another thing he adds.

I would say... (to steal some from billy, sorry man)

OuT
    Fortune (already announced... free, est. £30k/wk wages)
    Bellion (already announced... free, est. £15k/wk wages)
    Miller (est. 500k transfer, est. £40k/wk wages)
    Silvestre (est. £3.5mn transfer, est. £60k wages)
    Howard (est. £3mn transfer, est. £30k/wk wages)

IN
    Morten Gamst Pedersen (£13mn transfer, £60k/wk wages)
    Mahamadou Diarra (£24mn transfer, £80k/wk wages)
    Jean-il Makoun (£9mn transfer, £40k/wk wages)

Ok.. so the math doesn't add up.. but thats what I would like to see. :D Maybe get rid of O'Shea and Richardson then to get the math right.

5. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Out:
    Howard 1
    Silvestre 3.5
    Richardson 1.5
    Miller .3
    Bellion .7 (it said fee undisclosed, they must have paid SOMETHING)
    Fletcher 1.5
    O'Shea 3

In:
    Gago 17M
    Makoun 7.5M
    Pederson 10M or Stuart Downing 5M

6. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I were Ferguson, I'd call up Mourinho and say, "Hey Joe-zay, which would you rather be, the best football manager in the world, or get mad cow disease? I'm a worrier, I worry about that kind of stuff, Joe-zay." Then I'd hang up the phone and have Darren bring me another pina colada.

Just kidding. You know what I'd actually do? Two chicks at the same time.

7. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These are our mods, ladies and gentlemen!

8. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You need to learn to walk before you can run.

9. Alan_V

Alan_V Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Anaheim, CA via NJ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scary thought, that. :D

10. MtP07

MtP07 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2005
    :D :D :D Reeeped!

That was wrong VR.

11. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wrong but true. Point taken. :D

12. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

13. Charleysurf

Charleysurf Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    OUT
    Fortune (already announced... free, est. £30k/wk wages)
    Bellion (already announced... free, est. £15k/wk wages)
    Miller (est. 500k transfer, est. £40k/wk wages)
    Silvestre (est. £3.5mn transfer, est. £60k wages)
    Howard (est. £1.5 mn transfer, est. £30k/wk wages)
    Richardson (est. £4 mn transfer, est. £30k/wk wages)

IN
    Aaron Lennon (£12mn transfer, £60k/wk wages)
    George Boateng (free transfer, £80k/wk wages)
    Jean Makoun (£9mn transfer, £40k/wk wages)

My assumption is that while Diarra would be a great fit at United, Lyon will look for too much money for him.
    George Boateng is a good solid player that would be available free and would solve our DM issues for a season or two. Middlesborough have been much better since he came back.
    Jean Makoun will give United a bit of craft in midfield. With David Jones and Darron Gibson coming through, and Paul Scholes hopefully returning, we may find ourselves in a decent position as regards midfield.

I am not sure about Morten Gamst-Pedersen. To me he often does not seem to contribute in games but will then pop up with a goal and he suddenly seems like a great player. The fact is that United looked at him before Blackburn did, so I do not see Fergie paying a huge premium to Blackburn because United did not take him last year.

I think we do need another winger as I see us selling Richardson. I don't think he is good enough for United. Aaron Lennon would be a great addition to the squad although he would cost as Spurs fans seem to love him. Those stories that he was unhappy living in London would give me hope that United could get him.

I've some money left over but I'm not sure what to do with it. Maybe someone like Mascherano could be bought instead of Boateng but I have not seen enough of him to judge.

We could also spend it ona striker as I am not sure about Ruuds long term future and we can not trust Saha to stay injury free. Not many strikers of United quality are apparent though. I think Defoe would do a decent job but he is inconsistent and maybe does not hold up the ball as well as Ruud and Saha.

14. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    you want to pay Boatang 80k a week :confused:

He's not worth half that.

15. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    This year I'm not really excited by any player except Carrick so unless he comes it's all a shrug of the shoulders to me this window.

I'm far more excited by Jones and Rossi then any outside forces we may bring in.

16. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a little ashamed because it was too easy. However, Achtung has mentioned his "success" with the ladies many times, so I feel justified.

17. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And to think I just positive repped you this morning.

To be fair, there have been successes, just few that didn't involve alcohol. More valuable than gold, that stuff.

Really I just wanted to be cutting edge with my Office Space quote.

18. Charleysurf

Charleysurf Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm assuming that if we got him on a free transfer ,as he is out of contract this Summer, then you need to pay him bigger wages. Maybe 60k is a better figure. Supposedly he turned down an offer of 40k from 'Boro'.

19. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely.

But what do you think Rossi will do for us next year? Will he be a supersub? Will he have to make a Scholes-like move to the midfield?

20. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Isn't he like 31 now or something? Plus, 60k and above here means you're big time. Boatang is not 'big time' in that grand scale of things. I doubt we'd pay him anymore than 40k a week. His age, our status (we regularly abuse with 'lesser players') his ability. He'd get a signing on fee and modest wages I would think. I don't think he has the passing ability to cope here tbh.

21. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DS, no comment on Lennon earning £60,000/week?

22. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's another thing: are Premiership player salaries actually published anywhere? All I seem to see is "rumored" salaries, like Rio "supposedly" wanting 120k/week, or Keane "supposedly" being the highest paid player on the squad. Does this not become publicly documented? I guess I'm just used to the way its done here, where athlete salary information is readily available for the major sports.

23. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Id be sincerely disappointed if Boateng came to this club, and was being paid more than 40k p/w wages. He shouldnt be anyones major transfer target, who is aiming on winning things.

Then Stuart Dowing? I'd stick with MGP. Infact, we were linked with him before he went to Blackburn, dont know what happend. Its going to be extremely hard to get him if Blackburn qualify for Europe.

Guys, I still have this feeling that Duscher may come here. Not that I want it or anything.

24. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    We're going to be in 4competitions again next season, plus ECQ and the fact Rooney will have been active all through the Summer should mean he's not seeing full game time for us until around October or November.

We've worked him like a mule this season because of the early exits, but I don't think we'll do that next year...surely? I'd expect Rossi to get his chances (full PL debut etc) and I personally expect him to seaze those chances and prove to the manager he is worthy of getting games and from that point on we'll see a four striker rotation, but with Ruud/Saha switched more frequently than Rooney/Rossi.

Rossi's time as a reserve is at an end soon and either we're gonna use him or he's gonna get loaned out. :( I hope it's the first scenario! I very much doubt he'll be tried as a CM. He's an OM at bestall that tracking back is not his game, he's lazy in that regard and very focused on hurting the opposition rather than helping his team defend.

25. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Tbh, all I saw was Boatang - 80k. :eek: Lennon would be on £25-40k here. We don't pay unknown entities very much. Quite notorious for it actually. I don't how in the world Miller got such a cushy deal £40 ********ing k >_<