If you have to choose between...

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by Untroubled by Reason, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Untroubled by Reason

Dec 5, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ... a Mini Cooper S, a Volkswagen GTI and a Fiat 500 Abarth, which would you choose, and why?

By way of background, I'm about a year or two away from making a car purchase. I've been driving the base model Mini Cooper the last couple of years and I've liked it pretty well. I'd like something with just a little more "umph," however.

Trust me, I'm not leaving the decision up to you! :eek: But I am interested in your thoughts, experiences, etc.

2. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    GTI for space. Otherwise probably Abarth for style.

3. Playboy Red Devil

May 3, 2010
    West Hollywood
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    All my friends who owned a Volks had some kind of mechanical problems and always advised me to never get one. Whereas, a few friends who owns a mini all seem to love it and recommends it to me.

4. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    BMW over VW any day... but it also depends on which VWs, GTIs are produced in Wolfsburg, as opposed to north-american-assembled jettas and beetles. Also, as a general rule of thumb, German cars need more maintainance during the first 50k km, esp compared to Japanese, but in the end will run double as long.

5. Playboy Red Devil

May 3, 2010
    West Hollywood
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Just to add on to your post, the three friends who were not satisfied with their VW owned a Jetta. I had three other friends who owned a beetle (not he old school 60's type), and two of the friends hated it because of maintenance issues and the third had no problem what so ever.

6. Untroubled by Reason

Dec 5, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the insights!

7. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, since I just bought a FIAT 500 about six weeks ago, I'd choose the Abarth.

:)

8. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I can't imagine the Fiat not having trouble when it comes to maintenance either tbh, though. Not sure about Abarth, but I'd püut Fiat one category beneath VW in terms of quality and durability (which is not necessarily bad, mind you, and this is purely based on European built models).

9. Untroubled by Reason

Dec 5, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're starting to see a few of them down here in the wilds of Southern Maryland. Six weeks on, I bet you're pretty enthusiastic about it now, but I'd be curious what your opinion is in a year.

10. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I do believe this makes all the difference in the world. If the OP wants something with a more "umph", I'd go with the GTI, preferably a 6 speed manual and not the DSG. Having driven the GTI's sister car, the Audi A3 in the past, I'd say that the GTI is a very fun car to drive. If space hadn't been an issue for me a couple of years ago, I would have bought the GTI.

11. PonosBosne

PonosBosne Red Card

Jan 11, 2011
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    GTI hands down specially if it's a VR6 GTI or R32 now those Golfs are just amazing.

12. bebo

bebo Red Card

Nov 7, 2011
    mini cooper...I love this car